RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can I replace only one tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 10:32 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 344 Posts

Depends upon where your father chooses to go. A large chain may refuse what you want to do, whereas a local independent shop may be much more willing to work with you.

While I prefer to replace all four tires at the same time, there have been multiple situations over the years when I have replaced the tires on just one axle. Particularly on a vehicle that has staggered wheels like my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8. Those rear tires typically get no more than 32,000 to 34,000 miles even when kept at the proper psi, whereas those front tires typically get close to 50,000 miles.
Old 03-02-19, 01:20 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,189 Likes on 1,016 Posts

The AWD system on the RX does not require all the tires to be the same. The vehicle runs front wheel drive 90% of the time and the rear drive only comes on when slip is detected. I just replaced my 2 front tires after getting a nail in one and my old tires were at 7/32. No problem. I even saved the good front tire in case I needed it later. If you can find used tires that is always a great cheaper option. I have done it a few times, usually sourcing them from one of the huge used tire sellers on eBay. The only reason I got new tires this times was there were no used tires available in the make, style and size I wanted.

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-03-19 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-03-19, 07:39 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The AWD system on the RX does not require all the tires to be the same. The vehicle runs front wheel drive 90% of the time and the rear drive only comes on when slip is detected. I just replaced my 2 front tires after getting a nail in one and my old tires were at 7/32. No problem. I even saved the good front tire in case I needed it later. If you can find used tires that is always a great cheaper option. I have done it a few times, usually sourcing them from one of the huge used tire sellers on eBay. The only reason I got new tires this times was there were no used tires available in the make, style and size I wanted.
people always question me when i say im getting used tires my father for years would be like what the hell are you doing buying used tires
me i like michelin in the summer and bridgeston in the winter i drive on tires that makeme feel safe and do what i feel they should do properly
only time i buy a new tire from a new tire shop is when im on the road and can't wait for a used tire to be shipped
however for years i think my father finally figured out how come since i started driving and paying for my owner vehicle why i have bought used tires
because the michelin back i remember with the old michelin symmertry i used to love back in the early 2000s yeah in a size 15 back then that tire was 650 for a set of fourt installed new but for 300 i could buy 4 used ones and then pay 15 bucks to have them installed each.
back to the old micheline hydro edge whcih i miss cant belive they got ride of them new i could spend 750-800 for a set of fourt but used i could get a good set of used one iwth almsot new tred for like 450 installed
thats the reason i have no issue buying used tires i have never had a issue where i have needed to have a tire warranty used for things like tread or manufature defects so i dont see any reason to have to buy them new and if i can buy 4 used tires and install them for the price of 4 store brand tires installed why not
my dad also always wonders why he gets 20-30k on tires and i have the luck of actualy getting the tire life out of the tires ok maybe not the full life but when he reaplces them every 20-30k i get about 55-60k my current winter tires bridgeston blizzak i have now used for the final season this will be the 4th winter season on these tires they have 55k on them and the tire shop said this year they are ok next winter dont plan on saving them

the only time i go on ebay is when my usual used tire shop is not have the tire i need they use ebay also but i like the website prices are a few dollars cheaper form them direclty then on ebay
i have used BestUsedTires out of PA for the past 15 years