RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Using preset seat position buttons while in drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 01:42 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Exactly!!! If the other posters are not elevating their situation awarness, then they are living in fantasy island or under a rock somewhere. Bad things can happen ANYWHERE

SIMPLY​SIMPLY PUT:. If you give the bad guys a chance, bad things will happen to you.

I travel a lot. I usually fly into an airport and my personal car is there waiting for me or if I'm flying into another location on an emergency basis or short notice, then I'll have to pick up a rental car. So it does not matter which brand of vehicle I'm in. I've experienced situations where after I come to a complete stop at the red light and I see some people approach my vehicle as if they are going to cross the street and suddenly I hear a thump when that person attempts to open one of my doors. BTW, I have learned over the years that this usually happens when I'm stopped behind another car AND there is another car behind me where I'm essentially sandwiched in (so I make sure I leave plenty of space in front of my car so I have some room to get out if needed). Granted this occurs in bigger metropolitan areas and usually they are just looking for an easy target. This has happened to me even just outside of the parking lots after I pick up a rental car and already on the side streets just outside of a major airport. Sometimes the bad guy(s) are not after you purse/wallet or whatever.........they just want a car ride. You never know. One detective recently told me about a case and he said, "Her robber simply wanted a vehicle. If she had been driving a dump truck he'd have stolen that!!"

So the other posters still think bad things only happen in ghettos? And not in places like Beverly Hills CA? Think again:. https://www.google.com/amp/losangele...hills-man/amp/

Or what about the case of Versace founder killed in front of his upscale home on south Florida? Granted he was a famous dude and he maybe targeted.
https://www.google.com/amp/losangele...hills-man/amp/

Or what about the following case where the bad guy gained entrance to the passenger seat of a car trying to drive out of a restaurant parking lot? Evidently from reading the sequence of events that had happened the victim/driver FAILED to lock his doors after he got into his car. So you say, he forget to lock all his doors after he got into his car (which he should have done anyway)? But he had already put his car in gear and started driving!!! In most modern cars (which I believe his car was), you can program the car to lock all doors as soon as you put it in DRIVE!! I guess his did not which proved to be a fatal mistake bc the bad guy GAINED entry to the passenger seat and rest is history after that. IF let's suppose all his doors WERE locked as soon as he put the car in gear AND THEN SOMEONE TRIED TO GAIN ENTRY on the passenger door. On the initial TRY BY PULLING ON THE DOOR HANDLE ON THE OUTSIDE would have been a FAILED ATTEMPT. Then the victim/driver would have had the CRUCIAL additional few seconds to either accelerate the car out of danger OR if the car is blocked by the bad guys to just open his driver's side door and make a run for it. There are many other cars in the parking lot where he can duck and take cover. To have the BAD guy gaining entry into the car and the victim/driver is still in the car TOGETHER with the guy next to him is THE WORST SITUATION WITH GRAVE CONSEQUENCES. The key is to put as much distance between you and the bad guys as possible and this is critical to survival in situations like this.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/beverly-hills-doctor-venic

Lastly don't take my word for it. There are actually scientific research on THIS:

https://academic.oup.com/bjc/article...dFrom=fulltext

To read the whole article, you will have to register for an account to purchase the full research paper. But the Abstract is as follows (I hope I had made my point. It's just I've seen a lot in my line of work and learned to never give the BAD guys extra opportunity to target me. That is WHY SITUATION AWARNESS IS SO IMPORTANT):

"AbstractDrawing from interviews with active robbers (drug robbers and carjackers), this paper explores the role of serendipity in the robbery target selection process. Serendipity is defined as the art of finding something valuable while engrossed in something different (Roberts 1989). The discovery is unanticipated, unexpected and anomalous (Merton and Barber 2006) and may result from decidedly negative experiences. The extent to which robbery targets emerge through ‘pure’ serendipity or a more ‘manufactured’ variety sheds light on the conceptual interface between perception, need, opportunity and rational choice."

Originally Posted by F250
If you think you have to live in a bad area for this to be an issue of concern, you have your head buried in the sand, my friend. Wake up and smell the gun smoke! These kinds of things are happening in even the nicest of areas and neighborhoods these days, and everyone should always be on top of situational awareness regardless of where you are.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some extremist who is interested in the stupid fear-mongering which goes on among conspiracy-minded apocalyptic preppers... I'm just saying "it" can happen anywhere, and we all need to be shrewd and mindful and wise to prevent ourselves from letting "easy conveniences" rule and drive us into sometimes stupid choices.

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-22-17 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-22-17, 02:45 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

See my post above.

You may do as you wish as USA is a free country.

Where anyone lives is really NO LONGER RELEVANT as far as this is concerned.

Your car doors are not locked while you are driving? Or AFTER you have arrived and you put the car into "PARK"? Think again. See my post above.

YOU said:. "there's no concern if we forget to lock our car - nobody would take anything, even if it is out in the open."

Think again!! I refer you to the following SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PAPER:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VVAAM58a5FDvdw

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Putting the car in park means the end of the journey. Going to the areas in question is generally not a good idea in the first place and door locks would be of last concern.
Where the hell do you live for this to be an issue? My personal vehicle is never locked when I'm driving, unless there are kids inside.
And there's no concern if we forget to lock our car - nobody would take anything, even if it is out in the open.
Old 08-22-17, 02:58 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Where anyone lives is NO LONGER RELEVANT as far as this is concerned. Bad things can happen ANYWHERE. Please see my post above.

Believe me, I live in "safe neighborhoods". One of the "safe neighborhoods" I live in when I'm at my work area which is some distance away as I fly in where I have a nice house in a gated community, one of my neighbors' car got broken into while parked INSIDE the GATES! No windows were smashed because the robber DID NOT HAVE TO??? WHY,? BECAUSE HIS CAR WAS NOT LOCKED!!! His two g@ns were stolen!!! So he had to call the law and report the incident and fill out paperwork and spend time doing it. I'm next door to him and my cars were OK because I locked mine!! Where I work MOST, if not all got g@ns in their vehicles because vehicles are legally considered an extension of one's home and probably the whole state has the most highest percentage of people carrying.

I refer you to the following SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PAPER:.

Originally Posted by Airbalance
wow, that is pretty sad , that you live in area that you even think about getting attack
Old 08-22-17, 03:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Let's get back on topic, folks.
Old 08-22-17, 05:58 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Where anyone lives is NO LONGER RELEVANT as far as this is concerned. Bad things can happen ANYWHERE. Please see my post above.

Believe me, I live in "safe neighborhoods". One of the "safe neighborhoods" I live in when I'm at my work area which is some distance away as I fly in where I have a nice house in a gated community, one of my neighbors' car got broken into while parked INSIDE the GATES! No windows were smashed because the robber DID NOT HAVE TO??? WHY,? BECAUSE HIS CAR WAS NOT LOCKED!!! His two g@ns were stolen!!! So he had to call the law and report the incident and fill out paperwork and spend time doing it. I'm next door to him and my cars were OK because I locked mine!! Where I work MOST, if not all got g@ns in their vehicles because vehicles are legally considered an extension of one's home and probably the whole state has the most highest percentage of people carrying.

I refer you to the following SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PAPER:.
i will have remember this if I ever travel to the USA again