RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thinking about selling my RXh...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 09:33 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Thinking about selling my RXh...

I love the vehicle, but it is in the middle of a shop-induced damage repair effort, and I'm not so sure I want to hold onto this one once the repairs are made. It's not that I insist on having a pristine vehicle, by any means... it's the specific nature of the damage and repair effort.

Here's what happened. My wife had the vehicle at the tire shop to get one of our tires replaced, and the technician left the driver side door open while raising the lift. The lift arm caught the back bottom edge of the door and cocked it upwards so that you could not even think of getting it closed. Now, the driver's door is more like a gullwing!

I've been doing business with this shop for over ten years, and know and trust the shop manager who is being very proactive in getting things done correctly. We had a rental car delivered to the house that same afternoon (albeit not anything comparable to our RXh -- thanks to the pre-reserved holiday rentals having scarfed up all but the low end models). This happened on Friday, and the insurance adjuster will see it today. They've already determined that it will receive a completely new door skin from Lexus and that all my interior door components, none of which are damaged, will simply get transferred over into the new skin.

So what's my problem? Aside from the gouged and buckled door skin, the door hinges are torqued badly, and I'm not so sure that I'm going to have confidence in any shop's realignment efforts on a sprung door. I don't know yet if the door frame column is bent, or if it's just the hinges themselves which are bent, and I can't know that until they finalize the estimating process and start removing/re-installing the new door. I'm going to be looking at it extremely closely, though, and if I get any inkling that the alignment isn't perfect with the new door, this thing's going on the market and I'll take advantage of the timing to upgrade to something newer in the '11-'13 range.

Have any of you had a door sprung upwards like this and have the repairs come out well?

Last edited by F250; 12-20-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 10:03 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

That's bad news. I've not had a door spring up like a gull wing door like you explained but I've been hit on the door in the past to cause enough damage to re-hang the door. Both times, it never felt the same.

If the cost of new car vs. value of your current car work out with modest outlay of new cash, I'd say swap the car.
Old 11-21-17, 10:26 AM
F250
Lead Lap

I'm expecting the difference to not be huge, and my wife and I have talked about it already as well, and she's on board with me doing what I think best. If, on the other hand the new door aligns perfectly once it's bolted on, I might re-think the extra "investment".

Here's another thing I've been wondering, too, though. I'm suspecting that this may show up on a Carfax report, but I'm not sure if "non-accident" damage like this gets reported into the database used by Carfax. I've spoken with the body shop about this issue, and they tell me that they don't ever report anything, and that would be an issue managed by the insurance company(ies) which are involved. I guess I really just need to ask the insurance rep who is handling the claim.

Do any of you have any knowledge about this kind of damage reporting scenario?
Old 11-21-17, 10:34 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 593 Likes on 414 Posts

On my 2007 Camry back a few yrs ago my daughter opened the passenger door in a parking lot as another car was pulling through. The door was forced open well past 90 d and caused some buckling where the hinges are. I ended up having it fixed at an Audi dealer because I knew the repair shop manager there. The door was replaced and the hinges straightened. It was perfect, I looked it over really closely and I could not tell it wasn't original. I think it comes down to how much effort the repair guy is willing to put in. The shop manager said the door was painted twice because "even though I wouldn't have been able to tell" he could see slight imperfections and it wasn't good enough.
Old 11-21-17, 11:07 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Thanks for that input, Andy. I know that repairs can be made well, and that there are highly capable technicians who take extreme pride in their work. I can only hope that the body shop which has my car assigns someone as capable and caring. I have also had similarly excellent work done at other body shops, but they are over 300 miles away at this point and not a viable option for me. If I could transplant my car to that shop in North Augusta, SC, I would have no qualms about keeping it because I KNOW how it would be repaired.

I also know that the painting is planned to be blended into the rear door and front quarter panel to ensure proper match. Given that the car is a dark color, that will help offset any associated difficulty in getting a good match on the metal flake component in the base color (Smoky Granite Mica).

The painting, though, is really the least of my concerns. It is the unknowns associated with this body shop and the final mechanical fit, function, and seal of the new door on the body which concern me the most. If that is perfect and all I have to do is fight with them over paint finish quality, I've fought that battle before (other shops) and will do so again if necessary, and I know how to win it.
Old 11-21-17, 11:21 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I would say, wait until it is fixed. Chances are, it will come out perfect.
If then you feel like upgrading, then by all means.
RX450hL is coming out and that has my interest in getting a newer model.
Old 11-21-17, 11:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Pete, I'm sorry to hear about your 450h. I can't say I've heard about similar damage, you might be the first. Fortunately no one was hurt. While it's understandable you might not want to keep it, give the repair a chance and then revisit the idea. Who knows, maybe it'll work out in the end. I sure hope it does. As far as the repair being reported, I was under the impression it depends on the amount and the body shop. The repair doesn't always show up in Carfax. Not that I suggest being dishonest with the potential buyer if that happens. In your case the repair is not typical (i.e. damage from a collision with another vehicle). That might be to your advantage. Additionally you could pursue diminished value to help recoup some of the lost value.

