RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need Advice on Buying Another RX Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18 | 03:59 PM
salimshah

What sets Lexus in its unique place is the not just the Luxury or the performance, it is the total ownership experience.

Salim
Old 02-21-18 | 05:48 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Not a fair comparison GX vs RX. GX is truck frame based vs RX which is unibody based. Also GX has a larger engine and all wheel drive.

A more fair comparison would be GX vs LX. Or NX vs RX. Even then not a totally fair comparison either due to differences in size/weight/cost/engine, and etc.

Try a RX450h.......very refined, quite and feels a lot more "planted" vs a regular RX350. RX450h, even in all wheel drive variant, will not be as capable in the "rock climbing/snow/mud" department compared to the GX/LX.

Originally Posted by Luap
Again , funny , I too , have a 2008 Gx470 that does everything better than my 2015 Rx

Sold my 2014 Infiniti QX50 that did sport luxury much much better than my Rx does luxury .

I will be in Phx area this weekend , hope to drive a Lincoln MKX and MKC , test show they are more luxury oriented , I mean "quite" and better ride
Old 02-21-18 | 07:06 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Interesting that some folks feel that their Gen 3 RXs aren't "luxury" cars. A few weeks ago we bought a used 2015 RX with most of the option packages (everything but the ML system) & 28K miles. The first thing I noticed was how amazingly quiet it was--compared to the 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum we had just sold. I mean really MUCH quieter than the Highlander. Plus, everything seems to be more comfortable and works better (like the transmission). Even though our Highlander was top-of-the-line for Highlanders, the RX beats it in every regard. This is our second RX (first was a 2010) and it seems to us that Lexus really improved the vehicle in 5 years. We're pleased with it for sure.

Agree that comparing an RX to a GX is the same as comparing apples to oranges. They are totally different vehicles. Same with comparing an RX to an LX. If you want to compare the RX to something, it needs to be compared to other crossovers from the high-end manufacturers, like Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Volvo, etc. The RX is a unique vehicle in the Lexus lineup and can't be compared to other unique Lexus models.

OTOH, if you're not happy--no reason to suffer--just send it down the road & get something else.

Last edited by RickC5; 02-21-18 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-21-18 | 10:47 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

All this talk about the Gen 2 RX got me somewhat excited and I resorted to looking at Car Max inventory. I am finding a couple of OK deals with every single option (except air suspension which was super rare) that were available on the 350 and 400h cars from 2008. Interestingly, I cannot find any 2009 400h's out there.

Some key differences from Gen 2 to Gen 3.
- Gen 2 hybrid cars electric steering but ICE cars had hydraulic power steering whereas Gen 3 had crappy electric steering - this also means that you have to turkey baster out the fluid once in a while on Gen 2's.

- Gen 2 (late model years) had 18 inch wheels where as Gen 3 had 18's and 19's available. Tire width were the same 235's.

- Gen 2 had softer ride - this is my preference but this varies by person

- 400h had worse mpg than 450h. Seems 0 to 60 times are about the same for both as there is plenty of torque on both cars.

- Referring to hybrids - Gen 2 required oil changes at 5K miles interval while Gen 3 requires 10K internal. yet. they both recommend 0-20 oil. I guess the new engine is magic elixir coated surface that resist wear and tear? or did Toyota lawyers feel that modern oils are good for 10K internals

- Gen 3 does not require timing belt change - cost savings

- Gen 2 uses touch screen. Gen 3 has the dreaded joy stick type mechnism. Let me not get started on that dreaded thing.....

- Gen 2 had issues with water vapor forming inside the headlight lens but Lexus eventually extended the warranty to cover that issue. At least it had HID. Gen 3 has halogen from the 80's when Miami Vice was cool.

- Gen 2 stereo is almost top notch. Levinson sounded really top notch. Gen 3 stereo is just average. Gen 3 Levinson is above average. I know...... I tore mine apart and witnessed the paper cones and tiny magnets.

- Gen 2 had heated seats but no seat ventilation. Gen 3 has seat ventilation. I hate that ventilation fan sticking up at my **** but some people like it. it also has about 190 posts from people complaining about the seat comfort. Gen 2, on the other hand, has some complaints but not nearly as many posts.

- Gen 2 had higher wind noise. Gen 3's wind noise is more manageable.

