RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Recommendations for alternatives to RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 08:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Get a new RAV4 with everything on it. Better looking than the NX, cheaper and has about all the same stuff in the Limited or Platinum models. It is under $30,000 with skilled negotiating. I have been in one, and you may be surprised at the finish and features. Same engines etc as the NX. Plus it has the Toyota Safety Suite (active cruise control, pre-collision alert & braking, lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, parking assist, etc etc), which none of the used cars you are considering will have.
https://www.toyota.com/rav4/2018/features/mpg/4452
I too really like the RAV4 and think it's a solid suggestion, but one correction to the above is that the RAV4 and NX only share hybrid engines. The regular/base engines are not the same. The NX uses the 2.0 turbo 4 while the RAV4 uses a 2.5L 4 cylinder.

Originally Posted by Gampa
A 2018 Audi Q5 Premium, Premium Plus, or Prestige is my replacement... yes it would be new, but you would know of any abuse or neglect... and it would be cover under new car warranty for any problems. I Bought my wife the Prestige with most of the bells and whistles because the Lexus IS250 was too small with two child seats. I am looking to replace my 2010 RX450h some day. (My problem is I take too good of care to my current ones).
I Currently have Pirelli Scorpion Winters on the Q5 and it is a Beast in the snow. Best AWD I have ever driven.
The best part is that there is a calming factor knowing my wife is driving it. The car looks like a SUV but rides like the IS250 sports car.
...and besides, my wife deserves the best.
Another vote for the Q5. We looked at them back when we were in the market. The interior was too small for us, which was one of the reasons we went with the RX, but overall we really liked it. We later traded our RX in for a Highlander, but that does not sound like a route you are interested in.
Old 01-19-18, 08:59 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Hmm, we will definitely have to test drive a Q5. I really liked the Jag F-Pace, it really stood out on the test drive, am just wary of its long-term reliability. Audi reliability has greatly improved. Thank you for the help and suggestions, everyone.
Old 01-19-18, 07:01 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
What other models have you cross-shopped or considered with the RX? Did you go with the RX overall due to reliability?
Q5. Went with RX for not only reliability but cost of ownership. Audi may have improved in the former but they're still nowhere near Lexus. We intend to keep our vehicle long term and there's no way we would own an Audi out of warranty -- though we do have a 981 out of warranty. We don't have any such concerns with Lexus.

We'd love a Macan or Cayenne but they're way out of our budget with the way we would want them configured.

Of course the Cayenne handled phenomenally, but it is more of a weekend toy to me than a daily driver.
Guess it depends on perspective. Even our 981 is a daily.

Last edited by takeshi74; 01-19-18 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-20-18, 10:44 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

2015 rx450h.
Old 01-20-18, 01:23 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Go to a CarMax if you can. They have a slew of everything available for you to sit in and test drive. I went on a Tuesday and spent hours there.

If you like reliability, I don't feel like any of the European brands will do you good. The Q5 was a great suggestion but even if it's CPO, based on your other cars, I feel you'll want to keep it past the warranty. And that could be a bad idea.

I know you've said you don't want to downgrade back to Toyota. However, the 2008-2013 Highlander Limiteds I drove felt like superior vehicles to me, compared to our 2010 RX. They are missing a few things like Comfort access and electric dimming mirrors, but they felt every bit as refined (maybe even more so in ride and exhaust noise), and with equal levels of interior materials quality. They are also available with and without the 3rd row seat, so you have options. If I had to do it over, I would shop those very hard against another RX.

My other real standout favorite when doing test drives was the 2013+ RDX. Honda's will always be a bit noisier and rougher than ToyoLex, but it felt fantastic to drive. Fast and responsive, very car like, made fun engine noises, and Japanese reliability to boot. Don't know how far up there those rank on your list, but there's no reason not to try one. 2016+ models are also available with radar cruise, auto emergency braking, etc. Caveat, I have heard inklings that they burn some oil when they get up there in mileage, due to the Variable Cylinder Deactivation. But I think overall it is a solid package, not quite as large as the RX in the second row but roomy in the front seat area.
Old 01-22-18, 05:56 AM
MacCat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like that NX model at all.
It looks like the RX 350 scaled down.
After driving the RX350 (2010 model) for years, I was shocked
at the differences I noticed right away.
The NX is noisy, to start with. The muffler has a "tinny" sound,
which reminded me of the Avalon.
It maneuvers the same, but the ride is bump and rough.
It parks easily enough, and that's when I noticed how much smaller it is.
It fits in my garage, where the RX350 fills it up!

