RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hard Reset HDD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 12:48 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard Reset HDD

Hi Guys,

Sorry for opening a new thread but i did not find anything where i could ask for questions.
I had many (almost full) music on my HDD. I went to a dealer for some serices (the Hybrid System Check light was apperad many times so they had to investigate the problem). The cleard the oil pump and other parts, so the problem have solved. But unfotunatelly all my musics have disappeared. The dealer says they did not do anything with it. But I can not really believe they did not touch it. Is it possible to clear the hdd while putting OBC on a car? Or how can i reset the HDD with one button?

Thank you for teh answer in advance,

Ferenc
The following users liked this post:
Onegift4u (06-18-19)
Old 06-08-17, 06:32 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by FDToth
Hi Guys,

Sorry for opening a new thread but i did not find anything where i could ask for questions.
I had many (almost full) music on my HDD. I went to a dealer for some serices (the Hybrid System Check light was apperad many times so they had to investigate the problem). The cleard the oil pump and other parts, so the problem have solved. But unfotunatelly all my musics have disappeared. The dealer says they did not do anything with it. But I can not really believe they did not touch it. Is it possible to clear the hdd while putting OBC on a car? Or how can i reset the HDD with one button?

Ferenc
There may be a language barrier here. Here in the states HDD means Hard disc drive. Our cars do not have Hard disc drives. ( I am not sure about the hybrid) Are you referring to a USB drive that plugs into the port in the center console? If so I do not see how using the Techstream software that interfaces with our cars could clear the USB drive. I have Techstream and I could find no part that allowed it to access the USB drive in the console. Certainly, just checking the OBD codes will not clear the USB. If the hybrid has a hard drive I would be very surprised. Someone that has one would be able to tell.
Old 06-09-17, 06:52 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iolmaster
There may be a language barrier here. Here in the states HDD means Hard disc drive. Our cars do not have Hard disc drives. ( I am not sure about the hybrid) Are you referring to a USB drive that plugs into the port in the center console? If so I do not see how using the Techstream software that interfaces with our cars could clear the USB drive. I have Techstream and I could find no part that allowed it to access the USB drive in the console. Certainly, just checking the OBD codes will not clear the USB. If the hybrid has a hard drive I would be very surprised. Someone that has one would be able to tell.
Of course i have an HDD in the car (of something like a HDD). I mean i can copy mmusic from CD-s to the HDD (for example the map database is also on the HDD).
Old 06-09-17, 11:47 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by FDToth
Hi Guys,

Ferenc
HDD can be erased or the file index could be compromised. So even if there is data(music) it is impossible to access the data. Maybe the HDD got an electrical jolt during service. . HDD data can be recovered but it costs $$$ for the job. Just store some music and play back to make sure HDD itself is not damaged. I back up some important stuffs onto SD card using USB adapter. Some high density SD cards can have like 128GB capacity.
Old 06-09-17, 01:34 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the European RX was equipped with an hard disk unit, where soundtracks automatically extracted by CDs inserted in the car player were stored in the MP3 format.
I understand the OP disappointment, unfortunately the loss of stored data is something that may happen for tons of reasons, not necessarily related to the maintenance activitiy carried out by the Lexus dealer. Since 2009 my car had many periodic maintenance checks but soundtracks stored by the first owner are still on the HDU. Not that they are of much use, I am not a musicophile, but I always found the output of the stored soundtrack quite dull, even though my RX has a Mark Levinson audio system. Probably the MP3 soundtracks are too compressed.... IMO the output an iPod with lossless soundracks connected to the USB port located under the armrest is much better.
Old 06-18-19, 03:16 PM
Onegift4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all
Same thing happened to me after a recall for airbag but they told me my car does not have options to record music neither does not come with HDD, I lost everything and don't have HDD option anymore in the menu please help
Thanks in advance