- Gen 2 had a "b" mode for braking with engine. While Gen 3 had fake manual shifting to control how much you want to brake. (applies to hybrids only)

- Gen 3 has power folding mirrors

- Gen 2's stereo system had no aux input. and no ipod connection ability. I think no USB connection either. It did have a cassette deck. LOL.

**edited to add more things**

- Gen 2 didn't have parking sensors. Gen 3 has them but quite annoying. It did save my butt one time, for the record.

- Gen 3 has blind spot monitoring system which doesn't work very well. It should really be called blind spot plus 10 feet behind monitoring system.

- Gen 2 has an overhead sunglasses holder. Gen 3 has an SOS button there.

- Gen 3 has keyless entry and touch sensitive lock/unlock feature on the front door handles.

- Gen 3 has tire pressure monitoring system but Gen 2 has only the warning system.

Last edited by MellonC00; 02-23-18 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rosscoe83 (07-20-18)
Old 02-21-18 | 12:59 PM
salimshah

Few things from previous post.

Gen3 10k miles oil change is based on going synthetic. [my best guess]

Gen3 spans multiple years and the folding mirrors was offered in later years

Gen3 has a euro model and North America model and there are differences in them.

Salim
Old 02-21-18 | 08:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I would stay AWAY from the air suspension if I can help it. To me, air suspension means trouble down the road.

We have a 2013 RX450h and are very happy with it. We have the F Sport APPEARANCE Package and hence 19 inch rims/tires which cost more to replace vs 18 inch variant. But the whole car came like that with pretty much all options except for HUD. So it sat on the lot for a long time and the dealership had to discount it heavily in order to move it. We got a great deal and it drove very smoothly.....

Originally Posted by MellonC00
All this talk about the Gen 2 RX got me somewhat excited and I resorted to looking at Car Max inventory. I am finding a couple of OK deals with every single option (except air suspension which was super rare) that were available on the 350 and 400h cars from 2008. Interestingly, I cannot find any 2009 400h's out there.

Some key differences from Gen 2 to Gen 3.
- Gen 2 had hydraulic power steering whereas Gen 3 had crappy electric steering - this also means that you have to turkey baster out the fluid once in a while on Gen 2's.

- Gen 2 (late model years) had 18 inch wheels where as Gen 3 had 18's and 19's available. Tire width were the same 235's.

- Gen 2 had softer ride - this is my preference but this varies by person

- 400h had worse mpg than 450h. Seems 0 to 60 times are about the same for both as there is plenty of torque on both cars.

- Referring to hybrids - Gen 2 required oil changes at 5K miles interval while Gen 3 requires 10K internal. yet. they both recommend 0-20 oil. I guess the new engine is magic elixir coated surface that resist wear and tear? or did Toyota lawyers feel that modern oils are good for 10K internals

- Gen 3 does not require timing belt change - cost savings

- Gen 2 uses touch screen. Gen 3 has the dreaded joy stick type mechnism. Let me not get started on that dreaded thing.....

- Gen 2 had issues with water vapor forming inside the headlight lens but Lexus eventually extended the warranty to cover that issue. At least it had HID. Gen 3 has halogen from the 80's when Miami Vice was cool.

- Gen 2 stereo is almost top notch. Levinson sounded really top notch. Gen 3 stereo is just average. Gen 3 Levinson is above average. I know...... I tore mine apart and witnessed the paper cones and tiny magnets.

- Gen 2 had heated seats but no seat ventilation. Gen 3 has seat ventilation. I hate that ventilation fan sticking up at my **** but some people like it. it also has about 190 posts from people complaining about the seat comfort. Gen 2, on the other hand, has some complaints but not nearly as many posts.

- Gen 2 had higher wind noise. Gen 3's wind noise is more manageable.

- Gen 2 had a "b" mode for braking with engine. While Gen 3 had fake manual shifting to control how much you want to brake. (applies to hybrids only)

- Gen 3 has power folding mirrors

- Gen 2's stereo system had no aux input. and no ipod connection ability. I think no USB connection either. It did have a cassette deck. LOL.
Old 02-21-18 | 09:04 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

I made an error. The 400h from Gen 2 also had electric power steering. But the 350 ICE version had hydraulic steering. (I edited the post)
Old 02-24-18 | 06:53 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

1) Whatever you buy, do not buy one with air suspension as mentioned. My 2nd gen had the system and paid about C$1,200 for each of the two that I had to replace.
2) I'd recommend a 3rd gen CPO with 18 inch tires. 3rd gen seems to have fewer maintenance items, no timing belt to replace,for example.
3) Negotiate for them to include the update to the GPS.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying.

