RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

steering column rattling DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 10:23 PM
cless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, i have been following this thread for years and I haven’t found the correct part for my 2010. Still I am not giving up.... I just one to ask, last time I checked on eBay there was a remafactured one from china... do you think is worth the try? It cost 350
Old 11-25-19, 11:49 PM
Talaga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cless
Hi guys, i have been following this thread for years and I haven’t found the correct part for my 2010. Still I am not giving up.... I just one to ask, last time I checked on eBay there was a remafactured one from china... do you think is worth the try? It cost 350
​​​​​​
i didn't think these were serviceable items.
Old 11-26-19, 10:18 AM
cless
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Talaga
​​​​​​
i didn't think these were serviceable items.
yeah, i agree. the seller couldn't give me an convincing answer about the part.
Old 11-27-19, 06:48 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10RXAWD
My mechanic is out until Wednesday. I'll call him then and ask about the starting issue.
I got my car started today with the 2013 steering column assembly and the ratting noise is gone. But after the replacement, my steering wheel's auto tilt function is gone. It will not resume to original place after turning off the engine, nor can I move it with back and forth with the button beside it. In one word, my steering wheel's position is fixed and cannot be tilted. Do you know the possible reasons?
And for the root cause, this is my opinion. I think the shaft, connected to the big motor on the bottom of steering column assembly, will make rattling noise when I shake it.
Old 11-27-19, 06:52 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VladMel
First time it didn’t start but after it finished loading information it started
Hey dude, I told my mechanic to follow exactly what you did in the video and then my car could be started. Before this, he removed the electronic parts from my old column onto the new one and put the new one into my vehicle, which is the possible reason why it couldn't be started.
The rattling noise is gone, but my steering wheel auto tilt is not working He didn't have much time to deal with it today before I'd like to drive it back and I made an appointment next Tuesday. Do you know the possible cause of this issue? When I hit the tilt button, it will make a clicking sound once and then nothing will happen, and the steering wheel will not move. But I can still drive with it though.
Old 11-28-19, 03:56 AM
VladMel
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yinan0124
Hey dude, I told my mechanic to follow exactly what you did in the video and then my car could be started. Before this, he removed the electronic parts from my old column onto the new one and put the new one into my vehicle, which is the possible reason why it couldn't be started.
The rattling noise is gone, but my steering wheel auto tilt is not working He didn't have much time to deal with it today before I'd like to drive it back and I made an appointment next Tuesday. Do you know the possible cause of this issue? When I hit the tilt button, it will make a clicking sound once and then nothing will happen, and the steering wheel will not move. But I can still drive with it though.
Hmm thats weird,but if your mechanic did everything as i said (he used top part with motors that moving steering column from your original piece) than everything should be working,maybe he didn’t connect some clips,I suggest removing plastic covers and start car without them to see what’s going on with it
Old 12-05-19, 06:00 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm thats weird,but if your mechanic did everything as i said (he used top part with motors that moving steering column from your original piece) than everything should be working,maybe he didn’t connect some clips,I suggest removing plastic covers and start car without them to see what’s going on with it
my mechanic is getting another steering column assembly and will put it in next week. I'm noticing a lot more engine compartment noise after the replacement.. any ideas what it would be? Is there anything that would have been removed that cuts off noise from the engine compartment?
Old 12-05-19, 06:07 PM
VladMel
Rookie

my mechanic is getting another steering column assembly and will put it in next week. I'm noticing a lot more engine compartment noise after the replacement.. any ideas what it would be? Is there anything that would have been removed that cuts off noise from the engine compartment?
Well,there is only steering shaft that connected to the steering column,but it should not make any noise after replacement,have your steering column replaced first and then check other things that bothers you
Old 12-05-19, 08:59 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Well,there is only steering shaft that connected to the steering column,but it should not make any noise after replacement,have your steering column replaced first and then check other things that bothers you
We already replaced the steering column once.. it didn't resolve the rattling noise though... That's why we're trying it again with a newer used one (30K miles 2013 made in Japan). However, after the initial replacement I noticed engine noise when accelerating. I pinpointed it down to the rubber boot that the steering shaft goes through. If I press my foot on the boot, the engine noise is gone. Is that something that could get damaged during installation? Is there a replacement part for it?
Old 12-07-19, 08:22 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Can you take a picture of your steering shaft shield down by the brake pedal? I think i found the colprit of the engine noise I'm getting. I think theres a cover that goes around that black hole and seals off any noise.. you can see in my pic that there is an imprint around it on the grey carpeting material.. If anyone could take a pic and post it, thatd be great! When i push on the black piece, the engine noise I'm hearing disappears. So i think something is missing. I look off the circle metal clip, but I think there's a plastic/rubber cover that goes around the whole thing..

