RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Door lock rod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 03:28 PM
mschumpert
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock rod?

I am in process of replacing the door lock actuator on the drivers side front door. I've got it almost reinstalled, but i cant figure out how the rod that hangs from the door handle attaches. i can get it kind of attached and the handle then works to open it, but then the door handle feels a little loose...it tightens up when i just let the rod hang...does anyone have a pic or diagram showing how they work together? tia!
Old 06-06-17, 07:22 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

I have not worked on RX350/450H door lock mechanism, but all RX300/GS400/SC400 all use a nylon lock mechanism. The lock spins on the pivot point and clips on to the rod. Have you secured the clips?

Salim
Old 06-06-17, 08:36 PM
mschumpert
6th Gear

Maybe door lock isn't what I should have called it...the rod actually attaches to the door handle and kind of hangs there next to actuator, but can kind of be wedged in so that it works... but like i said, when I do that, the door handle ends up feeling loose.. I'm not aware of any clips, unless I lost one or more? That's why I'd like to see a pic, or schematic to see if I'm missing something.
Old 06-07-17, 08:18 AM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

have you checked out the thread below? Usually there's a plastic clip at the end of the rod to keep the rod in place, if it's missing then thing may be loose ...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...iy-w-pics.html
Old 06-07-17, 09:41 AM
mschumpert
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TN7CON
have you checked out the thread below? Usually there's a plastic clip at the end of the rod to keep the rod in place, if it's missing then thing may be loose ...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...iy-w-pics.html

Thanks! That clip is still there and working. The rod is clipped in...But what does not seem to be working quite right is at the bottom of the rod. I'm not sure how it works with the actuator. I've currently got it positioned to where it opens the door, but something doesn't seem right. #1, I feel like with a strong shutting of the door, it would move from it's position and become inoperable. #2, the handle on the outside is slightly loose. Only by a couple millimeters, but it doesn't feel right, especially compared with the feel of the other handles...
Old 06-07-17, 12:26 PM
mschumpert
6th Gear

Well, I rolled with it the way that it was, shut the door, and lo and behold the bottom of the rod dislodged from where it was on the actuator and now won't open the door. Now going to take door apart again...all help is appreciated!
Old 06-07-17, 01:14 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by mschumpert
Well, I rolled with it the way that it was, shut the door, and lo and behold the bottom of the rod dislodged from where it was on the actuator and now won't open the door. Now going to take door apart again...all help is appreciated!
If you look at the picture .. the plastic/nylon hold works as the pivot too. If the rod fell out, the pivot was not snapped in properly. Unhook the hold, snap in the pivot. stick the rod through the pivot and the swing back the hold. Make sure you examine the pivot for broken point (half pivot).

Once connected properly, you would not be able to dislodge the rod. The presence of the rod inside tip of the pivot, prevents the pivot to come out of the hole ... again the premise is the tip is not broken off.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-07-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 06:39 PM
mschumpert
6th Gear

Thanks ya'll...

I ended up taking apart the passenger door to figure out what was wrong...I figured out that the rod had to go through a hole in the actuator lever...After sliding the actuator on it and reinstalling, everything is working honky dory...I'm attaching a picture in case anyone else has similar trouble as me and doesn't understand the bottom clip...

Old 06-08-17, 04:05 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by mschumpert
Thanks ya'll...

I ended up taking apart the passenger door to figure out what was wrong...I figured out that the rod had to go through a hole in the actuator lever...After sliding the actuator on it and reinstalling, everything is working honky dory...I'm attaching a picture in case anyone else has similar trouble as me and doesn't understand the bottom clip...

I dont see any clip on the rod and the rod looks very different from the coat_hange_look_alike. Please let me know if the other end has the nylon pivot-lock. I stand corrected. Thank you for sharing.

Salim