RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Torn between a '09 RX350 and a '10 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 06:11 PM
kam1996
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn between a '09 RX350 and a '10 RX350

Hello All

I am looking for a car for my wife and I THOUGHT I had narrowed it down to a nice 100K mile '09 RX350, car had every option and complete service history.

Long story short, I ran into an AD for a 2010 model, similar miles and service history but $3000 more. Obviously it makes sense that a newer redesigned model would be more expensive.

Other than scouring the limits of internet and looking at random posts by people, I figured I should ask those who may have been in my shoes and those who are knowledgeable about these cars..

So my question is, what are some of the main differences between an '09 and a '10? (both AWD, both optioned out )

Apart from interior and exterior design, are there any mechanical or practical reasons to prefer one over the other?

I really appreciate your input in advance. Hoping I can make this decision by the end of the week.

Thank you
Old 11-14-17, 08:46 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Mechanically they have the same engine & trans. However, 2010 RX350 has several improvements over previous RX generation such as:
- nicer exterior/interior styling
- smart access remote keyfob (car senses your keyfob and auto unlocks when you grasp the door handle, touch on top left of handle to lock)
- push button engine start/stop .. no more ignition key ...
- hidden rear wiper (below the top rear spoiler) .. cleaner look
- auto power rear lift gate
- full sized doors, when closed covering the lower part of the car to help keep your clothes clean when entering/exiting ...
- shark fin antenna vs. stick antenna
- etc.
Old 11-15-17, 06:45 AM
DigDoug
Driver School Candidate

I'm new to the club, and new to the RX350 but it's the interior/exterior styling that made me look for the '10 and up. After extensive research on the net the added "perks" as mentioned above sealed the deal. I immediately started only searching for '10 and up and ended up with a nice 2011 that looks showroom new. If $$ is an issue I think the '09 is equal reliability wise. So far I'm loving mine, good luck with your search!
Old 11-15-17, 08:48 AM
mikecd1
Driver School Candidate

Owned an RX300 and recently looked at purchasing an 08,09 and 10 RX350. 2010 has the rear wishbone suspension and had a smoother ride to me. The transmission seemed way smoother shifting as well. The 08-09's I drove did not shift as smoothly as the 2010. The inside (and outside) of the 10 is larger as well which I felt made it more comfortable as well. The 09's definitely seemed to be more "truck-like" in the ride and seats were closer together. The vehicles I drove all had 18 inch wheels btw. I didn't need navigation and found a low mileage (62k) 2010 and love it! The standard upgraded features mentioned above are great. Installed new standard headlight bulbs on sale and new wipers and am good to go. Good luck with the search!
Old 11-15-17, 11:30 AM
kam1996
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikecd1
Owned an RX300 and recently looked at purchasing an 08,09 and 10 RX350. 2010 has the rear wishbone suspension and had a smoother ride to me. The transmission seemed way smoother shifting as well. The 08-09's I drove did not shift as smoothly as the 2010. The inside (and outside) of the 10 is larger as well which I felt made it more comfortable as well. The 09's definitely seemed to be more "truck-like" in the ride and seats were closer together. The vehicles I drove all had 18 inch wheels btw. I didn't need navigation and found a low mileage (62k) 2010 and love it! The standard upgraded features mentioned above are great. Installed new standard headlight bulbs on sale and new wipers and am good to go. Good luck with the search!
just got back from my first proper test drive of a 2010. Car had 110K miles but the interior showed age more consistent with 150K or even worse. Leather looked like it had never been conditioned and arm rest seemed to have been repainted by a spray can (over spray evident on plastic pieces)

As crappy a condition it was aesthetically, it drove "better" than the 2009 100K mile single owner cherry I drove last week.

'10 had more of a planted feel and far less yo-yo suspension like the 2009 I drove.

2009 was more quiet, both as far as engine and road noise. I dont mean to be crass but the 2010 clearly seemed like it was assembled in the U.S.. Fender gaps, plastic materials.. all were not as good a quality as the 2009

2010 has a lot more modern look and feel. I prefer the ride quality, steering feedback, interior design of 2010.. but I prefer the smoother quieter engine, better quality leather/plastic of the 2009

So... back to square ONE

lol
Old 11-15-17, 01:58 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by kam1996
snip edit
So... back to square ONE

lol
Why back to square ONE? Isn't your choice made? Or you are now going to look for better condition Gen3

Salim
Old 11-15-17, 03:35 PM
kam1996
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Why back to square ONE? Isn't your choice made? Or you are now going to look for better condition Gen3

Salim
Back to square one because there are positives for both generations that I would like to have

that said.. I have a feeling a better condition Gen 3 will trump (snap!!) a gen2 for our needs...

Wife's weekend car is a 958 GTS, so gen 2 is just a little too boaty/yo-yo and Gen 3 felt more planted and at least closer to something she would like to drive
Old 11-15-17, 05:14 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by kam1996
Back to square one because there are positives for both generations that I would like to have

that said.. I have a feeling a better condition Gen 3 will trump (snap!!) a gen2 for our needs...

