RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

My RX350 caught fire - long with pics & video

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 07:04 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Curious if your insurance company will raise your premium. That would make me pursue further action as it is additional monetary loss.
Old 06-10-17, 09:16 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I am very confused as to why everybody believes that Lexus has no responsibility in this matter. This car was under factory bumper to bumper warranty, powertrain warranty, and probably CPO warranty. Yes, the insurance has paid. That doesn't change the fact that the owner still has no car and prefers to have a car. This service should be what separates Honda/Toyota from Lexus/Acura.

1) no matter how you spin it, the car was Lexus maintained and under Lexus warranty. The vehicle going up in flames is Lexus' problem. The fact that the insurance now owns the vehicle doesn't change the fact that the OP is the one who is still dealing with the issue.
2) Legally, Lexus may have no obligation to replace the car. But why would all you folks stand on Lexus' side? They should take responsibility, lead the investigation, and procure a replacement vehicle. If the vehicle was a lemon, they would have to replace it by law. Why should they not replace a vehicle that caught fire and put lives at risk? This is the very least they could do...if my car caught fire, I wouldn't touch the same brand with a 20ft pole. But the OP wants to give them another shot!
3) Lexus and the insurance company should work together to negotiate who is paying for the replacement vehicle. The check that was cut to the owner should be used by Lexus to find an acceptable replacement for the check amount. From there, Lexus and the insurance should duke it out on their own. The original owner should not have to go thru the trouble of finding a similar vehicle, using only the money the insurance paid, dealing with taxes and dealer negotiation, etc. Car was under warranty, NOT their problem!
Old 06-10-17, 09:42 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Accident can happen on any product. Even Space shuttle rockets blow up.
It is jist unfortunate this things happen in our lives.
Old 06-10-17, 10:44 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Tesla would have given the OP another brand new Tesla, if the OP had a burned up Tesla (historically). I'm not a big fan of Tesla, but Tesla was honorable. Don't know if Tesla will continue to do so now they have a much cheaper $35K Tesla?

My friend's Chevy Trailblazer SUV spontaneous burned up in his garage overnight parked with the ignition off!!! Nothing from Chevy. He only recovered from his insurance company for the vehicle plus his wife's late model Nissan Altima. It was way too much headaches fighting. The insurance company cut him s check and he found reasonable and decided to move on with life. He felt the whole thing was unpleasant, but was happy nobody got hurt and all material things got repaired or replaced. All good.

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
I am very confused as to why everybody believes that Lexus has no responsibility in this matter. This car was under factory bumper to bumper warranty, powertrain warranty, and probably CPO warranty. Yes, the insurance has paid. That doesn't change the fact that the owner still has no car and prefers to have a car. This service should be what separates Honda/Toyota from Lexus/Acura.

1) no matter how you spin it, the car was Lexus maintained and under Lexus warranty. The vehicle going up in flames is Lexus' problem. The fact that the insurance now owns the vehicle doesn't change the fact that the OP is the one who is still dealing with the issue.
2) Legally, Lexus may have no obligation to replace the car. But why would all you folks stand on Lexus' side? They should take responsibility, lead the investigation, and procure a replacement vehicle. If the vehicle was a lemon, they would have to replace it by law. Why should they not replace a vehicle that caught fire and put lives at risk? This is the very least they could do...if my car caught fire, I wouldn't touch the same brand with a 20ft pole. But the OP wants to give them another shot!
3) Lexus and the insurance company should work together to negotiate who is paying for the replacement vehicle. The check that was cut to the owner should be used by Lexus to find an acceptable replacement for the check amount. From there, Lexus and the insurance should duke it out on their own. The original owner should not have to go thru the trouble of finding a similar vehicle, using only the money the insurance paid, dealing with taxes and dealer negotiation, etc. Car was under warranty, NOT their problem!
Old 06-10-17, 11:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

IMHO, you are missing the whole point.
The issue at hand is not who is responsible.
It is strictly transactional.

A vehicle got destroyed and the owner needs to be compensated.
The first agency who has the owner's back is the insurance company. So they pay the owner.

Now it is the insurance company who needs to determine and pursue compensation for their loss (payout).
Possibilties range from sheer accident, insurance fraud, manufacturers defect, service negligence and so on. If it is an accident they can get into assigning responsibility to determine distribution and our buddy will not get the detectable back.

We can safely rule out insurance fraud.

So my input is let the insurance company pursue what ever they want. They may find and prevail in getting compensated for their loss from Lexus or the dealership and then our member will get the deductible back.

On the other hand if the fire had not happened and it was a breakdown then surely Lexus would be the first in line for compensation for needed repairs and associated expense.

