RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Used 3rd gen RX - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 07:24 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Used 3rd gen RX - advice needed

Hi all

Looking to buy a used RX350 for my elderly mother. She lives in MN so AWD, crashworthiness and reliability are the most important concerns

My budget is ideally US$10-12k but could stretch to $13k in a pinch. I've seen a couple of 2010s with 130k+ miles at this price range. Is there a sweet spot on mileage here (after major service)?

I could use your help on major repairs/weak spots in the design. I can't stick her with big repairs

Open questions
1) How reliable / good is the AWD system in these cars?
2) At my price range - I could get a lower mileage 2nd gen or a high mileage 3rd gen. Should I stretch to the 3rd generation?
3) How is the body on rust? MN uses salt

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-18, 09:30 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,161 Likes on 990 Posts

Very reliable but it is mostly FWD until it senses slip. Just change the transfer case and rear differential fluids right away if you buy one. Also change the transmission fluid.
Get a 3rd gen. Or maybe a Subaru for more bang for your money.
There are threads complaining of chassis surface rust, but nothing major and no body rust complaints. The whole northern US uses salt.
Old 05-31-18, 09:58 AM
salimshah

Received 1,049 Likes on 947 Posts

One of my family members bought a car for his mother. She loves the car and more so the gesture extended by her son. She hit the garage door jamb and now sys the vehicle is too large.

Back to RX, 3rd gen RX is larger than 1st gen and the 4th gen seems even more larger (could be styling that gives that impression). So what I am saying is, ask her to sit and drive each model.

If you want to stay in Lexus family, they have a smaller cross over in the offering -> NX which may also be at a favorable price point.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-31-18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-31-18, 01:24 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say it depends on your mother's size. The 2nd gen RX is tighter in shoulder room, the 3rd gen is much bigger. The 3rd gen also have a full width center console armrest instead of the thin armrests on the 2nd gen. This might contribute to a small elderly woman feeling like the 3rd gen is too large.

I personally am a large guy and didn't fit so well in the 2nd gen, but I still prefer to recommend it over the 3rd gen. It has its own issues but it is more of a traditional Lexus. It generally rides smoother, has a quieter engine, and has nicer quality leather. The leather in our 3rd gen is a real let down compared to 2nd gens I saw with double the miles. If you search the forums, all of the issues I mentioned above are major threads in the 3rd gen forum (engine drone, leather issues/cracking, ride not smooth). Note that the 3rd gen is generally noted to handle better and feel more planted, which is why it has a rougher ride. It depends on what makes your mom more comfortable.

The 2nd gen has its own issues. Although the engine was more or less the same on the 07-09 as the 2010-2015 (tuned for regular gas in 2012+), it was earlier in the production cycle and had more growing pains. I see more 07-09 models with blown oil cooler tubes, for example. I had them replaced on my 2010 also, but since the 07-09 was older and exposed to the elements for more years, that may contribute to the problem. Or maybe they changed to a better rubber formula in 2010, even though it still wasn't good enough (they eventually went to metal, which is what my replacements are). Same with the VVT-i tube, although they went to full metal on the 2010. Same thing on the timing chain cover leak. It's an issue on both generations but the 2nd gens are older and may have more issues.

Other issues include rear struts on the 2nd gen and rear shocks on the 3rd gen. Shocks are much easier to change out and result in a repair bill that's half, maybe a third the size.

The 2nd gen had a hydraulic power steering system that I've seen issues with before. The 3rd gen has electric power steering that I very rarely hear issues with.

The 2nd gen has a 5 speed automatic. The 3rd gen has a 6 speed auto. Both have their issues, I've seen full replacements on both.

The 3rd gen has a lot more tech, like keyless entry/start and the mouse-based navigation. A model with navigation like mine is downright confusing at times even for a 30 year old like me, and I can spend 12 hours a day on a phone or computer with no hiccups. I prefer the simpler interface on the 2nd gen, or a 3rd gen with no navigation. The problem is, you have to get navigation to get the backup camera, and that is a must have feature to me. Speaking of backup camera, people routinely complain that the one on the 3rd gen sucks. Even the 2nd gen one is better because it has guidelines, the 3rd gen does not.

The 2nd gen also had issues like cracked dashboards. Look close for that because if you miss it and want to fix it, it'll be a couple Grand probably.

I can't speak for rust since I'm in CA. I imagine finding a good condition 2007-2009 will require a big search, but it will be easier to get a great condition one in your price range than a 2010-2012.

Note that although the 2004-2006 was the same body as the 2007-2009, the engine was different and had a completely different set of issues. I'd stay away from those only because they're so old now, but they're not really worse if they were well maintained. They do require a costly timing belt service though.
The following users liked this post:
heshamos (09-07-18)
Old 06-01-18, 08:53 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all!
Old 06-02-18, 08:56 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Lexus been topping reliability charts for the last 11 years. Speaks for itself. Hiccup here and there on this and that is not representative of otherwise very reliable vehicles. Look ONLY for one made in Japan and buy CPO. Do NOT buy from small dealerships it's destined to be something wrong with it. I'd rather buy a 2nd gen CPO than 3rd gen. They are about same, really. How techy actually is your mom to be conserned with lack of some electronic delights? "new" models are literally same mechanically, but get more gizmos. Unless she's a Silicone Valley gal......
Old 06-02-18, 09:21 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Look ONLY for one made in Japan and buy CPO. Do NOT buy from small dealerships it's destined to be something wrong with it. I'd rather buy a 2nd gen CPO than 3rd gen.
Not relevant.

CPO 3rd gens are outside this price range
CPO 2nd gens do not exist in 2018
Cars are cars, small dealerships can get good ones and large dealers can get bad ones. Loads of stories on here about bad CPO's.

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
They are about same, really. How techy actually is your mom to be conserned with lack of some electronic delights? "new" models are literally same mechanically, but get more gizmos. Unless she's a Silicone Valley gal......
We look forward to when you get old, so we can tell you that you are not allowed/entitled to enjoying keyless entry/start, XM Radio, Heads Up Display, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, etc. Enjoy it while you can, we're coming for you
Old 06-03-18, 06:45 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not going to engage in the Tech battle. If I have a choice I much preferred my ‘05 to my ‘11 RX on so many levels.