RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cpo, will dealer remove?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 04:10 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cpo, will dealer remove?

i understand the cpo added at the dealer is appx $2000 if purchased. Will a dealer reduce the price and be willing to remove the cpo if you ask?

alerternatively, do you think my dealer will buy a rx350 for me if I tell him what I want, year, miles, price range etc and no cpo? Right notes, they are selling for $34k for a 2015 w 32-35k miles. With Nab bsm and 19s
Old 05-09-17, 06:45 AM
tkill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of a dealer removing the CPO and reducing the price but it may happen. I imagine the bigger part of the cost of the CPO is the work they do before offering it for sale, to be sure it meets all the CPO standards (i.e. has to have newer all matching tires, etc). There's no way they can take that back, so that cost is staying.

I have had great luck telling a salesman exactly what I am looking for, then when he gets it in he will let me know and I go buy it. You'll get exactly what you want that way, but you may not have much negotiating power and won't necessarily get a great deal that way.
Old 05-09-17, 09:23 AM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

There are two (there may be more but for simplicity lets stick with these two) costs in CPO. One is prep in the shop [inspections, repairs etc] and the other is the extended warranty. If the prep has been done then it is reasonable to ask for removal of extended warranty.

At the end it is money. As long as the dealership makes enough money they will agree to sell the vehicle as you want it.

Salim
Old 05-09-17, 09:39 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You need to have an idea of how much those 4 service appointments are worth to you and to the dealer. You aren't going to get $2000 off, no way.

If the dealer says sure, yes, we'll take off $200 off the price, you still going to take the deal?

As far as your question on buying for you . They won't necessarily buy FOR YOU unless you are giving them consideration (e.g. you give them the money right now and sign some kind of contract).
But you still should tell them what you are looking for in terms of colors or other thing and ask. Maybe they will sell it to you as-is, pre-cpo, maybe they won't.

At any Lexus dealership that has halfway decent sales people, is they will keep that in your record or remember what you are looking for, so your SALES rep will keep you in mind and notify you as a possible buyer when they have something you might like that they buy. But it's still first-come first serve, and the Dealer will still be buying a car they think they can sell, they aren't saving it for you.

You need to keep in mind still, that you may not be getting $2000 off, so you need to know what is the value to YOU for the cpo and what is your number.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-09-17 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 10:30 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

If the prep work for CPO compliance is already completed, there is not only the cost of having that work already completed, there is additional "soft value" in the fact that it's already done, even if you can skip out on the extended warranty portion.
Old 05-09-17, 10:51 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rdfish1
i understand the cpo added at the dealer is appx $2000 if purchased. Will a dealer reduce the price and be willing to remove the cpo if you ask?

alerternatively, do you think my dealer will buy a rx350 for me if I tell him what I want, year, miles, price range etc and no cpo? Right notes, they are selling for $34k for a 2015 w 32-35k miles. With Nab bsm and 19s
I'd try to knock down 2K. How come value of CPO has anything to do with negotiating. I always get 2-3 yo CPO vehicles which took care of initial steep depreciation.
That vehicle sounds like a base model. I won't buy a used vehicle w/o CPO. My dealer always gives me list of things covered with CPO in addition to remaining factory warranty. If you are not in a hurry, one you're looking for will be found sooner or later. But I am against the idea of dropping CPO coverage to knock down $2K in price.
I got a '15 RX-450h demo with ~10K miles, CPO for ~42K USD. I am in Calgary AB.
Old 05-10-17, 03:08 AM
rdfish1
Driver

I called dealer they are not willing to adj the price by removing the cpo. The vehicle price isn't bad considering it has the cpo and knowing how much the cpo costs but I see less value in the cpo given the high ratings and reliability of the 15 rx. His price for a fairly well loaded veh w 36k miles is 34k w the cpo. I found a non cpo from another luxury dealer for 30 but had a 800$ dealer fee. Still, at 31 vs 34k with appx same miles, the Lexus unit w the cpo is still pricey
Old 05-10-17, 10:24 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by rdfish1
I called dealer they are not willing to adj the price by removing the cpo. The vehicle price isn't bad considering it has the cpo and knowing how much the cpo costs but I see less value in the cpo given the high ratings and reliability of the 15 rx. His price for a fairly well loaded veh w 36k miles is 34k w the cpo. I found a non cpo from another luxury dealer for 30 but had a 800$ dealer fee. Still, at 31 vs 34k with appx same miles, the Lexus unit w the cpo is still pricey
If the other dealer is not a lexus dealer, most likely they only detailed the car and putting it up the same as they took it in.