Let me cite you couple of scenarios ...
Lets say vehicle one was parked legally and another vehicle is 100% at fault for hitting it. You may rightly think the driver for vehicle 2 should pay for the losses .. but transactionally it will go through the insurance company.
A vehicle is left at a shop for repairs. There is fire and the shop + vehicle are burnt to crisp. Ultimate responsibly is with the shop but transactionally the vehicle owner gets compensated by his/her insurance.
Many years ago Benz service would come and pick up the vehicle from home for service. Service dept sent a driver to pick up the car and the owner authorized the repair and permission to drive [by the way next time you sign the authorization paper .. read the fine print as you authorize the techs to drive]. The car got totaled. The driver came back and handed back the keys and said, please call your insurance company. [true story as it was a close friends family car]

I and all of us sympathize with our fellow member, but this is the process. Fortunately he had full coverage ... other wise he would have to wait till an agency [could have been the court system] assigned responsibility ... by the way recovery from a judgment is yet another process.

Salim
Old 06-10-17, 11:23 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
IMHO, you are missing the whole point.
The issue at hand is not who is responsible.
It is strictly transactional.
Respectfully, YOU missed the point.

The car was warrantied by Lexus. The insurance paid minus deductible. The owner still has no car and frankly in this price range, would likely be unable to find one for the check amount if the insurance did not pay CA sales tax as part of the transaction. Therefore, Lexus should step up not only as the guarantor party but also as a luxury brand that should stand up and make its customers happy, and deal with the deductible and the finding of another car. They have a whole website dedicated to Lexus owner benefits and I find it hard to believe that wine tastings and meet-and-greets are included but your under-warranty vehicle going up in flames isn't part of the deal.

Like I said, legally they are probably not doing anything wrong. But legally they don't have to provide you with a warranty on your vehicle either. Neither one would make me feel good about buying a Lexus. These things are gussied up Highlanders missing a third row seat for a 10k premium. Expect more!

The insurance stepped up but ultimately Lexus is at fault - they provided the warranty! Once you assign fault, you should ask yourself what their future responsibility and punishments should be. In this case, I've already assigned fault and future responsibilities for Lexus...

Last edited by N4TECguy; 06-10-17 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 12:13 AM
salimshah

Received 1,047 Likes on 945 Posts

edit .. snip .. , I've already assigned fault and future responsibilities for Lexus...
You may be right here, but this seems to be the difference in our view points while we agree on immediate compensation to the affected. The compensation check should include sales tax and title fee in the state where the vehicle is insured.

Our posts here take me back to the long discussions between me and my wife after we watched "Sulley" on importance of 'scientific enquiry'. Believe me, I would be angry if Lexus tries to appease the affected, by handing out keys to new vehicles in order to squash a thorough investigation. Let the investigation happen and if there is negligence and if coupled with willful then let the axe fall on Lexus.

Salim
Old 06-11-17, 06:15 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
You may be right here, but this seems to be the difference in our view points while we agree on immediate compensation to the affected. The compensation check should include sales tax and title fee in the state where the vehicle is insured.

Our posts here take me back to the long discussions between me and my wife after we watched "Sulley" on importance of 'scientific enquiry'. Believe me, I would be angry if Lexus tries to appease the affected, by handing out keys to new vehicles in order to squash a thorough investigation. Let the investigation happen and if there is negligence and if coupled with willful then let the axe fall on Lexus.

Salim
If one private citizen tried to stand upto a big corporation, the odds of winning is stacked upto him whether it is for just cause or not. It also depends who will investigate,
government or other entity. If this thing happened to me, I'd just say "could be worse" and move on.
Old 06-12-17, 06:46 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Respectfully, YOU missed the point.

The car was warrantied by Lexus. The insurance paid minus deductible. The owner still has no car and frankly in this price range, would likely be unable to find one for the check amount if the insurance did not pay CA sales tax as part of the transaction. Therefore, Lexus should step up not only as the guarantor party but also as a luxury brand that should stand up and make its customers happy, and deal with the deductible and the finding of another car. They have a whole website dedicated to Lexus owner benefits and I find it hard to believe that wine tastings and meet-and-greets are included but your under-warranty vehicle going up in flames isn't part of the deal.

Like I said, legally they are probably not doing anything wrong. But legally they don't have to provide you with a warranty on your vehicle either. Neither one would make me feel good about buying a Lexus. These things are gussied up Highlanders missing a third row seat for a 10k premium. Expect more!

The insurance stepped up but ultimately Lexus is at fault - they provided the warranty! Once you assign fault, you should ask yourself what their future responsibility and punishments should be. In this case, I've already assigned fault and future responsibilities for Lexus...
You keep mentioning warranty. This is an insurance policy against manufacturer defects. Lexus dealers likely warrant their work for a period of time (not sure what that period is). But the issue is that no one can explain the CAUSE. Therefore we cannot assign blame.

If the OP spent $55K on a new RX that was worth $45K when it went up in flames, he's getting a check for $45k not $55k. I suspect any future claims the OP is entitled to may have evaporated by cashing the insurance check. If the insurance co. believes they can recoup $10k by spending less than $10k pursuing Lexus, they will do that. Subrogration. Again, it is transactional.