RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

steering column rattling DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 02:20 PM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 10RXAWD
Where is that located? I'd like to have a look so I can try and locate anything wrong.. sounds like alot of airflow, but it gets louder as the RPMs increase. If I let off the gas, it stops (unless it downshifts and the RPMs jump, then it's back). It is definitely related to engine speed.
Opposite side of the brake pedal in the engine bay, or thereabouts. The engine assists braking power by using vacuum, the more RPM, the more vacuum. Could be what you are hearing.

I'm not sure where you're from or what kind of garage had done the work for you but it is probably wise to let them know.

Everything you're dealing with isn't normal and should be addressed.

Last edited by Talaga; 11-16-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-16-19, 08:38 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Talaga
Opposite side of the brake pedal in the engine bay, or thereabouts. The engine assists braking power by using vacuum, the more RPM, the more vacuum. Could be what you are hearing.

I'm not sure where you're from or what kind of garage had done the work for you but it is probably wise to let them know.

Everything you're dealing with isn't normal and should be addressed.

I'm in Pleasant Grove, UT. I used a little dealership in Orem, UT that sells mainly used Lexus vehicles. The dealership owner is a family friend. The service guy is usually great! All my family has used him for their Lexus vehicles.. but seems he may be off his game lately.. He stripped out 1 wire from the wiring harness that powers my passenger side brake lights (while replacing the tail light). He is also the one who replaced my steering column with a used assembly from a 2013 model, but I still have that exact same noise coming from it on rough surfaces! He "accidentally" broke the brake booster when taking out the steering column assembly, but replaced it with a new one. But I guess it wasn't replaced correctly..

This situation totally sucks. He had the car for a week to fix everything, but now it's worse off than when I dropped it off.. Was going to be driving out to Nebraska to see some family for Thanksgiving, but not so sure that'll be happening anymore.. Not unless he can get everything fixed before next Monday!
Old 11-16-19, 08:43 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in Pleasant Grove, UT. I used a little dealership in Orem, UT that sells mainly used Lexus vehicles. The dealership owner is a family friend. The service guy is usually great! All my family has used him for their Lexus vehicles.. but seems he may be off his game lately.. He stripped out 1 wire from the wiring harness that powers my passenger side brake lights (while replacing the tail light). He is also the one who replaced my steering column with a used assembly from a 2013 model, but I still have that exact same noise coming from it on rough surfaces! He "accidentally" broke the brake booster when taking out the steering column assembly, but replaced it with a new one. But I guess it wasn't replaced correctly..

This situation totally sucks. He had the car for a week to fix everything, but now it's worse off than when I dropped it off.. Was going to be driving out to Nebraska to see some family for Thanksgiving, but not so sure that'll be happening anymore.. Not unless he can get everything fixed before next Monday!
Damn thats crazy,thats why I fix my cars by myself and always know whats going on with it.
Old 11-16-19, 09:12 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VladMel
Damn thats crazy,thats why I fix my cars by myself and always know whats going on with it.
I used to do exactly that several years ago when I had a garage and tools. I did all my own work on my old 01' Audi A4. But now I don't have the space.

Your video was great by the way! Makes it seem simple-ish. One question.. Why only use that one piece of the unit, and not the whole thing?
Old 11-17-19, 09:43 AM
VladMel
Rookie

I used to do exactly that several years ago when I had a garage and tools. I did all my own work on my old 01' Audi A4. But now I don't have the space.

Your video was great by the way! Makes it seem simple-ish. One question.. Why only use that one piece of the unit, and not the whole thing?
Because if you will put the whole thing the car wont start,because the replacement part might be not locked as you shut of vehicle steering column locks itself its like anti theft feature.ECU will see that new part is unlocked and wont let you start car) simple as is
Old 11-17-19, 11:18 AM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Because if you will put the whole thing the car wont start,because the replacement part might be not locked as you shut of vehicle steering column locks itself its like anti theft feature.ECU will see that new part is unlocked and wont let you start car) simple as is
Gotcha. I assumed the mechanic replaced the whole assembly. I'll have to find out. I'm heading back tomorrow for him to fix all this crap.. since the noise is still present, do you have any idea what would be causing it now (since the whole column was replaced)? It's crazy to me that even after replacement, it's still making the same noise.. The new column came from a 2013 model year.
Old 11-17-19, 11:21 AM
VladMel
Rookie

Gotcha. I assumed the mechanic replaced the whole assembly. I'll have to find out. I'm heading back tomorrow for him to fix all this crap.. since the noise is still present, do you have any idea what would be causing it now (since the whole column was replaced)? It's crazy to me that even after replacement, it's still making the same noise.. The new column came from a 2013 model year.
Double check all numbers that you have on steering column specially. Aisin number it has to be with the ending if -21 or -81
Old 11-17-19, 12:31 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Double check all numbers that you have on steering column specially. Aisin number it has to be with the ending if -21 or -81
81 is the updated part number correct?
Old 11-17-19, 12:32 PM
VladMel
Rookie

81 is the updated part number correct?
Yes sir 81
Old 11-17-19, 12:43 PM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

Yes sir 81
21 is no good?
Old 11-17-19, 12:53 PM
VladMel
Rookie

21 is no good?
Im not sure,because I used 81
Old 11-17-19, 12:56 PM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

I've purchased a second hand 2013 column so I'm hoping it is not affected by the same issue I'm trying to get rid of.
Old 11-19-19, 10:35 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

I've purchased a second hand 2013 column so I'm hoping it is not affected by the same issue I'm trying to get rid of.
I did the exact same thing, but the problem remained.. there was a difference though! The only difference was that it wasn't making the noise all the time, but only if the steering wheel was completely centered at a certain position. But the noise definitely wasn't as bad with the column from a 2013 model year as it was prior to putting it in..

I took it back to the mechanic who performed the work. He's thinking it could possibly be the sway bar end links that is causing the last bit of noise I'm hearing.. Does anyone have any kind of input on that?
Old 11-20-19, 10:38 AM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, after doing such research, I think all the steering column assembly sold on EBay for 2013-2015 rx350, have a part number 45250-0e021, although they should be numbered 45250-0e081 according to Lexus technical survive bulletin. I think this is pretty weird.
But, since 45250-0e021 is used for 2013-2015 rx, I assume it is the same as 45250-0e081.
Old 11-20-19, 12:55 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yinan0124
Hi, after doing such research, I think all the steering column assembly sold on EBay for 2013-2015 rx350, have a part number 45250-0e021, although they should be numbered 45250-0e081 according to Lexus technical survive bulletin. I think this is pretty weird.
But, since 45250-0e021 is used for 2013-2015 rx, I assume it is the same as 45250-0e081.
Yes sir its same but differences is that -21 is made in usa,-81 made in japan

Quick Reply: steering column rattling DIY?