RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear license plate screw broke inside... also, how to place front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 09:59 AM
NoblePear4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear license plate screw broke inside... also, how to place front license plate?

I bought my used RX 450h and went to replace the dealer temporary tags today. The top left screw of the frame for the license plate is stuck inside and does not have a top. I wish I noticed that at the dealer, but oh well. Anyone able to point me to a way to remove the inside panel so that I can try to get to the inside part of the screw, to grab it with needle nose plyers to remove it? Thanks.

Also, I have to place a front license plate, but the holes on the front bumper were never created. I see indentations though. Should I just brute force it with a sharp screw? Any tips or videos you recommend? thanks!
Old 04-26-18, 10:15 AM
salimshah

Received 1,043 Likes on 941 Posts

Did you get the plates yourself or the dealer provided the service.

If they did, they most likely charged you a service fee and they should install the plates for you.

Even if they did not, ask them to provide the service for free. The front and back need a frame [typically the frame is free advertising for the dealership], other wise you may have to purchase it.

Salim
Old 04-26-18, 10:29 AM
NoblePear4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I drove about 7 hours away to the dealership to get this car, don't have the time or energy to drive there just for this. Hoping to do it myself. Thanks.
Old 04-26-18, 02:17 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,150 Likes on 981 Posts

Take your vehicle to a body shop and get the broken screw properly extracted and they will know how to properly mount a front plate and can look up if any parts are required. A friend moved to VA where 2 plates are required from CT where he only needed one. A local body shop took care of it, ordering a bracket from the dealer, and this was a Porsche. It took less than a day. In your case they may have to ship any parts needed for the front plate.

Look at this thread for instructions on removing the rear panel: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...anel-help.html

It has instructions but the photos in the link within the link are no longer available.. it does identify the plastic trim removal tools that do not leave marks when you pop the panel plugs loose.

Last edited by Clutchless; 04-26-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 03:11 PM
NoblePear4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Clutchless. Yeah, I should probably just wait and find a decent body shop to do all of this. Thanks.
Old 04-26-18, 05:25 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NoblePear4
...Also, I have to place a front license plate, but the holes on the front bumper were never created. I see indentations though. Should I just brute force it with a sharp screw?
Thirtyone States have a front plate. Your Lexus came from one of the nineteen States that doesn't.
There is Lexus front bracket that mounts where the 'indentations' in the bumper are.
The holes in your actual plate should not even line up with those indentations.

Typical price for that bracket is around $30.
But first, look in the back where the spare tire is located.
You may get lucky and it's still back there in a plastic bag.
Old 04-29-18, 11:26 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Or check with eBay or Amazon?

Or check with a junkyard? But you will need to find out what years span will the same license plate bracket fit?

If you are handy in fixing things, then probably it is not too hard to extract the broken screw. They sell an "extractor" drill bit at HomeDepot or Lowe's. You can go and ask about it. Once you get the broken screw out, you still have to determine if that part which holds the screw is still usable? If not, then you will need that part (from the junkyard, perhaps)? If you are handy, all these can be done easily in about an hour (probably 30 minutes if you got all the tools ready).

Originally Posted by Raoul
Thirtyone States have a front plate. Your Lexus came from one of the nineteen States that doesn't.
There is Lexus front bracket that mounts where the 'indentations' in the bumper are.
The holes in your actual plate should not even line up with those indentations.

Typical price for that bracket is around $30.
But first, look in the back where the spare tire is located.
You may get lucky and it's still back there in a plastic bag.

Last edited by lexusrus; 04-29-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 12:05 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to deliver auto parts for eight different manufacturers.
Used car lots would buy cars at auction from another state that only had a rear plate.
My state was a two plate state. I delivered many, many front brackets.

Even the sleaziest lots provided a front bracket.
Old 05-01-18, 06:20 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NoblePear4
Should I just brute force it with a sharp screw? Any tips or videos you recommend?
No, holes of the proper size need to be carefully drilled. If you don't have experience doing this I wouldn't recommend learning on a vehicle that you just bought. Definitely have a shop do this. It won't take long and shouldn't cost much.
Old 05-02-18, 05:38 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Craftsman 9-66196 Screw Extractor Set, 10 Piece
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-04-18, 07:16 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

My first thought was a screw extractor set, too. Then I thought what broke the screw off? If it was over-torqued or cross-threaded, it will be very difficult to remove, even with a screw extractor. I would let a good body shop do it.
Ray A.