RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Looking for Help: Buying Used 3rd Gen RX

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 09:58 AM
smody121
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Looking for Help: Buying Used 3rd Gen RX

I'm just sort of starting my research in to buying an RX350 and thought getting something like a 2nd or 3rd gen would be my best bet and then upgrading any specifics we'd want from there. As a former ES350 owner, my wife and I absolutely love the way Lexus' drive and since we have a baby on the way, thought getting the middy SUV would be a good option.

She absolutely needs a rear view camera and USB ports, both of which I'm pretty sure can be added after purchase on almost any model if I'm not mistaken. But my question to all of you is: which model in the 2nd/3rd generation was your favorite, why, and is that model conducive to DIY upgrades like installing a NAV/rear camera/USB porting/etc.? Thanks!
Old 06-11-18, 11:12 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I recently purchased a 2014 RX350 about 6 months ago...
I came from driving a 99 ES300 and 02 LS430 and loved the ride of both.
This was my first SUV. Here's what I learned...
SUV's in general do not ride as nice as sedans do, especially the older sedans.
18" rims give a softer ride than the 19" rims. (19" do look nice though)
FWD models have a softer ride than AWD models
So if you want the softest ride, that would be a FWD with 18" rims. The harshest ride (my car) is the AWD with 19" rims.

I think the combination of coming from the older cushy sedans and then getting the harshest riding model was really a shock for me.
With that said, I actually am happy with the car overall, and my girlfriend is 100% happy with it. I was just disappointed that I didn't get that cushy ride I was naively expecting. So I just wanted to give you a heads up as something to consider on your test drives as you had mentioned owning an ES. It seems most of the complaints about the harsh ride are from previous Lexus owners. So be sure to take the SUV on an extended test drive over the roads you normally travel to see how you like the ride.

As far as the 3rd gen's, they did a refresh in 2013. They have a FAQ section here that I would highly recommend checking out. Among other good info, there is a comparison of the '12 and '13 model, detailing exactly what changed.

My opinion on adding features when buying a used car is I think it is best to just take your time and get one that already has everything you want.
Once a car is over 3 or so years old, the prices just start to average out... The gap in price between the fully loaded and the base isn't really that big anymore. So I'd just find one that already has everything you want. That's just my opinion.

Congratulations on the baby!
The following users liked this post:
smody121 (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 01:33 PM
SilverRX30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello!

I think it would be really hard to put in a NAV system into the car. You could consider just using your updated Cell phone for that purpose. Between 2nd and 3rd generation would somewhat depend on how much u would like to spend. Personally, I'd look for at least a 2013 RX350 or newer. Basic packages include Premium Package.....NAV and Confort Packages add more to price but on a used it does not add that much. Find one that u and your wife like and drive it. I purchased mine from a Lexus dealer with extended warranty. Very happy with the purchase so far!
smody121 (06-12-18)
Old 06-18-18, 09:48 AM
smody121
10th Gear

Thanks for the responses. I ended up grabbing a 2008 RX with 38k miles for $13,900. I thought it was a great deal and was in pristine condition (an old lady was the previous owner). It is the most basic of models though, so I will have to put a lot of work to get it up to 2018 technology levels and definitely plan to. Will post a new thread with developments as I go.
Old 06-18-18, 10:03 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations!!!!
Old 06-18-18, 12:10 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Congrats. Crutchfield is a great source for aftermarket audio improvements as they already figured out what fits and have lots of additional help available. Maybe you can add a more modern sound system with 2018 features.
I already entered 2008 RX350 without Nav

https://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx
smody121 (06-21-18)
Old 06-18-18, 05:43 PM
14RX350
Driver

Congratulations!
I think that's a great choice!
I've read so many people say they traded in their 2nd gen. model for a 3rd gen. and regretted it, so it seems like that generation was really good.
And you can't beat that price, especially for only 38K miles!!!
I think you did really good!

One thing I just "had to have" when I got my car was the blind spot monitoring, but after getting it I saw a video online that said it was kinda just a gimmick... There is a way to angle your side mirrors differently to just eliminate the blind spot.

I know I've seen someone with a 2nd. gen upgrade their head unit... It looked more up-to-date than the one in my 2014.
They are coming out with so much new aftermarket car tech upgrades these days.... Heads up display, parking sensors, back up camera, front and rear dash cam, Digital rearview mirror, aftermarket headlights, upgraded speakers/ head units, etc... I don't think you'll have any problem finding things to add...
And if it's not out yet just give it some time and it will be!

I'm always on the lookout for new tech for the car. Keep me posted on your ideas/ upgrades!
Old 06-19-18, 09:16 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by smody121
She absolutely needs a rear view camera and USB ports
What do you mean by "USB ports"? Power only? Power & music? Are you totally against bluetooth for music?

There are certainly aftermarket interface kits if you want to add bluetooth or wired music to the factory system and there are threads on the topic in the 2RX subforum for your 2008. Not sure on rearview. Our 2008 400h was equipped with nav & a camera so I didn't have to look into those though we mostly use our phones for nav.

Originally Posted by smody121
As a former ES350 owner, my wife and I absolutely love the way Lexus' drive
Point out above and too late at this point but all Lexus models do not drive the same. The RX isn't going to be the same as a sedan or even the same as something like a GX or LX. Even the RX models differ. Our 400h was quieter & smoother than the 350 of the same model year. 3RX F sports also differ from the non-F sports.

Last edited by takeshi74; 06-19-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 06:13 PM
smody121
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 14RX350
Congratulations!
I think that's a great choice!
I've read so many people say they traded in their 2nd gen. model for a 3rd gen. and regretted it, so it seems like that generation was really good.
And you can't beat that price, especially for only 38K miles!!!
I think you did really good!

