RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 07:10 AM
whaler62
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sachs makes struts and shocks for the RX. They are a reputable OEM supplier to BMW etc. I think Rock Auto and carid.com and maybe Autozone or Advance Auto has them. They offer both regular and sport suspension (stiffer) versions. Part numbers I recall are 316603, 316406 and 316407.

However I heard good reviews of the Monroe OE Spectrum struts and shocks and that they were tuned more for European vehicles. OE Spectrum are the only Monroe shock/strut product that fits the RX. It would be a great replacement.
Thanks for all of the feedback and part numbers. It's much appreciated! Honestly, this whole thread with how to install stuff is a huge help.

I dont think bilstein make shocks for Rx . I put on KYD and they were a great up grade from OEM, rides a lot better . I would bet Monroe would be fine also . I have used NAPA /Monroe on plenty of cars and trucks never had any problems .
Your experience seems to echo what I've been reading elsewhere. I'll definitely upgrade then to something better than OEM. I'm leaning towards the OE Spectrum just because it seems like I can find them a little cheaper than the KYB shocks--I only hesitate because there are so many overwhelmingly positive reviews of the KYB shocks.
Old 02-02-19, 07:14 AM
whaler62
10th Gear

Originally Posted by smknkeyz
I like the ride in my F sport (I think I'm one of the few ) and replaced the rear shocks with factory f sport units ordered from a Lexus dealer. I believe I paid $55.00ea when I ordered them.
Is the ride in the sport that much harsher? How would you describe it?
Old 02-04-19, 08:59 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by whaler62
Is the ride in the sport that much harsher? How would you describe it?
I can answer this while on my coffee break
On my 30k miles, 2013 F-Sport, the back seat-passengers are the ones who usually complain. Front seaters can hardly feel the stiffness meaning that front suspensions are well-tuned. However, I'm sure that this is part of the F-Sport design as the vehicle doesn't demonstrate any other symptoms of worn struts!
I, however, purchased a pair of KYB rear struts and planning to put them on next summer before my next cross country ride..

Hope this helps..
Old 02-07-19, 04:32 AM
whaler62
10th Gear

Originally Posted by heshamos
I can answer this while on my coffee break
On my 30k miles, 2013 F-Sport, the back seat-passengers are the ones who usually complain. Front seaters can hardly feel the stiffness meaning that front suspensions are well-tuned. However, I'm sure that this is part of the F-Sport design as the vehicle doesn't demonstrate any other symptoms of worn struts!
I, however, purchased a pair of KYB rear struts and planning to put them on next summer before my next cross country ride..

Hope this helps..
It does help! I've decided I'm going to go with the OE Spectrum. I have no doubt that KYB Excel G's would be great, but I want to try the OE Spectrum and add my two cents as to how the ride feels. I just changed them out last night, and I do feel a noticeable improvement. However, the old shocks were quite worn, so I'll have to drive it some more to report on how firm/soft and how controlled the ride feels. It feels much better than the old shocks--no surprise there.
Old 02-07-19, 05:33 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

How many miles were on your RX when you changed your shocks?
Old 02-07-19, 05:35 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you change the front and back?
Did you visually inspect the old struts? What's your take on them?

Cheers!
Old 04-06-19, 03:15 PM
whaler62
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RX in NC
How many miles were on your RX when you changed your shocks?
Around 110K.

Did you change the front and back?
Did you visually inspect the old struts? What's your take on them?

Cheers!
For now, just the back. I'll change out the front here in a few months. I had some other maintenance that needed to be done, and the struts are due to be replaced—they're not urgent though. I visually inspected and also took it into a shop to get a few other things looked at. They're not leaking, but it's well past time for them to be changed.

