RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

steering column rattling DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 02:09 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yinan0124
Hey Vlad, have you finished posting the DIY steering column replacement video ? Like what I replied to 10RXAWD, my local mechanics told me the steering shaft is the culprit and my noise sounds exactly like his car's. But this doesn't mean you're wrong, since there are many successful cases on this. Do you have videos when you're driving with the noise ? The constant noise on rough roads when driving may be easier to identify. Maybe I should take it to another trustworthy mechanics to do the inspection before buying a new steering column assembly.
Im in process of editing video,my issue was about steering column all that rattling when you are on bumpy road abd knocking noise when in park are gone after I replaced steering column.And dont buy new steering column get used one of ebay 13-15 years
Old 10-26-19, 02:30 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VladMel
Im in process of editing video,my issue was about steering column all that rattling when you are on bumpy road abd knocking noise when in park are gone after I replaced steering column.And dont buy new steering column get used one of ebay 13-15 years
Yeah I agree with you. But why the dealer is going to replace the steering shaft, since 10RXAWD's video showed exactly the same noise with us ?
Old 10-26-19, 02:31 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Yeah I agree with you. But why the dealer is going to replace the steering shaft, since 10RXAWD's video showed exactly the same noise with us ?
To charge you more do not replace everything dealer tells you do it one by one
Old 10-26-19, 02:43 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think your car's noise is the same with mine and Vlad's car. I went to lexus dealer and they told me the steering column assembly needs replacement. But my local mechanics told me the culprit is my car's steering shaft... I'm totally confused now.

But there are many threads about steering wheel column noise on internet and there are many cases that people's noise goes away after replacing the steering column. Can you talk to you dealer about my confusion ?

If we just need to replace steering shaft, it will be far cheaper than the steering column replacement.

The dealer wanted to only replace the steering column shaft plus the 2 front drive axle assemblies. However, after arguing about the price and how I didn't want to pursue litigation but instead work it out with them. The next day they withdrew the offer of paying for half because of me using the word litigation! Super pissed! Back to square one!! So pissed!

Taking it to a family friend that works for a used Lexus dealer. Dropping off on Monday night, so should know for sure what is wrong by Tuesday. He did mention that he could replace with a used steering column assembly from a couple of model years newer. I'm not opposed to that, but we will see what he finds. Very disappointed with the Lexus dealership I bought it from and the fact they'd back out of the offer they gave to me just one day prior.

Last edited by 10RXAWD; 10-26-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-27-19, 08:20 AM
VladMel
Rookie

Default Steering column replacement diy

The following 6 users liked this post by VladMel:
bluebunny (12-24-23), crldz (12-03-20), Jamabek (12-06-19), JATS (11-07-19), Kinger (03-02-21), LarsRX (04-07-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-28-19, 02:40 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Thank you for your work! I just ordered a used part from ebay and hope I can make the replacement by myself after watching your videos several times
Old 10-28-19, 03:56 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Thank you for your work! I just ordered a used part from ebay and hope I can make the replacement by myself after watching your videos several times
Yes sir,nothing difficult as you can see from video and tools are super simple.If you will have any question just feel free to ask and good luck!)
Old 11-09-19, 12:29 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VladMel
Yes sir,nothing difficult as you can see from video and tools are super simple.If you will have any question just feel free to ask and good luck!)
Sir, I got stuck at the first step. I tried really hard to remove the bolts that holds the airbag, but it just doesn’t move... Did you have a hard time removing it?
Old 11-15-19, 01:24 PM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir, I got stuck at the first step. I tried really hard to remove the bolts that holds the airbag, but it just doesn’t move... Did you have a hard time removing it?
It should not be hard to remove, make sure you're using the correct torx bit size and give it a good turning.

I've purchased a replacement rack from a 2013 RX, I will be attempting this fix promptly. Looks easy enough.
Old 11-15-19, 01:25 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Talaga
It should not be hard to remove, make sure you're using the correct torx bit size and give it a good turning.

I've purchased a replacement rack from a 2013 RX, I will be attempting this fix promptly. Looks easy enough.
Easy as bicycle lol
Old 11-15-19, 01:32 PM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any tips before I attempt?

Anything I should know about lining up the steering etc?
Old 11-15-19, 01:34 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Talaga
Any tips before I attempt?

Anything I should know about lining up the steering etc?
Maybe after you will be done with replacement,steering wheel need to be aligned which is front wheel alignment
Old 11-15-19, 07:01 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Originally Posted by 10RXAWD
The dealer wanted to only replace the steering column shaft plus the 2 front drive axle assemblies. However, after arguing about the price and how I didn't want to pursue litigation but instead work it out with them. The next day they withdrew the offer of paying for half because of me using the word litigation! Super pissed! Back to square one!! So pissed!

Taking it to a family friend that works for a used Lexus dealer. Dropping off on Monday night, so should know for sure what is wrong by Tuesday. He did mention that he could replace with a used steering column assembly from a couple of model years newer. I'm not opposed to that, but we will see what he finds. Very disappointed with the Lexus dealership I bought it from and the fact they'd back out of the offer they gave to me just one day prior.
Got the car back today.. noise is still present after column assembly and steering shaft replacement. Ended up having him put in a new shaft with a used assembly. Noise is still present when driving over light bumps. Also, now I have noise when accelerating. Sounds almost like a hissing noise. But is only present when accelerating/when rpm is higher. Almost like it's not sealed off completely from the engine compartment.. super disappointed that this didn't get solved.. he had to replace the brake booster as well due to him accidentally cracking it.. but he did that for free. Any ideas on the interior noise with rpm?? Also, not sure what to do with the rattle..
Old 11-16-19, 06:18 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,171 Likes on 999 Posts

Hissing noise sounds like the brake booster or its connections leaking.
Old 11-16-19, 07:57 AM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Hissing noise sounds like the brake booster or its connections leaking.
Where is that located? I'd like to have a look so I can try and locate anything wrong.. sounds like alot of airflow, but it gets louder as the RPMs increase. If I let off the gas, it stops (unless it downshifts and the RPMs jump, then it's back). It is definitely related to engine speed.

Last edited by 10RXAWD; 11-16-19 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: steering column rattling DIY?