In just pure $ that you have to do, to be certified after about 35kmiles means that most likely you're getting 4 new tires, an oil change+filter off before the sale, new wipers, new cabin air filter, and future 4 services. So in flat $ of maintenance you are pretty much have to spend, that is going to be about $1000 which brings you to only a $2k difference. The tires being a big chunk of that. I suppose you need to be more specific of what tires they put on the CPO, and if you want specific tires, the certification's tire change is wasted money for you.
You can ask the Lexus dealer for the Service Report from the CPO service so you can see what they did to certify it, if that helps your decision.
Old 05-11-17, 02:18 AM
rdfish1
Driver

This was helpful thank you. I was not aware of some of the things I do with part of the CPO process such as the new tires cabin filter air conditioner when she wipers of things you mentioned. I thought it was just an inspection and then a certification plus for services. The dealer I spoke to said that that is about a $3000 value course I realize that's overstated with your currently is some value in it. The one I'm looking at is at a luxury brand dealer it's just what you said they took it in playing that they did expect it will change and put it on the lot. It's in very good shape at the Carfax reveals no service history does it mean it wasn't done but there is no documented history and the tires are worn with 37,000 miles. I have another year to year and a half on the Michelin's. Part of my challenge is th blue is the color I like but it's so rare there's not many choose from and the only other CPO vehicle I found your blue is not my local Lexus dealer to crisis somewhat reasonably with the CPL it's another dealer who is meaningfully overpriced

Originally Posted by raytseng
If the other dealer is not a lexus dealer, most likely they only detailed the car and putting it up the same as they took it in.

In just pure $ that you have to do, to be certified after about 35kmiles means that most likely you're getting 4 new tires, an oil change+filter off before the sale, new wipers, new cabin air filter, and future 4 services. So in flat $ of maintenance you are pretty much have to spend, that is going to be about $1000 which brings you to only a $2k difference. The tires being a big chunk of that. I suppose you need to be more specific of what tires they put on the CPO, and if you want specific tires, the certification's tire change is wasted money for you.
You can ask the Lexus dealer for the Service Report from the CPO service so you can see what they did to certify it, if that helps your decision.
Old 05-11-17, 03:27 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a 12 with 28,000 miles on it had a cpo and figured I was getting screwed. First repair was a timing cover leak, 2500-3000, next was a problem with a rear brake assembly and trailing linkage cost to replace 500. Another was replacing two struts, they wanted to do one but I bit^&*& like crazy, I think about 250. Heat shield, 125. The next biggie was the steering column. I know early models had this problem but mine had a similar squeak so they removed it and repaired whatever they found but did not replace the column, squeak gone, around 1200 dollars. These were all done after the factory warranty was over. I bought this car thinking of its "perceived" reliability ratings!
BTW: The car had supposedly had it 30,000 mile service done when I bought it. First thing I did was pull the filters, DIRTY! Second I measured the brake linings and rotors, on the edge of needing replacement. The tires were new but couldn't be balanced found to be an out of spec rim. When I brought it back the next day they were in a panic for sure. New rim, all four rebalanced and an alignment. New brake pads and that "multi point" inspection done over with of course new filters. Oil was dirty and so I made them do all the fluid changes. It pays to have a wife that manages 100 attorneys.
Before I bought this car I checked it's history and the previous owner did all the required maintenance up until it was sold to the dealer but the 30000 maintenance was indicated on the as the dealer had done it.

