RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help me decide between F-sport and non F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 12:15 PM
MstrWayne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Help me decide between F-sport and non F-Sport

Hello,
I am new to the forums, Hello Everyone.

Currently deciding on purchasing a 3RX (2014-2015) close to 30K CAD (+/- 4k) Here are my thoughts and things I am hoping to get feedback on:

1. My GF (soon to be wife) drive a 2011 Porsche Cayenne, 120k kms, very sporty fun ride, so for another vehicle has to be a comfortable reliable highway guzzler we can be careless about putting as much kms we want , doing road trips + city driving, Hence the RX 350, Thoughts???

2. I test-drove a non-Fsport RX 350 and felt the steering is way too soft, I liked everything else from the drive. The size/weight of the car (10/10), acceleration (8/10), braking (7/10) driving dynamics (7/10) presence on the road (10/10).

3. I didn't get to drive a F-sport as there aren't any available in my city (Edmonton, Alberta) so I would have to purchase one remotely and get it shipped without test-driving it

Here are the reasons I want to get F-sport:
  • The Sport aesthetics / F-sport Badge / Rareness of FSport version.
  • Better suspension (source: internet research, have heard the f-sport handles body roll better than the regular)
  • Better steering response (source: Internet research)
  • F-sport comes pretty loaded (Options like BSM, Parking sensors, Mark Levinson audio)
  • 8-Speed Transmission. (better MPG)

Reasons I have against it:
  • I will not get to test drive the vehicle
  • 8-Speed Transmission issue: some people have complained that Transmission is Jumpy/ Confused about which gear to be in.

Will it really be worth purchasing a vehicle (F-Sport) without test driving it, hoping to get better steering feedback?

There are F-sport versions available on east coast (Toronto, Canada) and Cars are usually cheaper on east coast so the delivery cost will be covered.
i.e. F-Sport from east coast + Delivery cost = Regular loaded RX 350 in my area

Would really appreciate thoughts/feedback?
Old 06-14-18, 03:56 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had 2013 Fsport for a year , no problems I have noticed with the tranny
i do not have BSM but mirrors are larger , you don't need it
parking sensors are nice but with back up camera it is no problem parking, my pickup with a cap on does not have a camera , never hit anything parking in 30 years
ML radio , my hearing is shot so I do not notice any difference with a Bose radio

you need her to drive one and only than she will know which one she likes better

Phone dealers and ask them to call you when one comes in off lease
Old 06-14-18, 06:32 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Worth is always highly subjective. You have to test drive to see if the F-Sport works for you or if it is too similar to the regular RX. If you're expecting something like the Cayenne I would guess that you're probably going to be disappointed.

Last edited by takeshi74; 06-14-18 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 07:24 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,192 Likes on 1,019 Posts

You need to drive an F-Sport before buying one. I would look for any local used or new one to test drive.

The main suspension changes for the F-Sport are
1) stiffer struts and shocks and bigger wheels
2) nothing else except front and rear lateral dampers which are claimed to reduce vibration and stiffen the suspension. These are strut tower bars with shock absorbers in the middle to reduce vibration.
Some have removed them in the rear and noticed no difference. You can look it up on the Lexus web site.
3) I think some additional electronic controls to keep you from losing control and dying in reckless high speed driving encouraged by their sporty suspension mods.

Car and Driver said it rode worse but did not handle any better than a regular RX350. However I could see possible body roll reduction from the stiffer struts/shocks.
Old 06-15-18, 12:01 PM
MstrWayne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Airbalance
Phone dealers and ask them to call you when one comes in off lease
Great advice, I will do that.

I found a used F-sport to drive in town, I won't buy it as it has way too many kms on it but it will give insight on how it drives.

Going to Calgary on next weekend to test drive a F-sport I like and see how it goes. It is 2013 F-sport white in color, 90K kms, listed for 30k. it doesn't have parking sensor or BSM but has ML audio. If I like the drive of F-sport, it might be the one.

