RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus dealer service dept..... Simply the best

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 10:07 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some dealers & private shops will indeed take advantage of unsuspecting clients.
Dropped my son's VW at the dealer while bringing it back from the airport. "Service due" light was on , he would be away for a couple weeks so the timing worked. Next day they called stating the cabin air filter was very dirty & should be changed for $ 68.95 + HST(15%).
Let them know I was in fact born on a Friday but it wasn't last Friday. Picked up the car that evening. Bought a filter at Carquest on the way home for $9.00 + HST. Took all of 3 minutes to change it.
Back in '93 we needed a van & Honda didn't have one. Bought a new Nissan Quest in early Spring. These were built together with Ford who sold them as a Mercury Villager. That Fall we drop it off for snow tires & service. Dealer calls Jane stating they need $150.00 for a new steel wheel as one is bent, Funny, I had the car on the highway the day prior & noticed nothing. Plastic hubcap had no road rash either. Jane was sure she didn't hit anything recently such as a pothole or a curb. I was more bent about the price of the rim than anything else, 150 for a painted steel wheel.
Went to the dealer's shop that afternoon & asked to see the car & damaged wheel. Car was in the service bay. "Open the hood please". I ask the dealer to look at the underside of the hood & tell me what he sees! He's stumped & asks exactly what he's looking for. "Have a close look at the engine spec. decal, 3.0l, XX oil, timing belt routing etc.". He looks again & is still stumped. I explained if he were to look real close he could actually see the Ford decal under the Nissan decal. "Pull a stunt like that again & it'll be going to Ford for service after I have a chat with your boss." I've never ever seen a reversal on charges happen that fast. Wheel was actually fine & yes we took it elsewhere for service after that.
Old 07-24-17, 04:04 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I am confused. I thought a fluid exchanges by a machine was a no no.
Old 07-24-17, 05:24 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 144 Posts

All I know is that Lexus publishes an estimated cost of each and every service interval, and by going to my excellent local Toyota dealer, I get ALL the recommended work done for an average of 40-60% less. For example, on a service which
Lexus says will cost $184, I paid $84. This has consistently been the case. Four plus years into my Lexus ownership, I'm thrilled at the reliability (fingers crossed) of the vehicle, and thrilled at the great service work
done by the Toyota guys. The initial price of the car was high, but thus far cost of ownership has been very, very reasonable.
Old 07-24-17, 07:39 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by hovbuild
Now I am confused. I thought a fluid exchanges by a machine was a no no.
That was with the old machines and transmissions, since most people waited well over 100,000 miles before the change of fluid, the machine a new fluid could dislodge deposits from seals that would make the tranny leak and clog passages. These new machines are computer controlled and measure the amount of fluid in & out, some have their own pump and some use your tranny's pump. What's most important is that the operator know how to do it properly.
Old 07-24-17, 07:45 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by budwom
All I know is that Lexus publishes an estimated cost of each and every service interval, and by going to my excellent local Toyota dealer, I get ALL the recommended work done for an average of 40-60% less. For example, on a service which
Lexus says will cost $184, I paid $84. This has consistently been the case. Four plus years into my Lexus ownership, I'm thrilled at the reliability (fingers crossed) of the vehicle, and thrilled at the great service work
done by the Toyota guys. The initial price of the car was high, but thus far cost of ownership has been very, very reasonable.
Yes that's true for 90% of service, but there are still some things that only a Lexus dealer can do, still well worth a try if the Toyota dealer is willing as some are not.
In my experience the price gap is not as great as you say, you've been very lucky to find such a dealer!
I agree completely that the price was high, but the cost of ownership is rather low for a car of this calibre.
Old 07-27-17, 05:10 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cocal
Yes that's true for 90% of service, but there are still some things that only a Lexus dealer can do, still well worth a try if the Toyota dealer is willing as some are not.
In my experience the price gap is not as great as you say, you've been very lucky to find such a dealer!
I agree completely that the price was high, but the cost of ownership is rather low for a car of this calibre.
What kinds of things have you found (other than warranty work) that only a Lexus dealer can do? I thought the cars were pretty much the same.
For sure, the dealer I go to is exceptionally honest and economical; there's another Toyota dealer nearby which I avoid like the plague....they insist on all services being Service A, B or C which means a whole lot more money...no a la carte from them...
Old 07-27-17, 06:55 AM
Cocal
Racer