Good luck and please keep us posted. Hopefully you won't have to sell your 450h. But if you do, consider getting another RXh. You barely got to enjoy this one.
Old 11-21-17, 11:38 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I would say, wait until it is fixed. Chances are, it will come out perfect.
If then you feel like upgrading, then by all means.
RX450hL is coming out and that has my interest in getting a newer model.
I think this is good advice. Time to wait until repair is done and then decide. Accident do happens but
It is hard to believe it happened.
Old 11-21-17, 01:11 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Accidents do happen, but the tech should have caught it in time to minimize damage.

I would have taken a used door and hang that one. And only let the body shop pull back hinges location to desired spot.

In the mean time, keep looking for a replacement. Unfortunately it would mean more $$$ out of your pocket.

Salim
Old 11-21-17, 01:45 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
I love the vehicle, but it is in the middle of a shop-induced damage repair effort, and I'm not so sure I want to hold onto this one once the repairs are made. It's not that I insist on having a pristine vehicle, by any means... it's the specific nature of the damage and repair effort.

Here's what happened. My wife had the vehicle at the tire shop to get one of our tires replaced, and the technician left the driver side door open while raising the lift. The lift arm caught the back bottom edge of the door and cocked it upwards so that you could not even think of getting it closed. Now, the driver's door is more like a gullwing!

I've been doing business with this shop for over ten years, and know and trust the shop manager who is being very proactive in getting things done correctly. We had a rental car delivered to the house that same afternoon (albeit not anything comparable to our RXh -- thanks to the pre-reserved holiday rentals having scarfed up all but the low end models). This happened on Friday, and the insurance adjuster will see it today. They've already determined that it will receive a completely new door skin from Lexus and that all my interior door components, none of which are damaged, will simply get transferred over into the new skin.

So what's my problem? Aside from the gouged and buckled door skin, the door hinges are torqued badly, and I'm not so sure that I'm going to have confidence in any shop's realignment efforts on a sprung door. I don't know yet if the door frame column is bent, or if it's just the hinges themselves which are bent, and I can't know that until they finalize the estimating process and start removing/re-installing the new door. I'm going to be looking at it extremely closely, though, and if I get any inkling that the alignment isn't perfect with the new door, this thing's going on the market and I'll take advantage of the timing to upgrade to something newer in the '11-'13 range.

Have any of you had a door sprung upwards like this and have the repairs come out well?
Damaged a 2000 RX by hopping out of the car while it was in reverse. Huge spider was crawling up my chest. Door caught the garage door center post and could not be closed. Body shop did a great job and I didn't have any problems at lease turn in.
Old 11-21-17, 06:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Sorry to hear about what happened.

I don't have any experience in this type of damage.

However, a couple of years ago my CT200h sustained driver side frontal damage as I ran into some pickup truck's "A" rack that somehow fell out and was in the middle of the highway just after dark.....so by the time I saw it, I was not able to get out if the way as it slid across the highway. The damages were all "cosmetic" as far as I can tell. Nothing structurally and the car was still drivable, but looked REALLY REALLY BAD. Driver side headlight out and 1/3 front bumper gone and driver's side fender crushed up. Hood and windshield and all glasses were intact and ok. Driver's side mirror gone. I guess I really couldn't drive it some 2500 miles home back to SoCal and hence supported my request for transport. My insurance coverage did not include transport as far as I know.

I was traveling out of state (some 2500 miles away from home in SoCal). I asked my insurance company if they can transport my car to the shop of my choice in SoCal. After some negotiations back and forth, we settled 50-50. I had previously shipped cars cross country so I called my contact (so I know the deal is legit) and got put on an incoming open trailer going west to SoCal (last spot on that auto transporter. The driver needed to fill that last open spot and I needed transport.....so win-win for both).

The point is in most states (if not all), the insurance company can not tell you or make you go to a specific body shop as this is ILLEGAL. They may recommend that you go to one of their cut rate shops so they can cut costs. So in my case my damaged car got picked up and shipped out to a major Lexus dealership with its own body shop without me having to be present. All I had to do is called them up and gave them the info on the phone (I'm an existing customer, not that was a requirement). The truck driver took care of the delivery and transport. Of course many pics were taken both inside and outside of the car by me, the truck driver, and then at arrival at the Lexus dealership body shop. All very professionally done.

After $12K+ later, my CT200h was restored to the point I can't even tell if anything had happened.

Reporting depends on the insurance company, body shop. If a police report was filed your chances of reporting is at all time high.

I would see what happens after all the repairs are done. If you still like the car, then I would keep it for a while longer. Even if there is a CarFax report on it, over time when you get around to sell it......this issue is negligible.

One more thing.......ask if the body shop will give you IN WRITING "lifetime warranty" as long as you own the car. Mine did and I don't think that Lexus dealership will be gone tomorrow.

So after about two years now......all still good.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that input, Andy. I know that repairs can be made well, and that there are highly capable technicians who take extreme pride in their work. I can only hope that the body shop which has my car assigns someone as capable and caring. I have also had similarly excellent work done at other body shops, but they are over 300 miles away at this point and not a viable option for me. If I could transplant my car to that shop in North Augusta, SC, I would have no qualms about keeping it because I KNOW how it would be repaired.

