RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Squeak/Chirping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 07:30 PM
linkness
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeak/Chirping Noise

Hi guys! I have a 2015 base model RX. Lately, I've been noticing a squeaking noise when I drive over uneven roads or bumps. It sounds like its coming from inside and in the right rear of the car. The squeak isn't very loud but its quite annoying. Have any of you experience this type of problem?

Here is what the sounds like
Old 05-13-17, 01:25 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,155 Likes on 986 Posts

Take it back to the dealer as it is under warranty. I did not hear anything.
The following users liked this post:
rrichard7 (08-25-21)
Old 05-14-17, 12:37 PM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by linkness
Hi guys! I have a 2015 base model RX. Lately, I've been noticing a squeaking noise when I drive over uneven roads or bumps. It sounds like its coming from inside and in the right rear of the car. The squeak isn't very loud but its quite annoying. Have any of you experience this type of problem?

Here is what the sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbUEq3Fhoic.
I have had the same squeak.... yes I can hear it...I'm OCD, like you for squeaks
Multiple visits to dealer to fix...of course they never hear it. Since i notice it more in hot weather, I had them leave it outside in sun after servicing. They said they didn't hear it. When driving out of dealership and a speed bump I heard it. Had a service tech come out and ride. He heard it too. It was coming from the flap over where the back /"trunk" door latches just above the bumper. You can push the flap down and hear squeak. He said last visit he sprayed with silicone. He said he would order a new part. I have not been back, but I put a small piece of fabric under the latch to prevent the flap from moving and it hasn't squeaked (except for a few times). Also check that your spare is firmly bolted down. The service writer said they usually spray silicone on a parts on rear door and may add some padding..Not sue if was just putting me off.

I drove around the neighborhood and found places that caused the squeak. Then I rode around again with the rear door open (drive slowly to not damage the door bouncing up and down),and no squeak. This helped to identify the problem as the rear hatch.

good luck...let us know what you find out
Old 05-31-17, 07:03 PM
linkness
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZJoe
I have had the same squeak.... yes I can hear it...I'm OCD, like you for squeaks
Multiple visits to dealer to fix...of course they never hear it. Since i notice it more in hot weather, I had them leave it outside in sun after servicing. They said they didn't hear it. When driving out of dealership and a speed bump I heard it. Had a service tech come out and ride. He heard it too. It was coming from the flap over where the back /"trunk" door latches just above the bumper. You can push the flap down and hear squeak. He said last visit he sprayed with silicone. He said he would order a new part. I have not been back, but I put a small piece of fabric under the latch to prevent the flap from moving and it hasn't squeaked (except for a few times). Also check that your spare is firmly bolted down. The service writer said they usually spray silicone on a parts on rear door and may add some padding..Not sue if was just putting me off.

I drove around the neighborhood and found places that caused the squeak. Then I rode around again with the rear door open (drive slowly to not damage the door bouncing up and down),and no squeak. This helped to identify the problem as the rear hatch.

good luck...let us know what you find out
Hey AZJoe! Nice find!! Mine too was squeaking from the trunk door latch. I was able to produce the squeak from pressing and releasing the flap with my finger. I went ahead and sprayed some WD40 on it and the sound went away since I didn't want to make a trip down to the dealer. Thank you so much for your help and I will definitely bring this up to my dealer when I get my service. Though, I doubt they will do much except to spray some silicone on it. A little off topic, but I also had to get silicone on my steering wheel rod couple months back (the little gap between the rod and plastic was making a rubbing noise when turning). Overall the car is nice, but Lexus can definitely work on their quality control. Thanks again for your insight.
Old 01-26-18, 04:33 PM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Squeak/Chirping Noise

I have 2015 RX350 with 11,600 miles and about 3 months ago started to experience a squeak/rattle noise coming from the back. The noise appeared at slow speeds when going over uneven roads. Brought it in and it turned out to be the rear hatch struts. Both were replaced under warranty and now the noise is gone. They had the car for several days and finally diagnosed the problem by removing the struts and driving the car, no noise. They then reinstalled the old struts and the noise reappeared.
Old 12-30-18, 05:39 AM
garbo
Driver

it has been 1 year and 4,000 miles later and the noise has reappeared. I will bring it in and have the struts re-examined. hope it is an easy fix.
Old 12-30-18, 08:27 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

A little off topic, but I also had to get silicone on my steering wheel rod couple months back (the little gap between the rod and plastic was making a rubbing noise when turning).
Tell me more about this, please.
Old 01-17-19, 05:54 AM
garbo
Driver

I brought my 2015 rx350 back to the dealer for the reoccurrence of the squeak/rattle noise as I mentioned above. The result was that the left side strut of the hatch was rubbing against the plastic. Why this happened was of some concern. Turns out that the hatch was not properly aligned. The hatch was realigned and a piece of felt was attached to the plastic trim at the point where the strut touched the plastic. So far quiet is bliss.
Old 01-17-19, 01:04 PM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar squeak when I go over speed bump, even at low speed. It sounds quite loud and comes from the rear passenger side. For me it appears to be the rear bushing. After spraying it with some silicone lube, it goes away for several months before it comes back again.
Old 07-16-21, 01:13 AM
Andy13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys! Desperately needing to know where this noise is coming from? Identicle sound

Here is what the sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbUEq3Fhoic.
Where is this sound coming from? Please help! And please tell me what steps I need to take to fix it
Old 07-16-21, 06:34 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,155 Likes on 986 Posts

Andy13 - welcome to CL.
The 9 posts preceding yours suggest a few different possible sources for the squeek. I suggest you re-read them and do some more diagnoses on your car.

What I gathered was that the primary possible source was the rear hatch. Try lubricating the rubber bushings with Silicone. Or it may have a strut rubbing against a bushing, or it may be out of alignment. See posts 8 & 9.
Or the rear hatch support struts are worn out. See posts 5 & 6. You can get aftermarket rear hatch struts here as the OEM ones cost way too much. You tube has replacement instructions. It is easy.

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/?c...xoC7z4QAvD_BwE

Another trick I found was to wrap some duct tape around the latch on the body that the hatch latches onto. This provides a tighter grip and reduces noise. It worked great on my Sienna and the RX should also respond.
Others had the squeek from a rear suspension bushing that could also respond to spraying with Silicone (available at any hardware or auto parts store)

Some traced it to the rear seats. Make sure they are latched properly and since they recline a bit, play around with the adjustments to see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-16-21, 07:31 AM
garbo
Driver

See my post above (#8). It has been 2.5 years and the issue has NOT reappeared. Look to see if the hatch is rubbing against the body which was the case with mine. You can try using a piece of felt in different places and if the noise disappears then you may have found where it rubs.