RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

450h comfort for drivers with long legs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 10:50 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
Our tires being "expensive" is relative, as it depends on where you're coming from. For me, I'm coming from a vehicle which ran on 10-ply Michelins which cost about $1200 per set (for stock 16" wheels). Anything I need to get for my RXh will be a pleasure to buy in comparison.

Mike, just be patient. Your own degree of patience and needs will dictate when you pull the trigger. I expect you'll end up with more than you need and probably more than you want. I did not find the seat extension to be an advertised item on any of the 450h's I researched, so that could be a difficult point. HOWEVER, I have another tidbit for your researching mind which can open up a little treasure box known as the Factory/Port Installed Option list -- sometimes referred to as the Build Sheet. All you need is the VIN and this phone number -- (800) 255-3987. The person who answers can tell you all of the factory installed option packages, and the brochure you have will expand what specific items are in those option packages. For example, below is what I discovered when I called about the vehicle I purhcased:

Navigation System with HD (hard drive)
Enform 1-year trial (at time of original purchase... not now)
HID headlights
Cargo Net
19" Wheels
Premium Audio
Comfort Package
Rain Sense
Wood/Leather trim
Premium Package
Seat memory
Parking Assist
NO towing package

One more tidbit for you... with the VIN, you can register at the site linked below and both see and print ALL dealer maintenance records, complete with the dealer name where the work was done. I have even used that to call the dealer for more detailed information about the repairs where I had questions (i.e. what does this phrase mean, what does this acronym mean, etc.). https://ssl.toyota.com/owners/home
Yeah, I know tires prices are relevant to the vehicle. I paid over $1200 for my Toyo M55's and had them studded for my Duramax... best tires I have ever owned!.. even though I can only use them for 5 months of the year. (Check out the reviews on the M55's... they get great reviews. WITH STUDS they are quieter than my summer tires!!!... but the Duramax has excellent sound insulation. They are a great year round tire without studs... for trucks of course... not a luxury car tire. I usually get Michelin tires but these Toyo's were well worth breaking that tradition!).

THANK YOU for the phone number! I will call with a couple vin's at lunch! That is the best resource I have heard of! I tried to register as a Lexus owner on the Lexus site because I read about registering vins (on this forum) and being able to see the build sheet. I will try again. I will also try the Toyota site you linked me to and see if I can register a Lexus.
Old 06-16-17, 11:58 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

I was able to register at the Lexus site and put in the VIN of the 450h that I am thinking of purchasing. Can any one direct me to where I can find the build sheet?
Old 06-16-17, 12:57 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeInOr
...I don't understand the reasoning of giving a dealership $3K - $4k to act as an intermediary between me and the previous owner? That is just nuts! I do not have a trade in and I would rather use my credit union to get a loan than a dealer...
I have had good experiences with dealers as well as private parties. Recently car shopped with my daughter, and she bought a 2016 Hyundai Tucson at a dealer. I have a friend who is GM at another of that dealer group's stores, so he was able to find out how much they paid for the vehicle. Since it was on the lot for a few months, the price had been lowered several times, and she ended up getting it for less than their cost.

Dealers will also do some things that private sellers won't, that are often helpful. A private seller will not replace the brakes or change the oil, or air and cabin filters, or perform other required scheduled maintenance to get it ready for sale. It will cost less, but in some cases, I will have to do those things myself, and if I get a good deal at a dealer's lot, it's a wash. Just sayin' since these things are such good deals, it might not be too bad to talk to a dealer. they'd often rather take a loss than have to carry it on their books for another month.
Old 06-16-17, 01:01 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

The build sheet is not there, Mike. The ONLY place I was ever able to even come close to a true build sheet is a combination of a good VIN decoder and the information I received from the telephone number I listed above.
Old 06-16-17, 01:10 PM
F250
Lead Lap

I'm seeing the used car dealers, at least in our region, are starting to negotiate again even though they advertise online as "lowest and non-negotiable internet pricing". 1-3 years ago, they would not do it, but there are a growing number of them advertising on CL and eBay, and are therefore having to negotiate due to increased "low internet pricing" competition. Case in point... we looked at a 2007 4Runner several weeks back at a dealer who not only advertised non=negotiable pricing, they made sure to mention it immediately upon meeting me when I arrived. Bottom line to my point is that they had listed the vehicle at $7995 and was going to add $599 dealer doc fees on top of that for an out-the-door price of $8499. The vehicle needed a few things done to it, and before I walked out the door to see the next one on my list, I had them down to a flat $7000 out the door. It was clean, and worth the money, but we ended up with a slightly better conditioned '06 with fewer miles which needed nothing done to it for the same price.