P.S. Also if you need it, get the dealer to add the tow hitch. I didn't negotiate for the GPS update but got the tow hitch though it wasn't the Lexus brand. The dealer saved C$300 between the Lexus brand vs. the aftermarket. Hitch works fine for my use for bike rack.

Last edited by lex_rx; 02-24-18 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-24-18 | 06:55 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Originally Posted by lex_rx
1) Whatever you buy, do not buy one with air suspension as mentioned. My 2nd gen had the system and paid about C$1,200 for each of the two that I had to replace.
2) I'd recommend a 3rd gen CPO with 18 inch tires. 3rd gen seems to have fewer maintenance items, no timing belt to replace,for example.
3) Negotiate for them to include the update to the GPS.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying.
The 07-09 second gen models use the same engine (so it also does not have a timing belt).
Old 02-24-18 | 07:18 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
The 07-09 second gen models use the same engine (so it also does not have a timing belt).
And I stand corrected. Stuck in my 2nd gen which was the 2004 model. Thanks.
Old 02-24-18 | 10:05 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Originally Posted by salimshah
Seems like what happened to me. In about 4 weeks will write my 1 year new to me ownership experience as I switched to 2011 RX450H.
We had an 08 400h that was totaled in an accident that we replaced with a 15 450h.

To us the 3rd gen does ride harsher and isn’t as quiet but it does seem to handle better though it’s still no sports car, of course. Build quality doesn't seem as good with squeaks and rattles that our 08 didn't have even after 10 years. Still, overall, we’re very happy with our 3rd gen.

As stated above, CPO won’t be an option for 2010 and older. Just have a good inspection done before buying anything.

Originally Posted by Gampa
You could think outside of the box at this time and look at a “new” SUV such as a fully loaded Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, or Nissan Rogue for about $35,000. This way you have full warranty with everything
A recent CPO RX can be done for $35K. Our 450h wasn't much more than that and it was L Certified.

Originally Posted by Luap
So , what is a luxury car , to me i'd shield me from noise , that's what I would want
Why didn't you buy such a vehicle? Did you not do any test driving?

Originally Posted by salimshah
Dont know we managed to drive without these all these years
Don’t know that we can only stick with only old features. Sure, I don't have to have ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, backup camera, HID’s and whatever else. I managed just fine without them for many years and prior vehicles but they're on my must have list these days. Heck, people drove just fine for many years without automatic transmissions, AC, electric starters, wipers and other features that you probably take for granted.

Last edited by takeshi74; 02-24-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-01-18 | 12:27 PM
Sniron
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Fascinating thread for me. I bought a 2015 RX 350 with everything but Nav. 19" wheels. My previous car was a 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium. I don't think there was anything available from VW that wasn't on it. It was one of the Diesel Gate models. Loved the car, but it had 3 years and 85,000 miles on it, and VW paid off the loan balance and wrote me a check for $13,500.00. Couldn't afford not to sell it back. I applied the money to the 2015 RX 350 CPO with 24,000 miles. This is actually the first luxury car I have ever owned. Have had many Ford products over the years. I couldn't be more pleased with the Lexus. Comfortable, quiet, smooth, just exudes quality from every pore. It is so quiet, sometime when I am reading or something I reach over and hit the start button turning the car off because I couldn't tell it was running. So, I am a bit puzzled by some of the comments with regard to noise, ride roughness, etc. Perhaps I am just too inexperienced with luxury vehicles to know that I really have a dog. So, rather than try to make a silk purse into a sow's ear, I believe I will just continue to live in blissful ignorance and believe I have the silk purse.
The following users liked this post:
rlkenny (06-14-18)
Old 03-01-18 | 12:51 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Sniron
Wow! Fascinating thread for me. I bought a 2015 RX 350 with everything but Nav. 19" wheels. My previous car was a 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium. I don't think there was anything available from VW that wasn't on it. It was one of the Diesel Gate models. Loved the car, but it had 3 years and 85,000 miles on it, and VW paid off the loan balance and wrote me a check for $13,500.00. Couldn't afford not to sell it back. I applied the money to the 2015 RX 350 CPO with 24,000 miles. This is actually the first luxury car I have ever owned. Have had many Ford products over the years. I couldn't be more pleased with the Lexus. Comfortable, quiet, smooth, just exudes quality from every pore. It is so quiet, sometime when I am reading or something I reach over and hit the start button turning the car off because I couldn't tell it was running. So, I am a bit puzzled by some of the comments with regard to noise, ride roughness, etc. Perhaps I am just too inexperienced with luxury vehicles to know that I really have a dog. So, rather than try to make a silk purse into a sow's ear, I believe I will just continue to live in blissful ignorance and believe I have the silk purse.
Thats crazy because although the RX is the wife's car, I turned in my 2013 TDI SE 6MT at 45 months and 75k miles, and bought a new 2017 TSI R-Line. We both feel the Passat is a hair more comfortable for long trips. The diesel engine wasn't so quiet but the gas engine is more serene than the RX. The TDI also rode way better and was quieter than the RX. I attribute it mostly to the 17" wheels because the gasser has 19" wheels and is slightly less refined. Both cars also had the V-Tex leatherette, it held up way better than the RX leather but obviously feels different.

