RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tilt/Telescopic shorting out.. need diagnostic help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 05:24 AM
strikeagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilt/Telescopic shorting out.. need diagnostic help.

Hello everyone: Have a problem with a 2010 RX350. Has anyone had issues with the tilt/telescopic steering?

I have one that stopped working... Checked the 30a fuse and it was blown - replaced it and still nothing would work. I pulled apart the steering column covers and removed the knee airbag.. The Tilt/telescopic module is under there. I noticed a burning smell and removed the module and opened it.. It was burned on the circuit board on the #2 pin (which is the yellow wire, which is the power feed from the battery to the 30a fuse that blew, to the module). I figured the module had died internally and caused this issue.

Went to the junkyard and found a working module. Brought it home and plugged it in... instant smoke. After looking at a wiring diagram.. the only thing this fuse powers is the yellow wire to the #2 pin on the module... I checked for a short between the fuse block and the module connector and nothing.. power on one side, ground on the other. 0.7 ohms between the fuse block and the wire with obvious good continuity.

Has anyone ran into this before? Ive heard the motors are not replaceable and require a whole steering column. Would this be my best bet? It looks to come with the module/wiring/motors all built in.

Really stuck on this one and appreciate any input. I can supply wiring diagrams if needed along with more info on what ive checked.
Old 06-22-17, 07:06 AM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Was any work done on the RX .. like panel removed etc the could have caused a pinched wire?

Since you asked for "any input" . My tinkering with these has been in 95 SC .. notorious for worn nylon gear.

Most likely the problem is in the telescope part as tilt should be active only when energized] but you never know for sure.

Battery -> controller board -> motor [ the board gets input from the ecu --> pull away and pull up on shutdown], memory buttons and position rheostat].

My first guess would be a stuck or blown motor that is drawing large current. So large that the controller is burning up and the max load on the fused branch is popping. Take the plug from the motor off and put in 5 amp fuse to test that the controller is not the culprit ,,, I am guessing that the controller can survive on 5 amps].

The actual motor could be shorted out or the steering could be at its limit and the limit switch is not killing juice to the motor. You will have to hunt it down.
The actual motor is 12v polarized ... the controller flips the +/- so you can use a fused supply and go directly to 12v ,, just make sure you have not reached either limit. There is worm gear that gives the mechanical advantage to the motor and mechanical disadvantage to any one who tries to push the steering wheel.

You can check the ohms of the motor. It should be low but not "0". Actual test value should be in the service manual.

Advice: If you think the steering is in a acceptable position, you should think about leaving it there. It is one of the features that an owner can live without, so think twice before you make an attempt to fix. If so disconnect the controller.

Salim