RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 02:06 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,179 Likes on 1,007 Posts

A MacPherson strut on a Lexus is about the same as a MacPherson strut on any other manufacturer's vehicle. They have been in use for over 50 years. Any professional mechanic knows how to replace them. There may be a few extra bits attached, but overall the process of compressing the spring etc is about the same as when Earle MacPherson invented them. You do not need a dealer for this. I have a spring compressor and have done over a dozen in my garage at home on Fords, Mazdas, Hondas and Toyotas. No Lexus yet although I did replace the RX rear shocks. About bringing in your own parts you need to call around as some shops will allow this and others will not. It depends.
Old 12-02-17, 07:07 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed Monroe Quick Struts on my 2010 RX450h. I was so impressed with the ride of the Monroe Rear Shocks that I had to install the front struts. In researching, some sites do not advertise the Quick Struts but if you add a 1 in front of the Monroe strut number, such as 172765, the complete strut comes up. I was able to purchase the complete Quick Strut for $14 above the basic strut itself. I felt it was a deal I could not pass up. What could go wrong...?
As it turned out sometimes rusted bolts have to be guided with massive WD40 and a propane torch... and eventually they give up
Unfortunately I had to order two sway-bar extensions which took another week to ship. In total parts for the Monroe Quick Struts, sway-bar extensions, and rear shocks came to less the $450... of course my labor was priceless. I felt it was well worth the cost and my time.
My ride evaluation... the rider was everything I was looking for... smooth with little feel of the road bumps. The sway was gone and actually I felt the front was now better then the rear. I finally had my SUV that rides like a car.
Now I realize some of you want to feel the road... and there is nothing wrong with that. So please do not judge me for wanting that Grandpa ride... I just prefer a vehicle that doesn't beat me up every time I drive it.
Old 12-04-17, 08:40 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

does anyone know what is the different between the Struts for japan Built RX and Canada Built RX is there any different i see that on Mylparts a Japan Built Strut is 194 and a Canada Build Strut is like 126 big different in price do
they bolt on different have extra features?
i know that my dads 2012 is japan built even thought it was from canda because there was a stick inside the door area that says japan built i saw when i was in florida for the holiday
Old 12-04-17, 09:32 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
does anyone know what is the different between the Struts for japan Built RX and Canada Built RX is there any different i see that on Mylparts a Japan Built Strut is 194 and a Canada Build Strut is like 126 big different in price do
they bolt on different have extra features?
i know that my dads 2012 is japan built even thought it was from canda because there was a stick inside the door area that says japan built i saw when i was in florida for the holiday
Check the vin number. Leading "J" means the vehicle originated in Japan.

Salim
Old 12-04-17, 10:23 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Check the vin number. Leading "J" means the vehicle originated in Japan.

Salim
thank you
but what I'm curious about is whats the difference in parts like does one have an extra bolt or does one origin bolt in differnatly or something thats what im curious about
cause for instance say i buy parts on rock auto it doesn't give you a different part option for Japan or canada built

but if i buy a part from lexus directly they have different options for diffiernet vehicle origin builds
Old 12-04-17, 01:07 PM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
thank you
but what I'm curious about is whats the difference in parts like does one have an extra bolt or does one origin bolt in differnatly or something thats what im curious about
cause for instance say i buy parts on rock auto it doesn't give you a different part option for Japan or canada built

but if i buy a part from lexus directly they have different options for diffiernet vehicle origin builds
Sorry cant help you there.
Other than suggesting calling dealership with vin number of your vehicle. .. an option you already know.

If you purchase parts locally from parts store, you can take your old part and do the comparison.

Salim
Old 12-05-17, 06:23 AM
Clutchless

I bet it has more to do with spring rates and shock valving and oils and pressure. That is why aftermarket says it will fit both, because both versions look the same and fit the same.
Old 01-31-19, 07:03 AM
whaler62
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Struts and Shocks

I'm planning on replacing the shocks and struts on my 2010 RX450H. I took my car in and got a quote from a shop I trust; the parts the plan on using are OE Spectrum. I think they're contractually supposed to use NAPA--NAPA loves OE Spectrum stuff.

