RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX Throttle Body Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 08:06 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bravo
So, let me see if I understand you correctly, and please be patient with me, as I am kinda slow. Are you saying that the EGR system does not recirculate unburned gasses, including fuel, through the intake? I am really surprised, as I thought the entire purpose of the EGR was to recycle unburned fuel particles and other emissions through the intake to be burned again, in order to reduce pollution.

Again, I am kinda slow, so help me out here...if the unburned gasses ARE recycled through the intake (throttle body), would they not contain fuel, carbon, and other particles? If not, how in the world would a TB every get carbon build up, if not for the EGR? And, if that is how the TB does get carbon buildup, would it not be wise to use the cleanest possible fuel to reduce unburned particles passing through the TB? Now, if that is correct. would it not also follow that Top Tier fuels, which are so classed because they far exceed the minimal standard for added cleansers, should be used to help prevent unburned particles from passing through the TB?

Again, I am an old man, and kinda slow, but I sure thought that is the way it worked.
Your understanding is correct about the fuel re-entering the intake. But is it the fuel that you pumped in? If you had used the non Top Tier fuel, would it be any different. All I can say is that you will get oil fumes + air + evaporated-un-burnt-fuel. The percentage of the fuel you pumped in, in the vapors is going to be very small.

In my opinion what you see in the TB is a distant reason to use top-tier gasoline. Actual fuel path and combustion are the prime reasons.

Salim
Old 02-16-18, 08:11 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bravo
So, let me see if I understand you correctly, and please be patient with me, as I am kinda slow. Are you saying that the EGR system does not recirculate unburned gasses, including fuel, through the intake? I am really surprised, as I thought the entire purpose of the EGR was to recycle unburned fuel particles and other emissions through the intake to be burned again, in order to reduce pollution.

Again, I am kinda slow, so help me out here...if the unburned gasses ARE recycled through the intake (throttle body), would they not contain fuel, carbon, and other particles? If not, how in the world would a TB every get carbon build up, if not for the EGR? And, if that is how the TB does get carbon buildup, would it not be wise to use the cleanest possible fuel to reduce unburned particles passing through the TB? Now, if that is correct. would it not also follow that Top Tier fuels, which are so classed because they far exceed the minimal standard for added cleansers, should be used to help prevent unburned particles from passing through the TB?

Again, I am an old man, and kinda slow, but I sure thought that is the way it worked.
EGR principles work exactly the opposite of what you describe. Instead of recirculating unburned fuel (which would increase combustion temps), it recirculates exhaust gas. If all your emissions equipment is working properly, your spent exhaust gas should be mostly inert. When recirculated, it should lead to a dilution of the incoming combustible air, serving to lower internal combustion temperatures and thereby reduce NOx generation (which increases at higher combustion temps and contributes greatly to the visible "smog" you see in many cities).

The carbon buildup you see on a throttle plate is from the PCV valve. The PCV valve ventilates the crankcase, in case the high combustion pressures slip by the piston rings. If the crankcase is not properly ventilated, you see issues with leaks from seals (particularly the rear main seal, if the PCV valve sticks shut), and excessive oil consumption (if the PCV sticks open). Even when the PCV valve operates normally, you will pull some crankcase oil vapors through into the intake, where it will drop out and deposit on colder surfaces like the throttle plate.

Does the soot from EGR contribute to carbon buildup? Yes, but it is dry soot. It should easily wipe off, just like on your exhaust pipe. Furthermore, these engines are not direct injection and should not have a lot of soot generation. The problem truly comes from the "wet" oil vapors from the PCV, which serves to capture the soot and turn it into hard buildup as it heat cycles.
Old 02-16-18, 08:17 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I am certainly glad I have a better understanding of that. Thank you for your thorough and patient explanation. I was apparently confused as to the travel path of EGR vs. PVC. For the record, that is not the reason I use TT fuels, though I did believe it might help keep the throttle body cleaner. I will no longer misinform the internet users of the world.
Old 02-17-18, 05:32 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
EGR... recirculates exhaust gas. If all your emissions equipment is working properly, your spent exhaust gas should be mostly inert. ...
I love and support your giant explanation, but there is unburned fuel in exhaust, period. I believe (willing to be proven wrong) that the exhaust for EGR is taken upstream of the catalytic converters, plus laboratory combustion isn't even perfect and it's a long way from that in a consumer vehicle so there should be "a fair bit" of unburned fuel.
Now, does that mean all the #VTechronTierTopPowerPlus gimmick nonsense works? I doubt it. But... If there's some Magic Sauce in the fuel, it could certainly still be present in that area.
Old 02-17-18, 05:42 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
I love and support your giant explanation, but there is unburned fuel in exhaust, period. I believe (willing to be proven wrong) that the exhaust for EGR is taken upstream of the catalytic converters, plus laboratory combustion isn't even perfect and it's a long way from that in a consumer vehicle so there should be "a fair bit" of unburned fuel.
Now, does that mean all the #VTechronTierTopPowerPlus gimmick nonsense works? I doubt it. But... If there's some Magic Sauce in the fuel, it could certainly still be present in that area.
If there were significant amounts of unburned fuel in the exhaust, the premise of EGR (to cool combustion temps by providing inert gas as filler material) wouldn't work. Like you said nothing is perfect, but there is definitely not enough fuel in EGR to be cleaning throttle bodies and intake manifolds...that has to hold true for EGR to work.
Old 02-19-18, 09:58 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

so....... should I clean the TB or not periodically? Also what should I do with my PCV value? Should I replace that once in a while also?
Old 02-19-18, 10:57 PM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
so....... should I clean the TB or not periodically? Also what should I do with my PCV value? Should I replace that once in a while also?
I dont have the service manual, but I would extensively check the vacuum hoses at 120K miles and replace the PCV at that time. By this time valve cover gaskets would need replacement too [good old Toyota/Lexus]. Replace vacuum hoses at 240k.

I expect idling issues around 70-90k and would do the TB cleaning when I clean IACV, not before.

Salim