One thing I just "had to have" when I got my car was the blind spot monitoring, but after getting it I saw a video online that said it was kinda just a gimmick... There is a way to angle your side mirrors differently to just eliminate the blind spot.

I know I've seen someone with a 2nd. gen upgrade their head unit... It looked more up-to-date than the one in my 2014.
They are coming out with so much new aftermarket car tech upgrades these days.... Heads up display, parking sensors, back up camera, front and rear dash cam, Digital rearview mirror, aftermarket headlights, upgraded speakers/ head units, etc... I don't think you'll have any problem finding things to add...
And if it's not out yet just give it some time and it will be!

I'm always on the lookout for new tech for the car. Keep me posted on your ideas/ upgrades!
Thank you sir, I will definitely keep you all posted. I was speaking with a local custom shop owner who suggested adding two corner rear cameras which activate on hitting your turn signal and pop up on the screen depending on which direction you choose. Sounds like a pretty cool idea. First things I'm doing to do is install the new aftermarket radio and all the bells and whistles around that (Kenwood DNX694S) as well as the Viper/Compustar security system (detailed below) as well as LED high and low headlights. Other ideas I'm thinking about implementing over the next 12 months:

- Besides upgrading the headlights to LEDs, thinking of installing custom daytime LED bars around the edges of the head and tail lights.
- Installing a Viper/Compustar system with phone connection so I can remote start/stop and lock/unlock the car with GPS included where I can track where the car is at any time and set max speed limits or boundaries on a map where I'd get notifications if the car goes outside my specs, etc.
- Thinking of lightly tinting front windows but going ceramic on the windshield and front windows to block out heat/sunlight
- Eventually going to install an amp/sub and upgrading speakers
- Thinking of doing 3 (yes, 3) layers of Soundskins on all the doors and really sound proofing the car to make it the most quiet ride of all time
- I got a little crazy and started thinking of ways to improve the ride (it's smooth but why not try and make it smoother??) and easier fixes that don't involve the suspension would be adding thicker tires, so may go down to 18s and get extra rubber between the road and the rims.
- I'll let you know if I think of other cool things I plan on doing to it!

Originally Posted by takeshi74
What do you mean by "USB ports"? Power only? Power & music? Are you totally against bluetooth for music?

There are certainly aftermarket interface kits if you want to add bluetooth or wired music to the factory system and there are threads on the topic in the 2RX subforum for your 2008. Not sure on rearview. Our 2008 400h was equipped with nav & a camera so I didn't have to look into those though we mostly use our phones for nav.

Point out above and too late at this point but all Lexus models do not drive the same. The RX isn't going to be the same as a sedan or even the same as something like a GX or LX. Even the RX models differ. Our 400h was quieter & smoother than the 350 of the same model year. 3RX F sports also differ from the non-F sports.
The USBs will be for charging phones and connecting to the stereo unit for Android Auto or Apple CarPlay (upgrading the OEM to a double DIN Kenwood DNX694S stereo). Bluetooth connection works too, my wife just really wanted to be able to charge her phone. I'm also installing a wireless charger under the rubber floor tray under the dash so we can just drop our phone on to a wireless Xi charging station and connect bluetooth if we don't want to connect to the USBs.
Old 06-25-18, 08:19 AM
14RX350
Driver

The larger sidewall should definitely give you a softer ride. Especially with the right tires. Those low profile tires really kill the ride.
Iv'e seen stuff like the cameras for the blind spot, but I always wondered if it would be a hassle to look at the screen.
I definitely like some good headlights. I got the led daytime headlights on mine (they added them in 2013) and I really like that about the car. Headlights can really change how new/old a car looks.

That all sounds pretty similar to what I want...
-Even with the 12 speaker package the sound is just ok:
I'm leaving the head unit, but want to install new speakers and new sub/amp. Gotta figure out what I want to do and then start collecting the components off craigslist/ eBay.
-Car isn't as quiet as I'd like:
I wanted to do a few layers of sound deadening on the doors as well. I also wanted to do the headliner (it's pretty loud when it rains, and the bike rack up there added more wind noise). Possibly the trunk and rear-door as well. I like the stuff from soundskins as well as soundeadenershowdown. The soundskins speaker rings seem like a good idea for the audio.
-Glare/ privacy/ heat control from front windows:
Want to tint the front windows and windshield just lightly. 3M seems to have some good products for light tint, like the 3M Crystalline.
-Ride is kinda harsh compared to what I had expected:
I've been considering new shocks/struts. KYB and Monroe both make them. Seems KYB is the go to OEM replacement, but Monroe seems to advertise a softer ride.
-A dash cam.
I'd want it installed seamlessly/invisible though... no screen.
-Heads up display would be nice, so I don't have to look down to view the GPS
Waiting for a good one to come out.

I've gotten kinda bogged down with the boring stuff though... Fixing rattles, new tires, general maintenance, new cargo & floor mats, etc... The rattles are another reason why the sound deadened is at the top of my list.
Old 06-25-18, 09:47 AM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To the point someone else had on using your phone for the Nav system, I bought this to fit in the dashboard cup holder on my '15 RXH:
Amazon Amazon
Friends of mine got the magnet that sticks to your dash but they keep falling off in the heat. I don't use this particular cup holder anyway so it's perfect and easy to keep your eyes on the road. I tried a unit that fit into the CD player but it didn't work well and you had to look down to see it. My vehicle has Navi but it's so much easier to use your phone. Between Waze and Google Maps....
Old 06-26-18, 11:37 AM
smody121
10th Gear

Yea 14RX, we're basically on the same wavelength. I'm looking to upgrade the "invisible" stuff first, prioritize capital towards things that will make the car run better before adding the fund stuff like a sub and amp. Hopefully I'll have phase one complete by the end of July. I'll post pics on how I did everything once I finish.