RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Attempted breakin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 06:24 PM
recycled
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempted breakin?

I parked my 2011 RX350 outside a major shopping mall in Edmonton. I locked the driver's door manually with the manual key as I always am concerned about somebody reading my lock code and gaining entry. Later when I got in and started the car I got a message that read "key detected in the car". Now this is the first time I have ever had this come on the dash. I shut the engine off and restarted it and the message went away. Is this the kind of message you get when somebody tries to gain entry with a door lock code reader? I cannot find this message in the owner's manual.
Old 06-10-18, 06:33 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine shows a key detected light when I enter the car every time, even if the car is behind a locked garage door. If the car is turned off and then on, and the key never left, the key detecting light does not come on. I think you’re safe!

But then again, you do see all of these videos and news stories about our locks being easily unlocked with easy to buy electronics. Ugh!!!
Old 06-11-18, 04:24 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

The message was likely Key not detected in car. This can happen in low battery situations.
Old 06-11-18, 04:36 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

Actually, it's not quite how "reading code" works. You have to have someone with transponder next to you/key for the time, baddie's partner is sliding hand through the door handle of your car, tripping BCM to keep sending request for the key signal. Rather watch for people walking next to you or sitting next to you with a large bag. Transponder antenna is quite sizable.
Old 06-12-18, 06:39 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I do not think someone attempted to break into your car. You sound exceedingly nervous about advanced vehicle theft. Relax. If someone wants to steal your vehicle, they simply will. It's so easy and there is so little you can do about it that it's unfortunately not worth your time stressing about it. Don't keep valuables in it and buy extra insurance.
Why use the physical key when you can simply place your finger on the slightly indented piece on the base of the door handle? That also locks the door.
Old 06-12-18, 08:12 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

The Lexus alarm is set when you "power" lock the car by either using the fob button
or touching the outside door handle with the fob within 3 feet. When you lock it manually
it does not arm the system. Easy test demonstration is to roll down the drivers window
and "power" lock as described above. Wait 30 seconds and reach through and unlock
the car manually (notice that the inside electric lock/unlock does not work). You will
have set off the horn and lights for up to two minutes (disturbing the peace tickets if
longer!) or press the unlock on the fob.
Old 06-12-18, 12:26 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So true.

If "they" want to steal YOUR CAR, it only takes less than 30 seconds to put on a flatbed truck or trailer and off they go.........and across the ocean they go......

Originally Posted by ColAngus
I do not think someone attempted to break into your car. You sound exceedingly nervous about advanced vehicle theft. Relax. If someone wants to steal your vehicle, they simply will. It's so easy and there is so little you can do about it that it's unfortunately not worth your time stressing about it. Don't keep valuables in it and buy extra insurance.
Why use the physical key when you can simply place your finger on the slightly indented piece on the base of the door handle? That also locks the door.
Old 06-14-18, 06:53 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by recycled
Is this the kind of message you get when somebody tries to gain entry with a door lock code reader? I cannot find this message in the owner's manual.
No. Page 559:
https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM48B53U.pdf

As others have stated, if they're going to steal your car they're going to steal it. Use the fob as intended and stop worrying.
Old 06-16-18, 08:45 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Over the years I've done a lot of traveling.....one thing I noticed is that DO NOT leave anything in plain sight in the car!!! Put it in the trunk or just cover it (this is not best bc the bad guys will wonder what was so valuable you HAD to cover it?). Also put the valuables in the trunk or the rear hatch area with the cover pulled BEFORE YOU PARK IT (For example, at a gas station BEFORE you enter the mall or your office parking lot or whatever. So the bad guys will not see you doing it).

Also get dark tinted windows so the bad guys can't just walk by and see inside. This maybe ilegal in some states, but usually with a doc's medical validation, all ok.

A friend of mine had a small self battery powered dog barking device that just randomly barks in the car. It worked for him.

Originally Posted by recycled
I parked my 2011 RX350 outside a major shopping mall in Edmonton. I locked the driver's door manually with the manual key as I always am concerned about somebody reading my lock code and gaining entry. Later when I got in and started the car I got a message that read "key detected in the car". Now this is the first time I have ever had this come on the dash. I shut the engine off and restarted it and the message went away. Is this the kind of message you get when somebody tries to gain entry with a door lock code reader? I cannot find this message in the owner's manual.
Old 06-17-18, 03:16 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

A friend of mine had a small self battery powered dog barking device that just randomly barks in the car. It worked for him.
You will have PETA type person hear the dog barks when the temps are over 100° and they will break your windows thinking they save a dog from getting fried 😄
Old 06-17-18, 04:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I would like to see that!!!

You are right, though.

However, i would really like to park in front of some big box store and watch from a distance and THEN to tell that PETA PERSON to mind his/her own business!!! If anyone breaks the windows, I will sue!!! Just kidding, NOT!!!

THE freaking PETA, man!!! I see so many dead dogs on the side of the highway in metro areas. I wonder if these dogs just jumped out of cars/back of pickup truckks? If the PETA people are so mission mided, then all pets traveling in vehicles must be mandatory seat belted!!!

Originally Posted by Airbalance

You will have PETA type person hear the dog barks when the temps are over 100° and they will break your windows thinking they save a dog from getting fried 😄