RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Fsport or Appearance pkg?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 02:22 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

For what it's worth, the 8-speed transmission was also only available on F-Sport models made in Canada. F-Sport models made in Japan continued to use the 6-speed transmission or the hybrid CVT; none of these were sold in North America however. All of our F-Sports were made in Canada and have the 8-speed transmission.

The appearance package was optional in the USA on 13-15 models and included the F-Sport front bumper (but not the grilles) and the same 19" wheels (but without the dark grey finish). For Canada, the appearance package wasn't available for 13-14 and was made standard for 15.

There are a few pieces that an F-Sport would have that no other models had. The grilles, dark grey wheels, F-Sport badging on the fenders and steering wheel, perforated leather steering wheel, black headliner, aluminum pedals, and suspension bracing.

There are a few other items that are standard on the F-Sport but were also available on other/previous packages like the bumper, sport steering, sport suspension, VDIM, etc.

Jeff
Old 02-04-19, 02:40 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

Came across this thread a while back and it piqued my interest. I bought this RX350 in November from the same seller in Toronto (Mississauga). It was, by far, the worst car buying experience of my life. For 2013 in Canada, they only had the one F-Sport model. 2014 split it into F-Sport Series 1 and Series 2, then it was back to a single F-Sport model for 2015 before once again splitting up for the 4th gen in 2016. This is a real F-Sport model, and despite having high mileage (and being full of garbage) it was actually in surprisingly good condition. The seller was a real piece of work, had the vehicle listed as a one-owner, no-accident vehicle. The Carfax showed a police-reported minor accident in 2014 with no insurance claim. I believe this to be the accident that required replacing the grille and they put in the incorrect non-F-Sport grille at this time.

I flew out from Edmonton to Toronto with a list of some RX's I was interested in, but had a deposit on this one for a couple of weeks. I looked at it first and immediately noticed the front bumper was damaged and missing some retainers. I asked him about them and the grille as the ad had said no accidents; was told: he didn't know, it was the previous owner?!? So I guess not a one-owner vehicle either. After digging through service records and other sources, I managed to piece together that the original owner had the vehicle registered for commercial purposes and drove it until 204,000km; the accident in 2014 was the one that took out the grille. It was traded in to a Lexus dealer at the end of 2016, they replaced a few items, replaced the windshield and what have you. The next owner purchased in March 2017 with the wrong grille, but no other damage and then proceeded to almost immediately list it for sale (as this thread is from June 2017). Sometime between then an October 2017 there was damage done to the front and rear bumpers which they paid to repair at the Lexus dealer in October 2017. Then, sometime between October 2017 and October 2018 they damaged the front bumper again.

The car had been listed for sale for 6 weeks and the seller never responded to my inquiries during that time. It was then posted for $1000 more than it had been and I got a message back about it. If it hadn't been the exact model, colour and price that it was when I saw it that first moment, I would have immediately walked.

The story of how I got it gets even crazier, but suffice it to say, I was happy that they only put about 20,000km on it before I bought it, not enough to seriously screw it up, because aside from the grille, the previous owner took amazing condition of this RX. Inside and out it's in great shape (aside from the front bumper madness). I have all the parts to fix up the front end, and have swapped out the front struts and rear shocks to non-F-Sport versions. It drives great and I'm extremely happy with it.

More to come, was glad to find this thread, it only added to my amusement.

Jeff