RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to lighten steering effort

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 01:18 AM
Frenchman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy steering 2015 RX 450h Executive

Steering effort is incredibly hard for a luxury SUV. Not as heavy as if power steering was out of order, but still too heavy to turn the wheel with one hand. Is this normal? Is the effort adjustable in any way?
Old 05-14-18, 04:05 AM
Dewillia
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not in Sport mode is it has that stiffens up the steering
The following users liked this post:
Frenchman (05-17-18)
Old 05-14-18, 08:34 AM
Frenchman
Driver School Candidate

No, it's in normal mode. It feels like there is a leak in power steering fluid, although I know this is an electrical system. But the feeling is that of a leaking power steering pump
Old 05-16-18, 10:58 AM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the RX450h steering is heavier than the one may expect on a luxury SUV, but not at the point to suspect a failure. I suggesto to pay a visit to a good tyre shop and have tyres pressure and alignment checked...
The following users liked this post:
Frenchman (05-17-18)
Old 05-17-18, 08:59 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 589 Likes on 413 Posts

If it helps, the steering in mine is not light either. When I drive another car, the steering feels like the tires aren't even on the ground and just spinning in the air. Takes me a few seconds to adjust and not drive in wild circles.

But I haven't found it too hard to turn with one hand, I can spin the wheel fairly rapidly side to side just with a flat hand if the vehicle is moving at least a little bit, and my hand isn't sweaty or otherwise excessively lubricated

In winter, I can't use fabric gloves, too slippery for this.
Old 05-17-18, 09:06 AM
Frenchman
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your replies.Droid13 I have had the same experience. It is after driving another vehicle for a week, athat had a light steering effort ( like that of a 1978 Ford LTD ) that I noticed how hard the steering on the RX was...Unless I am driving in the south of France or in Corsica, my hands are not sweaty either....
Old 05-17-18, 01:39 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the same issue. So far, I have not found a fix. Some people even ridiculed me asking why I bought the car in the place and whatnot. ........but the problem exists as evidenced by other posters.......
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-effort-2.html
Old 05-18-18, 07:36 AM
Frenchman
Driver School Candidate

Default Peterbilt steering

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I have the same issue. So far, I have not found a fix. Some people even ridiculed me asking why I bought the car in the place and whatnot. ........but the problem exists as evidenced by other posters.......
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-effort-2.html
Really a Lexus RX 450h is supposed to be soft and smooth.
At first, only the harsh suspension ( although I have the air suspension) was an unpleasant surprise...Then I notices that Peterbilt steering...We always tend to doubt our experiences when no one else reports them, so thank you very much for your input
Old 05-18-18, 07:40 AM
Frenchman
Driver School Candidate

Default Lxus motto: "save time, work out while you drive"

Originally Posted by raytseng
There are so many wrong assumptions in the OP post.

Lexus and specifically all the RX are not known for having stiff steering. That is completely wrong assumption that that was part of the design. They all have much easier and light steering than a BMW X series let alone 3series. Every single car review will say driving just about all lexus except for the halo cars is like driving with mittens on, that is the lexus feel; but the steering is not heavy. The main purchasers and target of the RX are soccer moms to make driving easy, not euro enthusiasts.

So with that new background;
there is something different about your particular car if the steering is heavy. Take it to the dealer and ask if what you are experiencing is normal. However, if it is not normal and you are out of warranty, it may be costly than you can stomach to fix.

If you don't believe it, take or ask for the opportunity to test drive a new RX or a loaner RX and I bet it will not have heavier steering than a BMW.
Also, how long have you had the car? shouldn't you have noticed this before buying, what changed?
I have a feeling your opinion is based on test drives you may have read. I have had many cars, from the Fiat Uno 45 to Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cadillac STS and none had such an unpleasnat steering feel. Both numb ( that was expected) AND Peterbilt heavy. Such a shame. I have driven many German cars too, lastly the new Opel Grandland, and its steering effort was much much less. Lincoln Town Car light

Last edited by Frenchman; 05-18-18 at 07:43 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 05-18-18, 12:25 PM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You will not get any kind of info you are looking for here, all you will get in anecdotal crap from the clueless. All they know is what the dealer or manual tells them, anything outside of that is strictly outside of their realm of understanding.

Welcome to the Lexus brand!

While it being electric suggests what you are thinking is possible is correct, problem is to do that, it is controlled by software, other manufactures have aftermarket ecu tuning from vendors that have the tools to make these type of changes. Unfortunately there is not much of a market for this type of service for the Lexus brand outside of the RC models, also I believe the ECU isn't cracked and as a result there are no tools developed.
Old 10-08-18, 07:13 AM
Rustymike1
Driver School Candidate

Default Stiff power steering

2015 RX350 steering is stiff. Feels very heavy on turns, no noise or sounds, just stiff
Old 10-08-18, 08:13 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I think you are looking for this thread...........
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ng-effort.html
Old 01-14-19, 11:51 AM
Motorgee
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 400h. 2010 model. The steering is stiff. Hard to turn. No malfunction light is on,

Scanning the car, gives no fault code. I suspect a steering mechanical fault. What can I check, and process of checking it without damage to hybrid and other electronic systems on the car ? Thank you.
Old 01-14-19, 04:54 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 2010 and it's the RX450h, so perhaps you have a 2009.

Power steering in a 2010 is electric, I assume also on yours. If no dash light, without knowing what I'm talking about I'd guess power steering fluid. Quick call to the Lexus dealer would clarify.
Old 01-15-19, 12:58 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

what did you scan with, techstream? Not all scanners may see all the modules on the car.

Quick Reply: How to lighten steering effort