RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replace Steering Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-21 | 12:12 PM
mekmek
Driver School Candidate

Default rack and pinion

Hello fellow members,

a friend of mine that isn't much internet savvy, asked me to help him order a Rack and Pinion for his Lexus RX350 from 2013.
I signed up to the forum and here I am.

I found one that says:
2010 - 2014 Lexus RX350 Power Steering - With Electric Assist [EPS] - All Models

Should I go ahead and order it?
In the picture it has no tubing and nothing, I just want to make sure that these 2013 RX350 are all electric? Or do some come with hydraulic where the rack and pinion has all the tubes, depending on the trim level?

If anyone can pitch in, it'd be highly appreciated.
We are not from USA so, double checking to make sure i order the correct part.

Thanks a lot
Old 07-09-21 | 01:57 PM
Clutchless

It is electric. There are no hydraulic fluid tubes or hydraulic fluid. All are the same for those model years. Not sure if you are ordering OEM or aftermarket. You may be able to get a rebuilt one for less in the aftermarket.
You should do some searching here for more information on steering issues as some have had a click or play in the steering column that is annoying but harmless and has nothing to do with the rack.
You may want to look at this Toyota Highlander DIY forum as it is mechanically the same as the RX350 in the engine bay, steering, front suspension, brakes, transmission and steering and more of their members do their own car repairs.
​​​​​​https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...ations.264043/
Old 01-06-22 | 05:46 PM
NOVARX300
Rookie

Default Leaking boot over the Power Steering Rack

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It is electric. There are no hydraulic fluid tubes or hydraulic fluid. All are the same for those model years. Not sure if you are ordering OEM or aftermarket. You may be able to get a rebuilt one for less in the aftermarket.
You should do some searching here for more information on steering issues as some have had a click or play in the steering column that is annoying but harmless and has nothing to do with the rack.
You may want to look at this Toyota Highlander DIY forum as it is mechanically the same as the RX350 in the engine bay, steering, front suspension, brakes, transmission and steering and more of their members do their own car repairs.
​​​​​​https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...ations.264043/
My car failed inspection due to a leaking boot. I'm replacing the entire power steering rack, not just the boot, on my 2009 RX350 since I'm going to hold onto it for many more years.

Part of this post was in a strut replacement thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...acement-2.html
No one answered my last post so I'm hoping someone on this more appropriate thread (even though it's a 3rd generation RX350 forum) will provide some feedback - especially since the post I'm quoting refers to OEM and aftermarket parts for key power steering items.

Since:
a) I'm planning on driving my 2009 RX350 (less than 65k miles) for at least 5 years.
b) OEM Toyota parts may be preferred for anything power steering-related, brakes, electrical.
c) OEM Toyota parts are difficult to get now - delayed due to major supply line challenges.

Would you:
a) Replace the leaky boot, pass vehicle inspection, and wait for OEM parts for the best possible long-term solution. Estimate for future OEM job: $1,720
b) Replace now with aftermarket (manufactured by Atlantic) parts. Estimate: $1,620
c) Replace now with remanufactured no-name option. Estimate: $1,440

Old 01-07-22 | 06:35 AM
Clutchless

Replace the boot and save your money if there is nothing wrong with your steering rack. There is no reason to replace it if only the boot or boots are leaking. Then check the hoses etc.
Who knows what may happen in a few years vis a vis your vehicle or your intentions to keep it or invest that much money in it. Many other things can break in that time on a vehicle over 12 years old.

Are you in Northern VA? I suspect so based on your name. Maybe Fairfax County, (as I am) and if so, what shop are you using, and is it an independent?
Old 01-07-22 | 12:30 PM
RX in NC
Racer

I concur with just replacing the boot if the steering rack continues to function properly.
Old 01-07-22 | 12:43 PM
salimshah

We are discussing 2009 RX in 3rd gen forum.

I am surmised why the inspector failed your vehicle.

The boots are to keep the sliding rods free fro dust and not meant to seal the fluid. The seals can develop leak and the boots just hold it in as they provide dust protection (not open). The inspector may have determined you have a large enough leak that would impair steering.

You can empty out the bellows and go for re-inspection.

For replacement if OEM is out of budget, try junk yard. Carsdone parts are serviced originals [cant vouch for them] but yoy get replacements for free .. with your labor it might be the best alternative.

Salim