Last edited by 10RXAWD; 12-07-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 02:43 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Can you take a picture of your steering shaft shield down by the brake pedal? I think i found the colprit of the engine noise I'm getting. I think theres a cover that goes around that black hole and seals off any noise.. you can see in my pic that there is an imprint around it on the grey carpeting material.. If anyone could take a pic and post it, thatd be great! When i push on the black piece, the engine noise I'm hearing disappears. So i think something is missing. I look off the circle metal clip, but I think there's a plastic/rubber cover that goes around the whole thing..
Is anyone able to take a picture of that part? It's down by the brake pedal and gas pedal. I'm trying to see if I'm missing a piece..
Old 12-09-19, 02:45 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Is anyone able to take a picture of that part? It's down by the brake pedal and gas pedal. I'm trying to see if I'm missing a piece..

here take a look
Old 12-09-19, 05:37 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

here take a look
Thank you! It looks like yours has a a collar type of thing that runs around it. Mine however seems to be ripped off f0r some reason. I'll do some more research..
Old 01-31-20, 07:11 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys! I posted in this thread awhile ago. After 2 bad replacement columns, I ended up just biting the bullet on a brand new steering column (effing $2,100).. Had it put in, the mechanic took it over to get an alignment done. It drove there and back to the shop. Then boom... Car will no longer start.. it cranks, but no start.. this completely baffled both of us.. it worked not even 10 minutes prior to that. We had a guy come out to reprogram the computers, no dice.. We don't know what happened.. it's getting towed to the Lexus dealership in the morning for them to dive into it (at the other shops expense). I'm totally baffled. Does anyone have a clue what could have caused this? There's no codes pulling up. The only thing he mentioned was something about "pre collision". Idk if that was a code that he somehow got or what. But I'm hoping to find some kind of advice here before the car gets sent over to the dealership..

Just to recap: The car just had a brand new steering column assembly put in, and apparently started the first time, but not the second time. The car does crank, just no start. The car shows no lights or warning, and throws no codes (from what the mechanic said, there may a pre-collision code?). The car has a brand new interstate battery I put into it not even a month ago. It cranks, but wont start. The mechanic says it's not getting air, or fuel for some reason. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 10RXAWD; 02-01-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 10:23 AM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Default Updated to previous post

Hey guys! I posted in this thread awhile ago. After 2 bad replacement columns, I ended up just biting the bullet on a brand new steering column (effing $2,100).. Had it put in, the mechanic took it over to get an alignment done. It drove there and back to the shop. Then boom... Car will no longer start.. it cranks, but no start.. this completely baffled both of us.. it worked not even 10 minutes prior to that. We had a guy come out to reprogram the computers, no dice.. We don't know what happened.. it's getting towed to the Lexus dealership in the morning for them to dive into it (at the other shops expense). I'm totally baffled. Does anyone have a clue what could have caused this? There's no codes pulling up. The only thing he mentioned was something about "pre collision". Idk if that was a code that he somehow got or what. But I'm hoping to find some kind of advice here before the car gets sent over to the dealership..

Just to recap: The car just had a brand new steering column assembly put in, and apparently started the first time, but not the second time. The car does crank, just no start. The car shows no lights or warning, and throws no codes (from what the mechanic said, there may a pre-collision code?). The car has a brand new interstate battery I put into it not even a month ago. It cranks, but wont start. The mechanic says it's not getting air, or fuel for some reason. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
I just received my car back. All the noise is completely gone. Feels brand new! All it needed was a brand new steering column assembly from Lexus! Haha steering feels perfect and responsive. Cost was a little more than I wanted. But after going through 3 different used columns, I'm just glad it's done. They had to replace the clock spring as well. That was the reason the car wouldn't start.. but money well spent.

Quick Reply: steering column rattling DIY?