I will continue to document my experience here so that someone else can use it.
Old 06-15-18, 03:42 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ride is definitely more rough when compared to non f sport models. However, steering definitely feels tighter and turning radius is better than non f. appearance was also a big reason why I purchased the car, looks super good- especially white on black contrast. along with the looks were the paddle shifters and graphite wheels, everything just works.

I might change out my Goodyear tires for Michelin soon to soften up the ride a little. Keep us updated.
Old 06-15-18, 04:38 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MstrWayne
Great advice, I will do that.

I found a used F-sport to drive in town, I won't buy it as it has way too many kms on it but it will give insight on how it drives.

Going to Calgary on next weekend to test drive a F-sport I like and see how it goes. It is 2013 F-sport white in color, 90K kms, listed for 30k. it doesn't have parking sensor or BSM but has ML audio. If I like the drive of F-sport, it might be the one.

I will continue to document my experience here so that someone else can use it.
2013 Fsport did come with parking sensor or BSM
last year I paid $32,000 with 65 km , it was also a CPO
Old 06-15-18, 07:10 PM
MstrWayne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Airbalance

2013 Fsport did come with parking sensor or BSM
last year I paid $32,000 with 65 km , it was also a CPO
It did, currently I can't find one close to me, Will continue to look.

Old 06-15-18, 07:12 PM
MstrWayne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fpan87
Ride is definitely more rough when compared to non f sport models. However, steering definitely feels tighter and turning radius is better than non f. appearance was also a big reason why I purchased the car, looks super good- especially white on black contrast. along with the looks were the paddle shifters and graphite wheels, everything just works.

I might change out my Goodyear tires for Michelin soon to soften up the ride a little. Keep us updated.
I would like to like to have a tighter steering feel, regular rx350 was way tooo soft for me.

Old 06-17-18, 08:27 AM
MstrWayne
Driver School Candidate

Update: found a 2014 FSport in my city:

http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-39329485

75k kms
All loaded with parking sensors, BSM, ML audio
white ext
Black int

Test drove it and really felt the difference in steering, it was tighter, just enough for my liking.

There are some cosmetic things to be done on the car, paint dings, rear seat cup holder mechanism broken etc etc.

It was listed for 33,888 I brought it down to 32,250$ with subject to inspection, I put a deposit down on it.

Thoughts? Feedback?
Old 06-17-18, 01:40 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Nice !
Hope you enjoy it
Old 06-18-18, 07:37 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Price is a little higher than what I would pay for. For comparison:

My local dealer had a few with low mileage ranging from 20,000 miles to 35k ish and price tag was between 29-32k

They were also cpo so you get the peace of mind of buying a used vechicle and generally in very good cosmetic condition. Everything works as should.

Old 06-18-18, 09:04 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fpan87
Price is a little higher than what I would pay for. For comparison:

My local dealer had a few with low mileage ranging from 20,000 miles to 35k ish and price tag was between 29-32k

They were also cpo so you get the peace of mind of buying a used vechicle and generally in very good cosmetic condition. Everything works as should.

he is in Alberta , they always appear to pay more for they cars out that way,
Old 06-18-18, 08:44 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I test drove a number of F-Sport variants of the RX350/RX450h and even the RX300h before I settled on a non F-Sport variant.

I found the F-Sport variant had very "boy racer" looking bits of trim, e.g. the brake and accelerator pedal, which I didn't like. I also didn't appreciate the very stiff suspension setup. I did like the honeycomb grill design though and the front end design on the 3rd gen RX F-Sport looked decidely more appealing to me.

Of course, these are some of the features that others desire, so it boils down to your individual tastes and preferences.
Old 06-19-18, 05:59 AM
MstrWayne
Driver School Candidate

Cars are a bit more expensive out here than east coast,

I went to test drive it again with my girlfriend, she like it and said it drives close to her Porsche but softer, more comfortable, which is what we wanted.

I agree with boyish looks of f sport but I love it, I am 28 so can handle it. I love the ride of it, the handling as well as the looks.

Quick Reply: Help me decide between F-sport and non F-Sport