RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 06:17 AM
dansforest
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did alot of test driving, but was so overwhelmed by the luxury of lexus and didnt really pay attention to the way it handles on bad roads. The suspension is now the same on the highlander, like the lexus. Since 2014 for the highlander, as far as design. But you are right on the specs. Which you would not think it would make that big of a difference....

Last edited by kitlz; 11-04-19 at 10:07 AM. Reason: delete garbage
Old 05-01-19, 06:23 AM
dansforest
Rookie

Well, that didnt post right. Was trying to show you the comparison between the 2 cars. They are not that much different, in specs, so I didnt think it would be that different of a car. Both SUVs have the same suspension - Double Wishbone. But if you think that changing out the rear, and possibly the front wont make me happy, then maybe I do need to return the tires, and not do the shock swaps, and try to sell the car, which is gonna be tough as well. I do think that it is close to me liking it, but you could be correct, I may never be happy, because I continue to hit bumps, and be unhappy with the way it handles those bumps. But it is so close....that extra comfort....with new shocks could do it. I do understand they are 2 different cars and the lexus will never be like a highlander, but if I could get it close to it....i could be happy. Since the highlander will never be as nice as a lexus inside and out...The lexus is an attractive offer.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...2_12771-368969

This lexus is close to what I want. And would not of bought it, if i didnt like it. I did test drive a 2015 originally, but ended up buying a 2014 in a different color. I do think that there is something wrong with the rear shocks on this car. The amount of sway is MORE than other Rx's and the bouncing seems more loose in the rear. And since I switched the tires, I now hear an audible sound in the back on both sides of the car every time I go over a bump. It is like plastic moving in the car. Sounds like it is on the door frame somewhere.

Last edited by dansforest; 05-01-19 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 01:22 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

Well there used to be a problem with the rear shocks leaking, but it was supposedly fixed by 2013. They are easy to check if you don't mind getting a flashlight, then laying on the ground and know what shocks look like to find them (vertical black sticks inside of each rear wheel). If the lower portion is wet looking or darker than the top, then you probably have leaking rear shocks.
Another issue is the rear trailing arm bushings wearing out prematurely, but this appears to be random and requires a mechanic to inspect them on a lift.
Either of these could be a source of your sway issue. Regarding the noise, those are very difficult to diagnose on a forum.

To post an attachment you need to go to advanced.

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-01-19 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 02:26 PM
dansforest
Rookie

Ive had lexus look at the car in the rear...but not sure how well they looked at it, since it was a courtesy. I think I am going to replace the shocks in the back and see if it improves, if it does...dump it. It is amazing the difference in ride compared to the highlander. When they are so close in specs. I appreciate your responses on here.
Old 05-01-19, 03:24 PM
Clutchless

The newer Highlander has a 2 inch longer wheelbase and weights 200 pounds more than the RX. Those differences, plus probable changes in spring rates (maybe ride height too) and shock/strut performance will make all the difference in how the ride differs between the 2 vehicles.

When the local repair shop installs the Monroe shocks ask them to look at the trailing arm bushings.
Old 05-01-19, 06:48 PM
dansforest
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The newer Highlander has a 2 inch longer wheelbase and weights 200 pounds more than the RX. Those differences, plus probable changes in spring rates (maybe ride height too) and shock/strut performance will make all the difference in how the ride differs between the 2 vehicles.

When the local repair shop installs the Monroe shocks ask them to look at the trailing arm bushings.
Absolutely. That 200 lbs should make a big difference in the ride. The compression in the shocks/struts on the highlander seems much better. Meaning the time it takes to respond to a bump, the come back, is much better and possibly smaller. Which is kinda what you were suggesting about the springs. Hopefully after the monroe install, i will get a better ride. I really think I am close to getting this thing to be a nice ride!
Old 05-02-19, 09:06 AM
Clutchless

Do not forget to be sure your tire pressure is adjusted to the levels on the driver's door frame plate! Often tires are over inflated by installers.
Old 05-02-19, 09:54 PM
dansforest
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I think you should get a different vehicle as you will probably still be unhappy and have buyers remorse even after changing the rear shocks. They will not transform it into a HIghlander as that vehicle has a different rear suspension and longer wheelbase, all of which make it ride differently than the RX350.
Next time do a lot more test driving of competitive vehicles in different conditions before purchasing.

A good place to start is comparison reviews such as this https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...onda-passport/

Well, you are not going to believe this....and I almost wonder if I need them to get me another tire....here were the tire pressures.

36 60

36 33

I cant believe i trusted them to install tires correctly. 60!!!!! What in the world...the max is 51 on that tire.......I cant understand how i could even judge the car correctly...with those pressures.

Old 05-03-19, 05:09 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

Whenever I purchase new tires, I take my trusty digital tire gauge with me. Before I leave the shop, I check all of the tires' pressures and adjust them accordingly. Even my favorite tire shop tends to overinflate the new tires, sometimes by as much as five pounds....
Old 05-03-19, 06:15 AM
dansforest
Rookie

You are just like me...ha! I am wondering if the one that was at 60, needs to be replaced, ive driven probably 1500 miles on it. I am lucky it didnt explode with my family in the car. The tire shop has been really nice, but they need to know this.........
Old 05-03-19, 07:47 AM
Clutchless

That tire is probably just fine. It would not explode at 60 pounds, the safety margins are much higher. It would just ride a lot rougher. It was probably the main cause of your ride complaints. I bet it is a lot more comfortable now.
I too always check my pressures after getting new tires as they have to overinflate them to seat the tires on the wheels. Then they are less careful about the final pressure depending on the work load that day.
Old 05-03-19, 10:02 AM
dansforest
Rookie

It is so far. I gotta drive over more rough terrain. I am supposed to get the rear shocks installed on Tuesday, not sure if it is necessary now!
Old 05-03-19, 11:45 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 411 Likes on 328 Posts

I would hold off on installing the new rear shocks until I had a chance to really put the vehicle through its paces now that the tires are properly inflated.
Old 05-06-19, 12:46 PM
dansforest
Rookie

It is much, much better. Infact, I consider it normal at this point. Except for hearing some kind of plastic knock every time i go over a bump, on both sides of the car, near the back seat maybe. I did already order the shocks before I noticed the tire pressure. They are returnable. But i do feel like trying it out, since there were such good reviews from other folks on here. It could make it worse, or better.....
Old 05-06-19, 01:29 PM
Clutchless

Regarding the rear noise, it is most likely the rear cargo cover or rear seats. I usually do not keep the cargo cover in the car as it makes so much noise. Make sure the rear seats, which recline, are properly locked into place as they can knock around. Some have put foam behind or under them to reduce movement.

Quick Reply: RX350 Struts/Shock Replacement (merged threads)