I've been lurking and searching through old posts on replacing the shocks and struts, and it looks like most people recommend the KYB shocks or the OE struts from Lexuspartsnow.com. I've seen mention of the Monroe shocks, but I can't tell if people are referring to the OE Spectrum shock by them. Are there any other companies, like Bilstein, that make shocks for our vehicle? What would you say is best in terms of performance? Part numbers would be much appreciated.
Old 01-31-19, 08:31 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 425 Likes on 340 Posts

I really like Bilstein shocks. They did wonders for restoring the suspension comfort and performance in my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 when I installed them at around 100,000 miles several years ago. If Bilstein makes the appropriate shocks for our 2015 RX350, that will be my default choice assuming we keep this vehicle long enough.
Old 01-31-19, 09:31 AM
whaler62
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, that's my question though. Does Bilstein or anyone else make shocks that would work for our vehicles?
Old 01-31-19, 12:04 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 425 Likes on 340 Posts

Contact Bilstein and ask them.
Old 01-31-19, 12:28 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Contact Bilstein and ask them.
Better yet, https://www.bilstein.com/int/en/products-and-services/
Old 01-31-19, 01:10 PM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the ride in my F sport (I think I'm one of the few ) and replaced the rear shocks with factory f sport units ordered from a Lexus dealer. I believe I paid $55.00ea when I ordered them.
Old 01-31-19, 02:05 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont think bilstein make shocks for Rx . I put on KYD and they were a great up grade from OEM, rides a lot better . I would bet Monroe would be fine also . I have used NAPA /Monroe on plenty of cars and trucks never had any problems .
Old 02-01-19, 06:55 AM
Clutchless

Sachs makes struts and shocks for the RX. They are a reputable OEM supplier to BMW etc. I think Rock Auto and carid.com and maybe Autozone or Advance Auto has them. They offer both regular and sport suspension (stiffer) versions. Part numbers I recall are 316603, 316406 and 316407.

However I heard good reviews of the Monroe OE Spectrum struts and shocks and that they were tuned more for European vehicles. OE Spectrum are the only Monroe shock/strut product that fits the RX. It would be a great replacement.

Here is blurb about them and a link. https://www.monroe-oespectrum.com/

Tenneco Inc. expanded its line of Monroe OESpectrum shock absorbers and struts to cover all domestic and foreign nameplate passenger vehicle models. The OESpectrum line was previously available only for foreign nameplate applications.

“Monroe OESpectrum shocks and struts have been an overwhelming success since their introduction four years ago, and service providers throughout North America have asked us to extend the benefits of this technology to all makes and models,” said Bill Dennie, director of ride control channel management at Tenneco North America Aftermarket. “OESpectrum units provide noticeably improved ride and handling characteristics as compared to conventional replacement shocks and struts, including our own Sensa-Trac products.”

According to Tenneco, most premium Monroe brand passenger car shocks and struts – including Sensa-Trac units – manufactured in the past several months have been equipped with the Twin Technology Active Control System utilized in OESpectrum units.

Tenneco noted that the unique blend of control and comfort that Monroe OESpectrum shocks and struts offers is made possible by each unit’s Twin Technology Active Control System, an internal damping approach first developed for global vehicle manufacturers. The system consists of Tenneco’s Impact Control Valve and a patented Low Speed Tunability piston design that isolates impact-related noise, vibration and harshness. This technology is available in mono- and twin-tube OESpectrum units for passenger cars, vans, light trucks, sport-utility vehicles and crossover models as well as in replacement cartridges for vehicles equipped with rebuildable strut systems.

“OESpectrum units essentially offer twice as many tuning points as conventional shocks and struts, which enables our engineers to eliminate the compromises between control and comfort in everyday driving situations,” Dennie said. “This breakthrough approach is just as beneficial in domestic vehicles as it has been in foreign nameplates.”

Last edited by Clutchless; 02-01-19 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement (merged threads)