RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Looking to get into an RX for the family!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 09:48 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking to get into an RX for the family!

So the wife really likes how the RX looks inside and out. I have convinced her to at least get a 2013 model seeing as it has a few upgrades from the previous 2012 models, and we plan to keep this in the family for a longer time. That being said, i personally like how the F Sport models look of course, but after reading reviews, such as from edmunds, stating that the F Sport models ride harsher and feel worse without any improvement for handling, and that it stops in 131 feet compared to the non F sport which stops in 114 feet, it makes me think twice about getting it.
So here i am, and hoping you guys can chime in on this and correct me if i'm wrong from what i've been reading up online about it. At this point i'd rather get the non F sport as it will be for a family cruiser, i just personally like the front end and rims better on the F Sport.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 01-04-18, 12:31 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

We test drove all variants of the 2013 RX's before selecting the 2013 RX450h as the FINALISTS.

The RX450h has 19 inch wheels and a different front end vs regular RX350. Suspension is tighter and firmer. We felt the RX 350 F SPORT and non F SPORT we're too floaty and too light feeling.

TRY out the 2013 RX450h or newer......I think you'll like it.

Originally Posted by ISFLexy
So the wife really likes how the RX looks inside and out. I have convinced her to at least get a 2013 model seeing as it has a few upgrades from the previous 2012 models, and we plan to keep this in the family for a longer time. That being said, i personally like how the F Sport models look of course, but after reading reviews, such as from edmunds, stating that the F Sport models ride harsher and feel worse without any improvement for handling, and that it stops in 131 feet compared to the non F sport which stops in 114 feet, it makes me think twice about getting it.
So here i am, and hoping you guys can chime in on this and correct me if i'm wrong from what i've been reading up online about it. At this point i'd rather get the non F sport as it will be for a family cruiser, i just personally like the front end and rims better on the F Sport.

Thanks in Advance!
The following users liked this post:
stealthh (01-12-18)
Old 01-04-18, 09:58 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

We got an 2013 F sport in June , and don't find the ride bad at all

since you buying used , it would at the newest with the lest amount KM on it

in Ontario there will not be to many used FSports out ther
Old 01-04-18, 10:43 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

If it is going to be long term family vehicle, I'd try to find 2015 one which is last year of last generation. To me F sport is name sake, not real sports car. I can drive Audi SQ5 with 21 in. wheels, BMW M3, Mercedes B class sports tourer. in the family. I notice vehicle prices are better over there in Ontario compared to over here in Alberta. Good luck for finding a nice RX. . If taken care of well, it'll go 250K miles easy.

Last edited by Htony; 01-04-18 at 11:19 AM.
stealthh (01-12-18)
Old 01-04-18, 01:46 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd also suggest test driving to compare and see which you prefer versus just relying on photos and reading. We also prefer the way the 450h handles and rides (and accelerates) but YMMV.

Originally Posted by Htony
If it is going to be long term family vehicle, I'd try to find 2015 one which is last year of last generation. To me F sport is name sake, not real sports car. I can drive Audi SQ5 with 21 in. wheels, BMW M3, Mercedes B class sports tourer. in the family.
We purchased our 2015 in September last year and it was L/Certified which I would also recommend if that fits the OP's budget.

F Sport is definitely just an appearance package and no Lexus RX is going to be a sports car.

Last edited by takeshi74; 01-04-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 02:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Does the RX350 come in AWD with the Sport Appearance package in Canada? If so, that could be a good choice for you. I believe it's only available on FWD models here (could be wrong), but it gives you the F Sport front bumper, which looks nice. You won't get the F Sport transmission or suspension, but it may be a good compromise.

The RX450h is a good idea too. It's a lot heavier than the 350, which definitely changes how it handles, but it has a very nice ride as well.
Old 01-05-18, 03:10 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Thanks very much for all your replies guys, greatly appreciate it!

We are going to see the RX tomorrow and take it for a spin, see how it drives, etc. I believe all RX's sold here come with AWD as standard, regardless if you get base or F Sport model.

This one we are going to look at has around 90kms, 2013, f sport so has navi package, etc, clean no accidents asking for $28gs (cdn). This seems like a pretty good deal if it looks super clean as they state i would think...right? lol according to autotrader the price is "Great".
Old 01-06-18, 04:41 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

We are going to see the RX tomorrow and take it for a spin, see how it drives, etc. I believe all RX's sold here come with AWD as standard, regardless if you get base or F Sport model.