Wife's weekend car is a 958 GTS, so gen 2 is just a little too boaty/yo-yo and Gen 3 felt more planted and at least closer to something she would like to drive
Choice between boat and floaty ... sorry could not resist. I am very happy with my 2011 450h

Salim
Old 11-16-17, 06:09 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Anything that old would probably benefit from replacing the struts & shocks which would improve the driving dynamics. Maybe budget in an extra $800 for that upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
lextout (09-11-23)
Old 11-20-17, 09:08 AM
mikecd1
Driver School Candidate

Another thing we neglected to mention was the steering box was changed on the gen3 I believe from hydraulic to electric (may be something else, but they are different). When I had my mechanic do an inspection on the gen2 I was looking at he discovered very leaking steering box and rear struts. Both of those items are different now in the gen3. Apparently the leaking steering boxes were a common problem on the gen 2's along with inferior oil cooler lines early on.
Old 11-21-17, 06:11 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had 2010 with light color interior and at 50k miles my driver seat and arm rest looked worse than my 2000 ES did with almost 200k miles on it, for whatever reason leather didn't hold up, even though i took care of that car a lot, in and out regular cleaning.
Old 11-21-17, 08:11 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2009 and a few things to look out for. The dreaded oil cooler line. Replace the rubber with metal for a piece of mind. ASAP
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oler-line.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-pictures.html

Rack and pinion need a thorough look, don't skimp looking under the car and while your there at 100k car look at the water pump to make sure it's not leaking.
Hope I didn't scare you away from this wonderful ride. I replaced all struts & shocks, rack & pinion, upper & lower ball joints/bushings . and the ride is amazing. LOVE the floaty marshmallow ride. Soaks up anything in the road.
Good luck.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 11-21-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 04:31 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The same dreaded oil cooler line is probably in the 2010 you're looking at as well. The rack and pinion on both should be inspected by an expert before purchasing either vehicle.
As for the 09 vs the 10, We have an 09 and a gen 3 RX350. If you want a plush, luxury ride, go for the 09. If you like a firm, Jeep like ride, go for the 2010. We've been fairly disappointed in our 2014, Gen 3. After being pleasantly surprised with the smooth ride of our 09, the 2014's firm ride is not what we expected. However, Lexus reliability, sans the two issues listed by rxonmymind, is incredible. Our total budget for non-maintenance expenditures for both cars over the last three years is $500. We spend way more on routine maintenance, but I'm OK with that.
On either car, if you buy it, take it to a reliable mechanic or dealer and change the transmission fluid and coolant. INSIST on Toyota brand transmission fluid. I also use Toyota brand coolant. In fact all liquids, except windshield washer fluid and oil, we purchase from Toyota. Yes it makes a difference.
Old 11-28-17, 02:36 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

We actually just went through this exact same search so maybe I can provide some insight. We bought a 2010 RX350 in 04/2017 after a long search for an 07-09. Many of the extra features in the 2010 (smart key, etc) have been mentioned or are pretty obvious, so I will skip those. I will throw in ventilated seats, I did not see those mentioned as a plus on 3RX. They don't work well, but they work better than the nothing you get on the 2RX. Also, the 2010 350 does have the same oil cooler pipe issues as the 07-09, I have had mine changed out pre-emptively. However, the 3RX ones are less prone to failure because they're newer (so less chance that the engine was starved for oil), and newer (2011+?) models have the steel pipe from the factory.

One big thing I'm surprised nobody mentioned is that the 2RX had a massive issue with cracked dashboards. I've seen waits of 2 years for parts, because there's so many that were affected. Other than that rather large issue, I do feel the rest of the 2RX was built better. Every single 2RX I drove felt quieter and more Lexus-like than the 3RX we have. That impression is backed up by all the forum threads and complaints here about engine/exhaust noise, road noise, and harsh ride. Yes the 2RX is more boat-like in ride and handling - that's why I wanted a Lexus to begin with. I put up with the ride in our 3RX, but I'd change it if I could. Also the seat leather was also noticeably better/thicker/more supple/less prone to crack on 2RX, again this impression has been backed up by complaints I've seen on the 3RX forum. I am seeking to reupholster or repair the leather in ours and it hasn't hit 100k miles yet...

There are slight maintenance differences. The 07-09 is a 5 speed auto and the 2010-2012 uses a 6 speed. The difference seems minor, but the 5 speed felt way smoother with high miles. I did the transmission fluid on our 6 speed this weekend and it was toast at 95k miles. Darkest I've ever seen tranny fluid. It shifts better now particularly when cold, but I'm wondering if all those who followed the "lifetime fluid" recommendation are in for a wake-up call soon. The shocks and struts have been issues for both generations, especially the rear. The 3RX has the benefit in this category. Although they still fail, they are actual shocks - just held on by 2 bolts and you don't need to mess with the springs. Can be done in an hour with under $150 in parts. On the 2RX, they are struts all around. You have to work with a spring compressor and it will take a lot more time and effort. Bigger pain. Minor difference, but if you are going to replace rear struts every 50k as is seems to be the norm on these cars, it helps.

One major issue you need to be aware of if you don't bring the vehicle to a mechanic, and this applies to both 2RX and 3RX. The 3.5L V6 has had some issues with an oil leak from the timing chain cover. This has plagued Toyota's 3.5L engines since 2005, and on the RX and Highlander models, it is a engine-out repair. It is a $2000 repair at a minimum (closer to $3k these days), though some people ignore it if it's minor seepage (and I would too). If you see any signs of oil leakage from the bottom of the vehicle - don't dismiss it!
​​​​​​
Ultimately we went with the 3RX because it was a good deal and felt slightly roomier than the 2RX. The main difference in the cabin is that the arm rests on the 2RX is very narrow. If you are wide shouldered like me, you end up not really having an armrest. The 3RX armrest is the full width of the console, so not an issue there. The price difference is not huge as you've noticed, and parts will be available on the 3RX for a longer period of time from Lexus. Most of the price differential will be recovered when you go to sell it as well (if you sell). Most of the lower mileage 07-09 RX we ran across were also city cars with many problems. Ran across one with a blown head gasket, a few with transmission replacements, all under 100k miles - atypical for a Toyota product. I think a 2011 with average miles will actually last longer than a older model with low miles - less wear and tear overall.

Good luck with your decision, I think both choices are good and you probably won't regret it

Last edited by N4TECguy; 11-28-17 at 02:50 PM.