RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

steering column rattling DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 01:40 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VladMel
Yes sir its same but differences is that -21 is made in usa,-81 made in japan
Well that sucks.. So really the ones affected by this issue will be the Canada built models... A friend of mine has a 2010 Japan built model with 155k miles on it. Doesn't have this issue at all.. Will the Japan built assembly go into the Canada built model without problems? Mine is a Canada built, and I've noticed that most that have this issue (any many other issues) have the Canada built ones (Vin starts with 2T2 instead of a J).

I'm surprised this wasn't a full recall on the Canadian built models..
Old 11-21-19, 01:36 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir its same but differences is that -21 is made in usa,-81 made in japan
hey dude, today I took my car to my local mechanic and he did exactly the same as you suggested in the video. Upon pressing the brake pedal, the green light appears on the start button, but the vehicle cannot be started. Do you know what could be the possible reason? Thank you.
Old 11-21-19, 02:40 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yinan0124
hey dude, today I took my car to my local mechanic and he did exactly the same as you suggested in the video. Upon pressing the brake pedal, the green light appears on the start button, but the vehicle cannot be started. Do you know what could be the possible reason? Thank you.
Hello,as I remember As soon as I was done with replacement I pressed start button and car started loading information and stuff and on the gps screen there was a hard drive image after that was finished I tried to start car again and it was good
Old 11-21-19, 04:36 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Hello,as I remember As soon as I was done with replacement I pressed start button and car started loading information and stuff and on the gps screen there was a hard drive image after that was finished I tried to start car again and it was good
It seems you started car twice? So did the engine start in the first round that the car loaded information and stuffs?
Old 11-22-19, 12:15 AM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I received my replacement steering column from a 2013 model.

Just to confirm I'm from the UK with the right hand drive RX450 hybrid.

There appears to be the same kind of play and noise in the back end of the column, it is more pronounced in the car with my original column as I have the steering wheel which makes it easier to assert more force.

With the replacement column on the table, I can turn the shaft and it makes the same kind of noise, albeit a little quieter.

I'm not even going to attempt a replacement with a column that I have no confidence in.

Shame really..
Old 11-22-19, 04:45 AM
VladMel
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems you started car twice? So did the engine start in the first round that the car loaded information and stuffs?
First time it didn’t start but after it finished loading information it started
Old 11-22-19, 10:09 AM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Talaga

There appears to be the same kind of play and noise in the back end of the column, it is more pronounced in the car with my original column as I have the steering wheel which makes it easier to assert more force.

With the replacement column on the table, I can turn the shaft and it makes the same kind of noise, albeit a little quieter.

I'm not even going to attempt a replacement with a column that I have no confidence in.

Shame really..
I had the same thing happen.. Except, I replaced mine with one from a 2013 (I have a 2010 model year). Supposedly, the problem was fixed in 2013 forward. But doesn't seem that it was.. I'm still waiting on my car from the shop. They are replacing the sway bar end links as they think that may be the culprit of the tiny bit of noise left (free of charge). But I dont think that is the issue.. well, we will find out shortly..
Old 11-22-19, 08:15 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 10RXAWD
I had the same thing happen.. Except, I replaced mine with one from a 2013 (I have a 2010 model year). Supposedly, the problem was fixed in 2013 forward. But doesn't seem that it was.. I'm still waiting on my car from the shop. They are replacing the sway bar end links as they think that may be the culprit of the tiny bit of noise left (free of charge). But I dont think that is the issue.. well, we will find out shortly..
Got the car back, and took it right back to them! I'm getting sick of this. They put on new tie rod ends and what do you know, the noise persists (just as I told them it would). The damn steering column is rattling like rat on speed inside of a plastic cup. The horn doesn't work after replacement of the steering column either. Good thing I got a rental car for the next 2 weeks.. I've honestly been looking to go with a different car after dealing with this thing.

Old 11-23-19, 06:05 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Shame really..
What plan do you have for this issue now? Looking for another used steering column assembly? It's pretty weird that some people's rattling noise is gone after replacement, while some still exists.
Old 11-23-19, 06:08 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Got the car back, and took it right back to them! I'm getting sick of this. They put on new tie rod ends and what do you know, the noise persists (just as I told them it would). The damn steering column is rattling like rat on speed inside of a plastic cup. The horn doesn't work after replacement of the steering column either. Good thing I got a rental car for the next 2 weeks.. I've honestly been looking to go with a different car after dealing with this thing.
Hello, my car is still at my local mechanic. After putting the used 2013 steering column assembly in, he couldn't start my car, even the start button turns green when pressing the brake pedal. Could you please ask your mechanic if they run into this problem after the replacement and possible solutions? Thank you. I assume I'm the most unlucky one now My car could be started....
Old 11-23-19, 07:01 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Hello, my car is still at my local mechanic. After putting the used 2013 steering column assembly in, he couldn't start my car, even the start button turns green when pressing the brake pedal. Could you please ask your mechanic if they run into this problem after the replacement and possible solutions? Thank you. I assume I'm the most unlucky one now My car could be started....
Sure thing! i had that happen once, but it was before I had the column replaced.. have them press the brake pedal, and when the start button turns green, turn the steering wheel rigorously left and right. While turning it left and right, hit the start button. That worked for me, but this was prior to replacement. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll ask my mechanic if he ran into anything like that.

if it works, post an update on how the used column is performing. I'm curious to know. Mine was also replaced with one from a 2013 year. But my noise is still present.. if yours is gone, let me know what one they used (Japan or Canada built)
Old 11-24-19, 06:16 AM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Sure thing! i had that happen once, but it was before I had the column replaced.. have them press the brake pedal, and when the start button turns green, turn the steering wheel rigorously left and right. While turning it left and right, hit the start button. That worked for me, but this was prior to replacement. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll ask my mechanic if he ran into anything like that.

if it works, post an update on how the used column is performing. I'm curious to know. Mine was also replaced with one from a 2013 year. But my noise is still present.. if yours is gone, let me know what one they used (Japan or Canada built)
please ask your mechanic how to start the vehicle😂 my mechanic has tried nearly everything. I showed him the video on YouTube about combining the new one’s motor and the old one’s upper part together for the steering wheel lock mechanism. Now the steering wheel is locked as it was before the replacement, but when he press the brake pedal, the start button turns green but couldn’t start the engine when pressing on it. I bought one #45250-0e021 from EBay, which came from a 2013 rx with 98K mileage. I’ll let you know if it works when my car could be started.
Old 11-25-19, 07:07 AM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

What plan do you have for this issue now? Looking for another used steering column assembly? It's pretty weird that some people's rattling noise is gone after replacement, while some still exists.
Honestly, nothing at the moment because now I'm afraid the car not starting. While the steering noise is a pain, at least the car starts.

Please let me know if you guys find anything in regards to getting it started after having the replacements done.

I have kept an eye on eBay but there isn't much on there.
Old 11-25-19, 10:27 AM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, nothing at the moment because now I'm afraid the car not starting. While the steering noise is a pain, at least the car starts.

Please let me know if you guys find anything in regards to getting it started after having the replacements done.

I have kept an eye on eBay but there isn't much on there.
My mechanic is out until Wednesday. I'll call him then and ask about the starting issue.
Old 11-25-19, 10:28 AM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

My mechanic is out until Wednesday. I'll call him then and ask about the starting issue.
You're a gentleman, thank you.
​​​​

Quick Reply: steering column rattling DIY?