Again, the point is that even though they say non-negotiable internet pricing, they will still negotiate. With the research tools you have at your disposal, Mike, it could be a viable option for you as well. I will also admit that I am in 100% agreement with your perspective on avoiding dealers, but sometimes the right deal is easier to find there. Oh, and the '06 4Runner we purchased ended up being a private sale as well, so I was much happier with that purchase over the options at the several dealers we visited that day.
Old 06-16-17, 04:17 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

Pricing is where as a buyer, you need to stand on your grounds and keep passing and looking. I would not categorically exclude dealerships. Visit them and make a reasonable offer.

My suggestion about dealership makes sense when a buyer has specific options. Then a large network helps buyer find what they are looking for. Private sellers would have only one to offer and other used car sale lots )and even brand dealerships) can offer you what they have on the lot.

With Lexus and 450 in particular you usually get decent packages.

Salim
Old 06-16-17, 04:44 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

WOW, I am very impressed with the Lexus service number you gave me. The representative confirmed that the 450h in Seattle has a 10 way adjustable driver seat. This is the number one upgrade I would like to have!

Standard 9 speaker stereo... not a big deal to me. It doesn't have the radar controlled adaptive cruise control.. that would have been cool but really not a big deal to me. It does have cooled seats and the other luxury items that come with the luxury package. I think I am going to end up buying this 450h.

What is parking assist on the 450h? Is that extra lines on the backup screen when you are backing up? Can anyone explain to me what the "Wide View Side monitoring system" is?

I have bought used cars from dealers in the past and would not rule out buying from a dealer in the future, I just prefer buying from private parties when I can. Dealers are an option... they just aren't the only option! :-)

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-16-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-16-17, 05:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Park assist is to let you know when you're getting close to object both forward and back. It had s bunch of sensors on the bumpers. Guidelines were only added to the next gen RX. Wide view side monitoring helps you see better on the side of the vehicle, like curbs. The cameras are located under the side view mirrors. Radar cruise control is useless in moderate traffic, you're not missing much. Cooled seats means you also have heated seats. That's part of the comfort package which also includes other features like HID headlights, rain sensing wipers, auto high beams and 12 speaker system per the brochure. The 9 speaker system could be an oversight or a build based on geography. Lexus does that, equipping vehicles based on popular options in a particular area. And it doesn't matter whether you go through a dealer or private party. Bottom line, if you like it, go for it.

FYI, if the 450h has a sunglass holder forward of the front dome light, then it doesn't have Lexus Enform. It was introduced August 2009. So RXs with build date after that will have it. And 2010 was the only year Lexus put badges on both the left and right side of the tailgate - 'Lexus' on the left, model ('450h') to the right. For some reason, they dropped Lexus beginning with 2011 MY. Throws the balance completely off, LOL!

Last edited by kitlz; 06-16-17 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-16-17, 06:45 PM
F250
Lead Lap

I'm glad that the link was helpful, Mike. Be sure to let us know how the test drive goes, and if you get it, you have to remember the biggest reality here in CL... if you don't have pictures, it didn't happen!!
Old 06-17-17, 08:50 AM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

On my purchase, the build sheet showed 9 speaker stereo (standard) and then down the list it showed a package (some convenience pkg maybe) and in that package it stated 12 speaker premium sound.

Salim
Old 06-18-17, 12:58 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

I bought it. Just got home from a 14 hour round trip plus about an hour and a half that I spent there. I gave him a deposit and will pick it up next week after I finish the paperwork at the credit union. I will post details and pictures when I get it home. $18,600 is the agreed upon price with 82K miles. I think I will fly up there to pick it up,... another 14 hours driving is too much! It does not have the 10 way seat... I still love it.

I appreciate everyone's help and feed back!
Old 06-19-17, 10:16 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Great, Mike... good deal, too. We won't really believe it happened, though, until you show us some pictures!!