Last edited by hovbuild; 05-11-17 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 09:47 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hovbuild
Bought a 12 with 28,000 miles on it had a cpo and figured I was getting screwed. First repair was a timing cover leak, 2500-3000, next was a problem with a rear brake assembly and trailing linkage cost to replace 500. Another was replacing two struts, they wanted to do one but I bit^&*& like crazy, I think about 250. Heat shield, 125. The next biggie was the steering column. I know early models had this problem but mine had a similar squeak so they removed it and repaired whatever they found but did not replace the column, squeak gone, around 1200 dollars. These were all done after the factory warranty was over. I bought this car thinking of its "perceived" reliability ratings!
BTW: The car had supposedly had it 30,000 mile service done when I bought it. First thing I did was pull the filters, DIRTY! Second I measured the brake linings and rotors, on the edge of needing replacement. The tires were new but couldn't be balanced found to be an out of spec rim. When I brought it back the next day they were in a panic for sure. New rim, all four rebalanced and an alignment. New brake pads and that "multi point" inspection done over with of course new filters. Oil was dirty and so I made them do all the fluid changes. It pays to have a wife that manages 100 attorneys.
Before I bought this car I checked it's history and the previous owner did all the required maintenance up until it was sold to the dealer but the 30000 maintenance was indicated on the as the dealer had done it.
. . Maybe some are abusing term CPO? after it runs out after
Getting a CPO vehicle, didn't your dealer give total list of what is covered with CPO? I got one. It is almost like a extension of factory warranty
Old 05-11-17, 09:55 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Basics of bargaining is getting lowered price or some thing extra included in the price. Knocking off something to get the lower price is fundamentally wrong, IMO. To officially designate CPO vehicle, it costs money, ~$2K and dropping CPO to get your price means your bargaining did not get anything extra and you are still paying full price. Official CPO vehicle comes with 200 point inspection sheet signed by mechanic and list of covered parts, service line by line as an addendum to residual factory warranty. Did they show you CPO document? Or just said it is CPO vehicle?
Old 05-11-17, 10:13 AM
raytseng
Instructor

i was trying to help the op break down the hard $ from the cpo for goods and services that are done with certainty versus the soft expected $ value that are warranty items or things that might happen bit might not happen.

From his word salad about colors, I think the OP is having trouble with himself making a decision and it is emotional to him rather than rational choice.

At a point negotiation is over and its time for OP to decide.

As a hypothetical, if either of the dealers came back and gave him a new number I still don't think he'd be able to pull the trigger and he still would be considering.
Assuming he cam afford it from a financial perspective. After that OP should spend some time to figure his stuff out and what he needs to feel good about buying a car. You either pull the trigger or wait. What you decide shouldn't make you feel bad or anxious though,you need to be good with it.

Last edited by raytseng; 05-11-17 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-11-17, 03:19 PM
rdfish1
Driver

i was trying to help the op break down the hard $ from the cpo for goods and services that are done with certainty versus the soft expected $ value that are warranty items or things that might happen bit might not happen.

From his word salad about colors, I think the OP is having trouble with himself making a decision and it is emotional to him rather than rational choice.

At a point negotiation is over and its time for OP to decide.

As a hypothetical, if either of the dealers came back and gave him a new number I still don't think he'd be able to pull the trigger and he still would be considering.
Assuming he cam afford it from a financial perspective. After that OP should spend some time to figure his stuff out and what he needs to feel good about buying a car. You either pull the trigger or wait. What you decide shouldn't make you feel bad or anxious though,you need to be good with it.
LOL...what a weirdo thing to blab on about. Who are you talking to, yourself or are you trying to convince everyone else that what you said before was sound advice. Give me a break, the question simply arose bc the only Lexus I purchased before was certified and the dealer offered to sell it at a Discount without the certification. Maybe he was just reducing the price, I don't know, but given the quality of the vehicle and it's reliability records, I just don't see much value in the cpo, especially given the added cost of it.

Am I ready to buy and make a decision, sorta, I was really just starting to look bc we are getting another car when my daughter turns 16 in June so technically, I wouldn't really buy one unless I got a good deal since it's a month or two early. With that said, I've realized blue is not readily available so will need to think about timing.

Can I afford it, well, I haven't financed a house let alone a car since I was 30 and 24 respectively, and that was a good number of years ago but thanks for your speculation, I'm sure that was additive to the conversation.
Old 05-11-17, 04:56 PM
raytseng
Instructor

sounds like you got everything figured out then. And I'm out.

Quick Reply: Cpo, will dealer remove?