RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX350 - 60 Manufacturer Communications on nhtsa.gov

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 08:44 PM
nparthi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX350 - 60 Manufacturer Communications on nhtsa.gov

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/L...Communications

I was looking at any possible recalls for my 2015 RX350 and I came across a section on nhtsa.gov site that listed 60 Manufacturer Communicationsfor 2015 LEXUS RX350 (found below Recalls & Safety Issues section in the link)
I assume these to be technical service bulletins issues by Lexus. While I understand that it is different from a recall, is Lexus supposed to do any of this repair free of charge in case my vehicle encounters them ?
I remeber a TSB issued for my 2005 Honda Odyssey for Steering Pump that my dealer tried to charge me for. Once I told him that it was in the Honda TSB, he only charged my 25% of the original cost.

How do we associate an issue in my vehicle to be related to a TSB ?
How do I check that my vehicle is up to date on these TSBs?
Basically, I dont want to pay for something that Lexus has agreed to cover for free.

Example:
November 21, 2014 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: L-SB-0104-14
Components: SERVICE BRAKESNHTSA ID Number: 10109385
Manufacturer Communication Number: L-SB-0104-14
Summary

TSB: Some 2010 - 2015 model year RX 350 vehicles may exhibit an abnormal noise from the rear cabin area of the vehicle when moving forward and lightly braking. The noise is usually described as a thump noise at the end of a stop as the rear suspension returns to a rest position. A new Rear Disc Brake Anti-Squeal Shim Kit, Rear Disc Brake Pad Fitting Kit, and Rear Disc Brake Cylinder Mounting Brackets are available to address this condition.
Old 04-09-18, 06:53 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,181 Likes on 1,009 Posts

A TSB is just a notice by the manufacturer to the dealer to be aware of things that may need special attention or how to repair certain problems that they have found to occur more often than expected, or may be safety or reliability related. It is not a blanket free repair notice. However, many times such TSBs do result in a discounted repair, or extended warranty coverage for the repair, or sometimes a free repair. It all depends on the issue such as whether it is mere convenience, affects the running or reliability of the vehicle or is safety related. It does help to tell the dealer you know there is a TSB when you bring it in for a complaint as they would rather charge you full price instead of the discount or free coverage because there is a TSB as they do not want to file for reimbursement from the manufacturer because they make less money that way.

By federal law, the manufacturers have to provide TSBs ( and I think complaints) to NHTSA (so they can keep an eye on them and make sure they do not fail to take care of safety issues etc), who then publishes them on their web site. There is no way to know if it is current, but I doubt it. It may not even be complete, but we will never know unless one works for Toyota/Lexus and can access their database.
I suggest you read the NHTSA web page explanation about TSBs.
Manufacturers would much rather issue a TSB, even for stuff that should be recalled because the administrative costs are much much lower and less burdensome for the manufacturer. However, sometimes NHTSA catches them at this game and forces a recall. Think Toyota unwanted acceleration due to floor mats and Takata airbags. They do monitor owner complaints and check for correspondence to TSBs etc and run statistical analysis etc.