I also know that the painting is planned to be blended into the rear door and front quarter panel to ensure proper match. Given that the car is a dark color, that will help offset any associated difficulty in getting a good match on the metal flake component in the base color (Smoky Granite Mica).

The painting, though, is really the least of my concerns. It is the unknowns associated with this body shop and the final mechanical fit, function, and seal of the new door on the body which concern me the most. If that is perfect and all I have to do is fight with them over paint finish quality, I've fought that battle before (other shops) and will do so again if necessary, and I know how to win it.

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-21-17 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vlad_a (11-22-17)
Old 11-22-17, 08:08 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Good feedback. Thanks folks.

I am looking to see what's available within a decent travel distance, and there are some, but the only ones I would potentially be interested in are all ... ALL black, and that's not my preferred color. Anyway, I'm just feeling around in the market and suspect that after Christmas might be a better time to make the jump, IF I do!

I'm certainly willing to give the body shop a chance to do right, and really do not relish the idea of another used car purchase effort, nor the outlay of additional cash right now.

As for the replacement vehicle, if/when we do make the change... I intend for it to be another RXh! My wife just told me this morning, too, that even though the rental Ford Escape we ended up with is better than the Corolla they started us out with, it's still "like driving a tin can"! Her appreciation for the RXh is increased beyond where it had already grown to, and I think I would have a small battle trying to get her into something different.

SIDE NOTE, OFF TOPIC: I've had a XC60 and QX80 this month in two different business rentals, and they were both really, really nice. I was severely impressed with the QX80, but it's really too large for our needs, even though the ride and comfort in it were well beyond what I have in the RXh. As for the XC60, as disturbing as the Auto Start/Stop was, the dash and controls were as intuitively well-appointed as anything I've ever seen in another vehicle, and it's responsive turbo 6-cylinder made it quite fun to drive. Regardless, purchasing a new vehicle (dealer new, as in 2017/18) falls outside of my vehicle purchasing philosophy. Depending on how Lexus moves forward, I might be willing to consider another brand some 3-5 years down the road, but not yet!
Old 11-22-17, 12:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

For a replacement purchase, you need to have an idea of what the market value/trade-in of your vehicle being repaired and the one you plan to get. I would be on the look out and jump on the vehicle that meets your requirement. My purchase was initiated even before the dealer made the vehicle ready for re-sale. If you are open to non CPO, you dont have to make snap decision.

Salim
Old 11-23-17, 04:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Volvos are nice as I had one sometime ago and kept it for a loooooong time. It required TLC a lot.

The Infinity QX80 are nice too. But considered second/third tier compared to Lexus (haha, this IS a Lexus forum, right?).

An interesting test/experiment for you to do is the following (takes about 45 minutes and I would go ride in the car during their test drive and when they "check out" the car in it's garage by their techs as a few years ago their tech opened the oil fill cap with the engine running and oil gushed out all over the engine!!!):

After your RXh is all fixed..........go to a CarMax near you and see how much they'll give you. Usually if it is like 30 to 60 days post the accident, it may not have made it to the the CarFax yet (not that you are going to lie or anything like that, it's an experiment, remember). They usually have someone who is an expert at picking out if any body work had been done. Don't get too upset at the low figures they'll give you bc they are in the business of making money from you and whomever buys it.

Good feedback. Thanks folks.

I am looking to see what's available within a decent travel distance, and there are some, but the only ones I would potentially be interested in are all ... ALL black, and that's not my preferred color. Anyway, I'm just feeling around in the market and suspect that after Christmas might be a better time to make the jump, IF I do!

I'm certainly willing to give the body shop a chance to do right, and really do not relish the idea of another used car purchase effort, nor the outlay of additional cash right now.

As for the replacement vehicle, if/when we do make the change... I intend for it to be another RXh! My wife just told me this morning, too, that even though the rental Ford Escape we ended up with is better than the Corolla they started us out with, it's still "like driving a tin can"! Her appreciation for the RXh is increased beyond where it had already grown to, and I think I would have a small battle trying to get her into something different.

SIDE NOTE, OFF TOPIC: I've had a XC60 and QX80 this month in two different business rentals, and they were both really, really nice. I was severely impressed with the QX80, but it's really too large for our needs, even though the ride and comfort in it were well beyond what I have in the RXh. As for the XC60, as disturbing as the Auto Start/Stop was, the dash and controls were as intuitively well-appointed as anything I've ever seen in another vehicle, and it's responsive turbo 6-cylinder made it quite fun to drive. Regardless, purchasing a new vehicle (dealer new, as in 2017/18) falls outside of my vehicle purchasing philosophy. Depending on how Lexus moves forward, I might be willing to consider another brand some 3-5 years down the road, but not yet!
Old 11-24-17, 04:58 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm going to agree with the people that said wait until the job is done, then see how you feel. Your RX is eight years old, and there are new safety features, called Safety Sense by Toyota, that you may love in your replacement car. Forward looking radar cruise control and lane departure assist come to mind. I have these on my 2016 Avalon Limited, and I love the entire safety package. Good Luck.
Ray A.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my RXh...