RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Another 60k Recommended Service thread (dont shoot me)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 07:00 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
Wink Another 60k Recommended Service thread (dont shoot me)

I just took the wife's RX for a 60k oil change (I did the filters and brake fluid change). The dealer recommends a "TOP ENGINE CLEANING". What exactly does this entails? Is this a fuel injector cleaning? If so I can DIY instead of dropping $130.
Also it was advised to have a front wheel alignment done, which is definitely needed.
Old 11-27-17, 08:42 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,154 Likes on 985 Posts

Maybe. Their cost is average for a dealer. See if it includes throttle body cleaning and gas tank additive.

The procedure cleans the carbon and deposits out of the intake system and engine top end, such as intake valves and piston tops. Usually they introduce a cleaning product through a vacuum line near the throttle body or sometimes through a fuel line to flow a concentrated cleaning mix into the engine for 15 to 30 minutes and dissolve the deposits. Usually they also will put some fuel system cleaner in the gas tank and maybe spray clean the throttle body. You can buy a kit to do it at home, but the cost is about half of what the dealer is charging. Many argue about the benefits of these procedures and some claim they just provide big profit to the dealer. However I have felt that cars with over 50,000 miles do benefit from it as they all seem to have deposits which can cause rougher idle, harder starting and worse mileage. On my cars they seem to be smoother and start easier afterward.

Deposit build up is a especially a big issue for direct injection cars (not the RX) which do not get any intake valve cleaning from the fuel as none flows over the intake valves.

I have my own fuel induction machine but got it years ago after having it done at my local repair shop. I found the exact one they used which looked like a hospital IV drip with a bleed valve to control the air and liquid flow rate. It goes in through a vacuum line.
The following users liked this post:
vlad_a (11-30-17)
Old 11-27-17, 10:30 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not one to recommend extra service not included in the manual BUT my gen 1 had issues with dirty throttle body after 100K miles. So, I did the throttle body cleaning at around 120K miles and another one at 240K miles. YMMV.
Old 11-27-17, 01:25 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Top Engine Cleaning - Is that External or Internal?
Old 11-27-17, 02:21 PM
Clutchless

Internal. https://westautomotivegroup.com/fuel...p-gas-mileage/

Usually only of benefit at higher mileage if you notice a drop in performance. As the link states, many dealers oversell it to increase profits.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-27-17 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-27-17, 05:08 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
I just took the wife's RX for a 60k oil change (I did the filters and brake fluid change). The dealer recommends a "TOP ENGINE CLEANING". What exactly does this entails? Is this a fuel injector cleaning? If so I can DIY instead of dropping $130.
Also it was advised to have a front wheel alignment done, which is definitely needed.
After 60,000 miles I came across a product line that may be of interest to you. Since I also have an Audi 2.0 TFSI and Volkswagen 1.8T, I need special 502, 505 oil and I have been researching the Liqui Moly brand of products.

For the notorious “dry start’ noise, characteristic of my 450h , I have been using the Liqui Moly product “2009 Anti-friction treatment”. I wanted to first test the product before revealing my results. The start noise appears to have disappeared.

I also purchased and will be using the following products:
LM Jectron gasoline fuel injection cleaner
LM 2037 Pro-line Engine Flush
LM 2208 0w-20 Special Tec Motor Oil, Synthetic

Eventually I willl be switching from Mobil One Synthetic to Liqu Moly with in the next 2000 miles.

Note: I am not compensated by Liqui Moly and sugggest you research these products on your own with others products before trying.
Old 11-28-17, 01:08 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Gampa
After 60,000 miles I came across a product line that may be of interest to you. Since I also have an Audi 2.0 TFSI and Volkswagen 1.8T, I need special 502, 505 oil and I have been researching the Liqui Moly brand of products.
For the notorious “dry start’ noise, characteristic of my 450h , I have been using the Liqui Moly product “2009 Anti-friction treatment”. I wanted to first test the product before revealing my results. The start noise appears to have disappeared.
I also purchased and will be using the following products:
LM Jectron gasoline fuel injection cleaner
LM 2037 Pro-line Engine Flush
LM 2208 0w-20 Special Tec Motor Oil, Synthetic
Eventually I willl be switching from Mobil One Synthetic to Liqu Moly with in the next 2000 miles.
Note: I am not compensated by Liqui Moly and sugggest you research these products on your own with others products before trying.
Liqui Moli are OUTSTANDING products! Have used them on my MB for years. Use them on my wife's Subary OutBack and as soon as out of warranty will be using them on my RX350. This is greatly underated brand.
Old 11-30-17, 10:02 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Liqui Moli are OUTSTANDING products! Have used them on my MB for years. Use them on my wife's Subary OutBack and as soon as out of warranty will be using them on my RX350. This is greatly underated brand.
do you have data on mpg improvement or oil analysis after using liquimoly? Or perhaps something like a dyno test on youtube?
Old 11-30-17, 10:41 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
do you have data on mpg improvement or oil analysis after using liquimoly? Or perhaps something like a dyno test on youtube?
Not likely!! The only dyno test is likely to be the "butt-dyno". Meaning "I feel it in my butt, so it must be true". This is what make these forums so much fun.
Old 11-30-17, 12:32 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I don't know about mpg improvements, don't believe in ANY of them, today's engines squeeze every mile possible out of a gallon of gas. I was referring in particular to their lubricating products. This brand is not well known here, but it is very well known in Europe and although they don't refine the oil, they do make all of the additives that make the oil last & lubricate for a long time under different conditions, that's how they made their reputation. I'm sure that the results are there somewhere probably on their website. I too, like many, follow recommendations and tests when available, but also the way an engine runs can tell you a lot. I don't bother with oil-tests & ppm as they do not matter in the time-span that the engine will operate, I just made a comment based on my experience on a product not well known.

Last edited by Cocal; 12-01-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 02:24 PM
Clutchless

I you want to research LiquiMoly and maybe find some VOA or UOA reports, visit www.bobistheoilguy.com and visit the European oil forum and the forums on oil analysis. That is where the petroleum engineers, gearheads and obsessive maintenance types hang out. I have been a member for years.
With some searching I am sure you will find many opinions and maybe some data.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-30-17 at 02:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 06:29 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I you want to research LiquiMoly and maybe find some VOA or UOA reports, visit www.bobistheoilguy.com and visit the European oil forum and the forums on oil analysis. That is where the petroleum engineers, gearheads and obsessive maintenance types hang out. I have been a member for years.
With some searching I am sure you will find many opinions and maybe some data.
BITOG is a very interesting site! There is a lot of useful information IF you can sift the knowledgeable people from those that make a sport of buying the cheapest oil rather than the best. I'm a member there too and sometimes it makes me wonder about the cognitive power of people