Inside the NX is cramped.

Similarly, the RX 400 was a beast. Easy to drive, but too tall for many parking garage !
Watch out. Too many people have hit their own garage doors (guilty).

I think the RX 350 is the perfect SUV. It's heavy on the road, it's sporty and nimble,
and it has been trouble free through 95,000 miles (only changed the battery and tires).

The new RX350's (2016+) have freakish shark styling that I don't like - to many pointy parts.
The windows were scaled down too small and if you like driving with your left elbow on the window sill,
forget it - that window sill is at shoulder height! And, what's with smaller windows ?

The dumbest thing on the Lexus is the Navigation system. It's terrible and now it's even worse.
The new layout doesn't have the map scale button I use a lot while I'm driving. The screen
still is too small and dashboard suffers from glare in the Texas sun.

The redesign was in the wrong direction (reminds me of mistakes Volvo made).
When I buy another Lexus, it will be a used 2015 model.
Old 01-22-18, 10:37 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP,
one last suggestion... Pay close attention to size and manufacture of tire. Driving on Michelin’s premier with 18 inch wheels will get less road noise then 20 or 21 inch wheels with Conti Contacts... IMO.
Old 01-24-18, 02:22 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, Gampa. A Q5 may work.
The new 2018 Q5 is a 1st year production assembled in Mexico. Prior to 2018 they were made in Germany.
I personally would avoid 1st year model run esp. one built in Mexico. The engine is made in Mexico too and they use relatively new 7speed double clutch transmission.
too many things that may go wrong in a long run.
my 2p
Old 01-27-18, 08:07 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

One word....Subaru.
Old 01-27-18, 08:11 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 202 Posts

Highlander. We have RX350 and 12 Highlander. Highlander is hands down better car. Unless you must have nameplate and some fancy gadgets.
Old 01-29-18, 11:59 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Volvo XC60.
Old 01-30-18, 07:42 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I've had a Volvo before. Not the most reliable.

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Volvo XC60.
Old 01-30-18, 08:11 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I do like some things about the Subaru Outback and a Volvo XC60 or new V90 is enticing too. Great suggestions. The Volvo reliability would be a little worrisome. With the popularity of crossovers I just thought there would be more standout choices. It seems some very appealing crossovers are severely lacking in reliability (F-Pace, Q5), and the reliable ones are boring (RX). Perhaps I'm being too picky. I do appreciate everyone's contributions. Thank you.
Old 01-30-18, 08:45 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have nothing against Volvos, except its subpar reliability.

Just make sure you have that warranty (extended too, if you keep it beyond the original OEM warranty) in hand PLUS EXTRA TIME NEEDED TO DEAL WITH THE DEALERSHIP TO SORT IT OUT!!

I do like some things about the Subaru Outback and a Volvo XC60 or new V90 is enticing too. Great suggestions. The Volvo reliability would be a little worrisome. With the popularity of crossovers I just thought there would be more standout choices. It seems some very appealing crossovers are severely lacking in reliability (F-Pace, Q5), and the reliable ones are boring (RX). Perhaps I'm being too picky. I do appreciate everyone's contributions. Thank you.
Old 01-30-18, 08:49 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I've had a Volvo before. Not the most reliable.
Anyone who recommends buying a volvo to someone else must be their enemy. The volvo brand, in general is among the lowest rated premium brands on the market. Initial quality is low, repair rates are higher than average, and long-term dependability is very poor. Yes, I know, Volvo defenders will pop up on here, saying what a great car it is. That is why buyers who are going to shell out money for premium badges need to RESEARCH!! Don't rely on what a one person says, including me. Do your own research.
The following users liked this post:
RedRover (03-08-19)

Quick Reply: Recommendations for alternatives to RX?