RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tail Light Assembly - missing wire from connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 10:26 AM
Cindyaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Light Assembly - missing wire from connector

All my passenger rear tail light lights recently went out on my 2011 RX350. I checked the fuse and the fuse was fine. I didn't think it could be the light bulbs since all of them went out at once so I took it to a mechanic. Before he ran a diagnostic I did suggest he check the bulbs (a friend told me to have him do this for the "just in case" scenario).

The mechanic checked the bulbs and yes, all were needing to be replaced. Very strange. He also noticed that a wire was disconnected and missing from the connector. (see pic). He didn't fix this and left it as is since after he replaced the bulbs the lights seemed to all work (well most all).

I drove home only to have a friend tell me lights weren't working....it's those little LED lights (at least I think they're LED, it's those little row of white lights on the top row in the assembly).

I'm assuming that this disconnected wire is probably the reason these lights aren't working and it needs to be connected.

My question is how can I reconnect this wire?

Here is a picture of the connection and the missing wire is in the sleeve.

Old 06-26-18, 11:21 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,175 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Did you/he compare it to the other side to see if both are the same?
Can't your mechanic figure it out? I would separate (unplug) the plug from the other half, then see if it could come apart, then splice another wire in between the 2 broken ends. Use a heat shrink tube over the connections. Maybe solder them if you want to spend the time.
Old 06-26-18, 12:00 PM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

My biggest concern would be, why did the wire break off? There should be a tension relief on the wires. Splicing would be the easiest thing but it would add tension on the broken wire.

There are number of options to do the repair right. By 'right' I mean the fix should not cause additional tension, else it will break yet again.

Salim
Old 06-26-18, 12:29 PM
Cindyaz
Driver School Candidate

I did compare the other side and it has two wires. I'm reluctant to have my mechanic fix it as when he was working on the back tail lights he sat on my rear bumper and broke the tabs so now the bumper sags and he is having to replace my bumper because once the tabs break you can't re-attach it. A poor design on Lexus part.

I did unplug the plug and cut into the rubber protective sleeve so now the disconnected wire is visible. However it is shorter than the other wire since it broke off somehow, so I'm not able to reconnect. Plus the connector doesn't open.

I looked online for an OEM connector and can't find one.

Is reconnecting the wire something a reliable mechanic shop can do?

Looking at it I would think you'd have to remove the light in order to work on it since the space is so small.

If this is the case, wouldn't it make sense to just buy a whole new tail light?

Really don't want to spend the money on a new tail light if the wire can be reconnects for a lot less.
Old 06-26-18, 02:27 PM
Clutchless

Find a shop that specializes in electrical work. Get a used tail light on eBay.
If you are in Tucson there is a well regarded independent Toyota shop my friend who lives there uses for his GS350. I will look up the name tonight.
Old 06-26-18, 03:07 PM
Cindyaz
Driver School Candidate

Clutchless...thank you. I'm actually in PHX but if you give me the Toyota Shop I'll give them a call. They may be able to refer me to a shop in PHX.
Old 06-26-18, 06:49 PM
Clutchless

It is Dan's Toy Shop http://www.toyshoptucson.com/
Old 06-26-18, 08:39 PM
salimshah

Received 1,076 Likes on 968 Posts

There is a pin release tool. Lexus parts has a kit box with all sorts of pins. I would cut back the broken wire and add a piece of wire [of the right length and crimp it to the new pin. Slide the pin in till it locks and you are done.

Another approach would be to buy the harness end wit about 3" of wires. Splice in all of the wires and you will be done.

Lexus should be able to sell you the harness, but it will be expensive and time consuming to install. [some are short, but mostly they are long and go to multiple points ... lot of panels to open].

Salim
Old 06-27-18, 04:35 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
My biggest concern would be, why did the wire break off? There should be a tension relief on the wires. Splicing would be the easiest thing but it would add tension on the broken wire.

There are number of options to do the repair right. By 'right' I mean the fix should not cause additional tension, else it will break yet again.

Salim

I can tell you why the wire broke off. Due to Lexus' stupid design from the factory, that connector is piggybacked on long tail light extension connection that you need to remove for the tail light. When you twist to remove the tail light, the wires on the led brake light connector also twist, potentially breaking wires. I just had the same thing happen. Before removing the tail light bulb, both sides of the plug you have pictured need to be detached from the tail light connector.

It should be a reasonably easy fix for a shop (even a stereo shop) as it is just soldering the wire back on.