RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

TPMS Installing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 03:11 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TPMS Installing

How easy would it be to install the TPMS system in a Lexus RX350 that didn't come with it? I know you can buy other TPMS systems but was trying to get it to integrate with the Lexus dash and show on the dash. I know I would need to buy the sensors and possibly the receiver but what else would be needed? This is for a 2011 Lexus RX350.
Old 05-02-18, 05:22 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
How easy would it be to install the TPMS system in a Lexus RX350 that didn't come with it? I know you can buy other TPMS systems but was trying to get it to integrate with the Lexus dash and show on the dash. I know I would need to buy the sensors and possibly the receiver but what else would be needed? This is for a 2011 Lexus RX350.
Here in the US TPMS have been mandated since 2007. They started a phase in in 2005. I know I didn't answer your question. I am just surprised yours does not already have it.
Old 05-02-18, 06:13 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah I am surprised too. There's a lot of features that were available on the 3rd gen RX that seems to have been missed on the Australia delivered model.
Old 05-02-18, 07:14 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

If Australia Government vehicle safety standards did not require them, and the competitive market did not make it a sales issue for Lexus to offer them, then it is likely they were never offered in Australia. Your vehicle likely does not even have the ability to sense them and integrate them with the dash display system if they were added to the tires.
Old 05-02-18, 01:51 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Or you can order the following from Amazon or eBay:
I've used this similar item I ordered from eBay and it worked well for an older car without any tire pressure sensors. Not only displayed pressure, but also temperature of each tire!! Just make sure you install it correctly and tightly so you don't end up with a slow leak. Also if you park in an unsecured high crime area, then this may not be for you due to potentially tempering since it is attached to your valve stem outside (1st one shown). Both types are self contained systems where it's got it's own 4 sensors and a "wirekess" central console you put on your dash so you can see the readings at all times.

A more secured install is to have it INSIDE the tire (see the second shown). But "inside" install will take some more know how and skill. It is still doable at home if you know how, but usually will require expert install at a tire shop. It's easy, but you will need to deflate the tire and gain access to the valve stem to slide the new sensor with its own valve stem "inside" the tire. Then you'll need to inflate the tire back up. This very last step maybe problematic for some people bc you will have broken the tire seal with the rim at this point.

Amazon Amazon
​​​​​

​​​​​​
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by draco

Last edited by lexusrus; 05-02-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 11:24 PM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

Sounds like a reasonable solution, provided one is OK with a second display.

Q: Does the system interfere with another if you choose to install in more than one vehicle? Or if some one else with the same set up is near.

Salim
Old 05-04-18, 12:43 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have the "external" screw on to the valve stems version for my old MB which did not have TMPS. No leaks and barely noticeable.

Works well. I can set my own minimum and maximum pressure ranges for the alarm to sound off.

No interference from anything or anyone else. Of course, my MB is driven rarely and is located in less populated areas vs places like LA.

Also after "some time of inactivity" (I don't know exactly how many minutes), the system will go to standby mode to conserve batteries.

The system also reports temperature of each tire. I was surprised to see that one of my front tires consistently ran higher temperature due to the oil cooler is located just in front of that front passenger tire.

Originally Posted by salimshah
Sounds like a reasonable solution, provided one is OK with a second display.

Q: Does the system interfere with another if you choose to install in more than one vehicle? Or if some one else with the same set up is near.

Salim