This one we are going to look at has around 90kms, 2013, f sport so has navi package, etc, clean no accidents asking for $28gs (cdn). This seems like a pretty good deal if it looks super clean as they state i would think...right? lol according to autotrader the price is "Great".
Nice! Just to give some numbers , in June I paid $33,000 for a CPO F sport with 65kms , they had it listed at $37gs it was at Lakeridge in Ajax
Old 01-06-18, 06:16 AM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Airbalance
Nice! Just to give some numbers , in June I paid $33,000 for a CPO F sport with 65kms , they had it listed at $37gs it was at Lakeridge in Ajax
Wow how did you get them to drop the price by $4,000?! Most dealerships I dealt with barely lower the price by $500 on a $30,000 car! If you have a secret weapon I'd love to know this!Also, newbie question but what does CPO mean exactly?
Old 01-06-18, 07:38 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

How big a family?
I have 11 RX350 side by side with 12 Highlander limited in garage, as I type.
Highlander is 3rd row 7 seater.
Utility wise, it will beat RX hands down. Even driver area comfort. RX is too small inside, too crammed, not enough cargo space.
Unfortunately, I am down to earth pragmatic and do not buy cars based on looks. When I bought my Highlander, that was the last thing I cared about, I just walked around outside, checking for any damages. Otherwise, powerplant wise, they are very similar cars. Mayve Lexus has a bit more power, but do I race or care? But I literally used my Highlander as a truck for 6 months, 12ft long pieces of lumber inside including. No RX in the world will do that.
So if it's family vehicle - spacious, practical, with room for expansion inside - Highlander. If it looks - RX.
stealthh (01-12-18)
Old 01-06-18, 07:41 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Just make sure all applicable scheduled service is completed on the vehicle at that mileage 90K Kms is roughly 60K miles.
Old 01-06-18, 10:18 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Wow how did you get them to drop the price by $4,000?! Most dealerships I dealt with barely lower the price by $500 on a $30,000 car! If you have a secret weapon I'd love to know this!Also, newbie question but what does CPO mean exactly?
New dealer, and they were not busy ,
CPO
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/automobiles/pre-owned
Old 01-06-18, 10:24 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
How big a family?
I have 11 RX350 side by side with 12 Highlander limited in garage, as I type.
Highlander is 3rd row 7 seater.
Utility wise, it will beat RX hands down. Even driver area comfort. RX is too small inside, too crammed, not enough cargo space.
Unfortunately, I am down to earth pragmatic and do not buy cars based on looks. When I bought my Highlander, that was the last thing I cared about, I just walked around outside, checking for any damages. Otherwise, powerplant wise, they are very similar cars. Mayve Lexus has a bit more power, but do I race or care? But I literally used my Highlander as a truck for 6 months, 12ft long pieces of lumber inside including. No RX in the world will do that.
So if it's family vehicle - spacious, practical, with room for expansion inside - Highlander. If it looks - RX.
In Ont a used HL is worth about the same as RX , once they are about 4-5 years old For the $33gs , I could of got a base '14 HL with more miles ,
Old 01-06-18, 10:55 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Airbalance;10073681]
CPO
[/QUOTE

Did you go through the CPO vehicle inspection check list? For an xample did you check how much is left on brake pads? Did you get a copy of official Lexus CPO certificate(yellow paper) with list of things covered during the extended warranty period? CPO is worth ~2K in Canada. And again did you check the history of service on the vehicle, are they up-to-date? Checked Carfax on that vehicle? So many things to check and go through....All was OK on test drive? Is summer tires on the vehicle? It should have summer tires because brand new car always comes with summer tires. If it had winter tires, they should give you a set of summer tires. And 2 Key fobs. Owner's manual in the glove box? Spare tire and tire tools in the storage?
stealthh (01-12-18)
Old 01-06-18, 11:29 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Htony;10073746]
Originally Posted by Airbalance
CPO
[/QUOTE

Did you go through the CPO vehicle inspection check list? For an xample did you check how much is left on brake pads? Did you get a copy of official Lexus CPO certificate(yellow paper) with list of things covered during the extended warranty period? CPO is worth ~2K in Canada. And again did you check the history of service on the vehicle, are they up-to-date? Checked Carfax on that vehicle? So many things to check and go through....All was OK on test drive? Is summer tires on the vehicle? It should have summer tires because brand new car always comes with summer tires. If it had winter tires, they should give you a set of summer tires. And 2 Key fobs. Owner's manual in the glove box? Spare tire and tire tools in the storage?
Everything was checked over Did not get a credit card fob, but they said it did not come with one We also got the nav upgrade , because of a minor screw up 2 year 40,000 km power train warranty and 2 years of road side service

Quick Reply: Looking to get into an RX for the family!