Anyway, not that the 3RX is a bad car, but it feels only just a hair better than what I expect from a Highlander (and that was our experience when test driving cars as well). There seems to be significant variation between each individual 3RX as well in terms of exhaust drone. And I believe they did tweak the suspension on the later models. I would bet having the semi-aniline leather from the Luxury Package helps with many of the leather complaints also. So yours may truly be better than ours. As long as you like it, that's all that counts

Last edited by N4TECguy; 03-01-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-01-18 | 12:58 PM
Sniron
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
Thats crazy because although the RX is the wife's car, I turned in my 2013 TDI SE 6MT at 45 months and 75k miles, and bought a new 2017 TSI R-Line. We both feel the Passat is a hair more comfortable for long trips. The diesel engine wasn't so quiet but the gas engine is more serene than the RX. The TDI also rode way better and was quieter than the RX. I attribute it mostly to the 17" wheels because the gasser has 19" wheels and is slightly less refined. Both cars also had the V-Tex leatherette, it held up way better than the RX leather but obviously feels different.

Anyway, not that the 3RX is a bad car, but it feels only just a hair better than what I expect from a Highlander (and that was our experience when test driving cars as well). There seems to be significant variation between each individual 3RX as well in terms of exhaust drone. And I believe they did tweak the suspension on the later models. So yours may truly be better than ours. As long as you like it, that's all that counts
Yikes! Our Passat had the low profile tires, and the ride was quite rough compared to the RX. We took several long trips in the VW and it was comfortable. Also the one thing I really miss on the VW is the Fender audio system. That was absolutely the best auto audio system I have ever experienced. The RX feels like a low power monaural system by comparison, but all in all we really love the Lexus.
Old 03-01-18 | 03:02 PM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Been watching the replies here and thought I'd again try to explain my observations. I had rode in several Lexus mogels over the years and when I needed a "new to me" car ( I never buy new) I thought I'd try a Lexus. I wanted an RX but found a really nice 2005 GX at a great price so I bought it. I have had it now for almost 3 years and have been very impressed with the overall "Lexus experience" dealer service, ride, quality, and reliability, so much so that when I needed another car I knew it would be a Lexus and this time an RX. First, when I was looking at the 3X series I was a little more fussy with options and wants because of what features my GX has. I was a little surprised that there were so many packages available - I thought all Lexus came with pretty much everything like my GX. Second, after I found out what I had to look for I found some possibilities and test drove a half dozen both 2X and 3X, and as others have said it is hard to tell on a 20-30 minute test drive what the actual owner drive over long periods would be, and was surprised how tires seem to really affect the ride and noise. Thirdly, I thought going from a 2005 GX to a 2012 RX (7 years) should or would be. even better. What I found was the RX fit and finish is not as good as the 2005. Don't get me wrong the RX is still a really great car and my wife and I both enjoy it very much I just feel that maybe a 2008 or 2009 2X may have been a better choice - if you can find the right one. I've ridden in a lot of different cars and I'll say not much beats a Lexus - I'll probably never own another brand

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Buying Another RX Model