The rear shocks do help drastically both in terms of handling and ride quality. Over low speed bumps (driveway, speed bumps, etc.) it feels softer, at high speeds it rebounds faster and I notice the tires stay in contact with the road much better. I can't speak to if this is how the car felt new, but it feels comfortable to ride and doesn't feel like the car leans around turns or sways like it did. The ride isn't harsh; it feels supported and comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
RX in NC (04-07-19)
Old 04-08-19, 09:33 AM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Just a heads up, KYB has a minimum $40 rebate on four shocks/struts. Debating doing mine on our 2010. Only 50k miles, but haven't checked for leaks. Can get all four on rockauto out shipped for around $360. Rock auto also sent me a coupion for ordering from them recently. KYB part numbers 349203 for the rear, 339281 and 339282 for the front.
Old 04-23-19, 09:28 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Just changed my rear shocks with KYB ExcelG over the weekend. (It was a heavy Easter basket). THe rears were showing beginning signs of leakage. THey have about 90K on them as they were changed by dealer under warranty at 30k (have 118k now). THe originals were TOkico. Well, it's been years but the Rx did bounce a bit going over rough roads. However, the KYBs smooth things out VERY nicely. It's like a new car. Will eventually have to change the front struts since one is beginning to leak, but I just had the inner CV boots replaced and got an alignment for that last month. After seeing significant injuries from failed "rental" spring compressors, will have to pay a shop to do the fronts I'm just not brave enough.
Old 04-30-19, 02:44 PM
dansforest
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gampa
I just installed Monroe Quick Struts on my 2010 RX450h. I was so impressed with the ride of the Monroe Rear Shocks that I had to install the front struts. In researching, some sites do not advertise the Quick Struts but if you add a 1 in front of the Monroe strut number, such as 172765, the complete strut comes up. I was able to purchase the complete Quick Strut for $14 above the basic strut itself. I felt it was a deal I could not pass up. What could go wrong...?
As it turned out sometimes rusted bolts have to be guided with massive WD40 and a propane torch... and eventually they give up
Unfortunately I had to order two sway-bar extensions which took another week to ship. In total parts for the Monroe Quick Struts, sway-bar extensions, and rear shocks came to less the $450... of course my labor was priceless. I felt it was well worth the cost and my time.
My ride evaluation... the rider was everything I was looking for... smooth with little feel of the road bumps. The sway was gone and actually I felt the front was now better then the rear. I finally had my SUV that rides like a car.
Now I realize some of you want to feel the road... and there is nothing wrong with that. So please do not judge me for wanting that Grandpa ride... I just prefer a vehicle that doesn't beat me up every time I drive it.
This sounds like exactly what I need. I have done the tires....still not 100% happy with the bumps. Tires made a HUGE difference, but i want the suv that rides like a car. Did you 1st do the back, and see how it road? How many miles were on the car at the time?
Old 04-30-19, 02:51 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

Rear shocks affect your ride more than the front struts and are far cheaper and easier to install. Do them first.
Also, WD40 is a terrible product to loosen rusted bolts & nuts. Use PB Blaster (or KROIL or CRC penetrating solvent) instead as that is what they were designed to do, sink in and loosen frozen nuts & bolts. It is best to start spraying them a couple days before the project and spray every day afterward then again right when you want to remove them. It takes time to sink in all the way and loosen things.
Old 04-30-19, 02:57 PM
dansforest
Rookie

Wow, that was a fast reply. I have had my 2014 rx350 for a year now, came with No name tires....I just now took them off, and put on Michelins. Big rolling difference, quiet now, and smooth, but the car is still is a little harsh on bumps. Will replacing the back shocks solve this? I also have a 2008 highlander that drives like a dream, way less harsh....

I am at the point where i can return the tires, and put the old ones on and sell the car (which I love everything about the car)...except the ride, or dump more money into it and replace the back shocks...I really want this car to happen...but man, it is harsh.....thanks in adv. for any help!!

Defining harsh - you feel the bumps way more than the highlander, the lexus is bouncyer and rocks side to side way more.......
Old 04-30-19, 04:38 PM
Clutchless

They may or may not make a difference, everyone perceives their vehicle ride differently and has their own expectations. I don't mind the bounce and do not think it bad and I even installed the sport suspension rear shocks, but I used to have a MINI Cooper S...

Rear shocks are not that expensive, from this link you can see the Monroe's are under $50 each at Rock Auto https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+absorber,7556
You could probably have your local gas station or any local mechanic install them in less than an hour. I replaced both of mine in my garage in less than an hour but I have been doing my own car repairs for many years.
Not much of an investment to see if you want to keep the vehicle.
Old 04-30-19, 05:44 PM
dansforest
Rookie

Ya, I am running out of time. Its odd, because it seems like the car is better in the colder temps/morning, than the hotter afternoon. Ive got to do something with this thing. I understand what you are saying about perspectives, I think that you are 100% right. People do expect certain rides out of a lexus and they are all different expectations. Mine was for it to be nice, quieter, and smoother than any other car I have owned. It is that, but it is harsh when hitting uneven pavement, or broken pavement. I am really frustrated....and at a crossroads. It needs to ride well....for me, and not so harsh and sporty. Wonder if shocks are the key.
Old 05-01-19, 04:54 AM
Clutchless

I think you should get a different vehicle as you will probably still be unhappy and have buyers remorse even after changing the rear shocks. They will not transform it into a HIghlander as that vehicle has a different rear suspension and longer wheelbase, all of which make it ride differently than the RX350.
Next time do a lot more test driving of competitive vehicles in different conditions before purchasing.

A good place to start is comparison reviews such as this https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...onda-passport/

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-01-19 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply: RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement (merged threads)