What kinds of things have you found (other than warranty work) that only a Lexus dealer can do? I thought the cars were pretty much the same.
For sure, the dealer I go to is exceptionally honest and economical; there's another Toyota dealer nearby which I avoid like the plague....they insist on all services being Service A, B or C which means a whole lot more money...no a la carte from them...
The things only a Lexus dealer can do are those that may require a special tool, but let's not forget that only a dealer gets bulletins on problems and solutions plus their experience on those particular vehicles. But if you have a lousy dealer then a good indy or another dealer must be considered. I've been lucky so far the dealers I've dealt with have been honest except for the MB ones that want you to service every nut & bolt once a week and twice on sunday, for my MB I found a good indy to service it, who would also tell me if the repair/adjustment could be done by him or only the dealer.
Old 07-27-17, 08:20 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It was the advisor that missed a step and tried to pawn it on you. It happens, dealers vary and long term relationship with service people will result in them fighting for you and swinging your way or not. < this is my experience.
Old 07-30-17, 01:00 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I'm thinking Lexus corporate must be reading this board. For some reason I never got the survey request after the Bernie Madoff repair salesman experience at the Beverly Hills Jim Falk Lexus.

I called Lexus corporate this time and complained. They said that it was already filled out?!?!?! I said what!?!?!?

it was weird and sinister at the same time. I asked to send me a new survey. I wrote them about the attempted "double dipping" experience at the dealer. Let's see if they call back.....
i finally got the survey and explained the situation. I also wrote in the survey to call me. Let's see if they are interested in listening to a disappointed customer with two RX's in the house.
Old 07-30-17, 08:41 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MellonC00
i finally got the survey and explained the situation. I also wrote in the survey to call me. Let's see if they are interested in listening to a disappointed customer with two RX's in the house.
I never got a response to a note I sent corporate. My Lexus is my favorite car I've ever owned, but the purchasing experience was truly nightmarish, a blatant attempt to (what is the polite word?) cheat me (only word I can think of). Inexcusable.
Old 07-30-17, 05:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

I never got a response to a note I sent corporate. My Lexus is my favorite car I've ever owned, but the purchasing experience was truly nightmarish, a blatant attempt to (what is the polite word?) cheat me (only word I can think of). Inexcusable.
From your post 18, 21, 25 it seems you have an issue with the price of service & repair. Are you asking that the price needs to be regulated by Lexus Corp? This is free market, if the charge too high the consumers have the right to go look at alternative and vote by their check-books.

When it comes to warranty service, then Lexus corporation is a party.

Salim
Old 07-30-17, 08:28 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
From your post 18, 21, 25 it seems you have an issue with the price of service & repair. Are you asking that the price needs to be regulated by Lexus Corp? This is free market, if the charge too high the consumers have the right to go look at alternative and vote by their check-books.

Salim
i have an issue with attempted "double dipping" by the dealer on a legitimate warranty repair. It's not an issue with price at all.

Last edited by MellonC00; 07-31-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 04:57 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
I have NO idea where you got that thought. Yes, I do not like Lexus's service prices, so I go to a Toyota dealer and have the exact same work performed for 40% less. I've got four years of service invoices to prove this point. Lexus can charge what they want, but I won't pay it.
As a separate issue, I brought up the fact that my purchasing experience was dreadful...but I love the car.
Old 07-31-17, 07:09 AM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

I have NO idea where you got that thought. Yes, I do not like Lexus's service prices, so I go to a Toyota dealer and have the exact same work performed for 40% less. I've got four years of service invoices to prove this point. Lexus can charge what they want, but I won't pay it.
As a separate issue, I brought up the fact that my purchasing experience was dreadful...but I love the car.
my bad. By the thread title, I inadvertently connected the issue to service. Is there another thread that you discussed the purchase experience?

Salim