RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Front parking sensor / sonar replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 07:01 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front parking sensor / sonar replacement

Our 2011 RX 350 was indicating a sensor / sonar problem on the dash, rendering the entire system unusable. We disabled it until I could replace the sensor.
I checked the part number several times (see last pic), and finally paid $21.80 for one on eBay.
It's unpainted, and I later found that the original sensors are painted all the way around the side of the white, so if you want a match, you may want to do that in advance.

I erred in not realizing that there is a clip on the housing that goes through the square hoop on the sensor, so check for clips on both the top and bottom of the sensor when removing the old one. Overall, an easy replacement, as you only need to remove 5-6 bolts and clips to get the wheel well to drop where you can reach it.
And we're back to getting beeps for bushes, bumpers, and garage obstructions.

Dash indicator is specific to the sonar/sensor that has an issue.

Old sensor - painted car color

Remove wheel and partially drop the wheel well - easy.

Sensor is clipped, top and bottom, to the outer housing through the bumper.

New sensor (no paint) plugged in and ready for installation.

Installed. At this age, we may not repaint, though it's not hard.

Old sensor and part # from new sensor.
The following users liked this post:
sbacchus (12-31-19)
Old 07-08-18, 02:59 PM
seynx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it work? Please post a photo
Old 07-08-18, 05:05 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by seynx
Did it work? Please post a photo
Sure did - re-enabled the parking sensor, and got no errors.
Double-checked it by standing in front of each sensor, and they worked as they used to.

Let me know what kind of pic you'd like.

Last edited by antigeek; 07-10-18 at 08:07 PM.
seynx (07-09-18)
Old 07-09-18, 05:38 AM
seynx
Driver School Candidate

This is a good info to know. I will be fixing mine this week too. Wondering why the huge price difference (Ebay and Dealer)
Old 07-09-18, 09:38 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by antigeek
edit snip ...

Let me know what kind of pic you'd like.
What is preferred is a step by step DIY with part number. Precautions, difficulties, hidden fasteners, tricks and tools required.

I consider that as 'pay-back' to the Club Lexus community.

Salim
Old 07-09-18, 02:56 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
What is preferred is a step by step DIY with part number. Precautions, difficulties, hidden fasteners, tricks and tools required.

I consider that as 'pay-back' to the Club Lexus community.

Salim
I think I did that, at least to some degree (see comments with each pic). I did mention there was a clip on top as well as the bottom - I didn't say I broke the top clip.
Didn't take the extra hour+ to take more 10 pics and document every step. Hopefully it'll be helpful to some.
I had an SC 430 and posted many fixes there as well.

seynx,

I'm not sure about the price difference there, either. I know that I replaced the radiator in my '02 SC 430 with a Denso for $100 vs. $800+ at the dealership (installed).
I did my homework and double-checked that I had a sensor that most likely would work, but no guarantee until I installed and tested it.
That was my risk vs. taking the car apart, pulling the part, checking #s on it, and haivng to go back in later to install it.
Turned out to be a good one, and a good skill for finding any replacement part: look for commonality between what you need it to fit, what they say it fits, and the part #.
Helps to also have a parts diagram, which you can get printed by your dealer's parts dept. (I didn't in this case).
Done it for lots of appliances, pool, and car parts and have done well so far.

Let us know how your fix goes!
salimshah (07-09-18)
Old 12-11-19, 09:15 AM
pam1980
Driver

Default Park Assist Sensor Fault

Sonar Fault message. Went over a big bump and that triggered it. I called the dealership and they said depending on how many sensors affected (based on the error message, looks like the front impacted not the back, not sure how many). it would be a minimum $500 for the fix. I am wondering if anyone was able to diagnose which one and fix this themselves and I could convince my husband to look at it. Just thought I'd ask since this forum has proved to be helpful in the past.

I've had this message appear a few times in the last few years and I would turn the feature on and off and it would go away. Not this time. I did search this forum but couldn't find anything.
Old 12-12-19, 07:45 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

hmmmm..... two of my sensors failed during a rainstorm here. I was charged $20 each by my indy mechanic. He didn't charge me separate labor because he lumped up the job with a bunch of other stuff. If you are out of warranty, please don't go to the dealer.
pam1980 (12-18-19)
Old 12-28-19, 01:08 PM
pam1980
Driver

Can someone, OP or Moderator give more directions with how to remove the sensor clip? Looked at other threads and google and several have the same question. I couldn't find a video to help. Any help appreciated. And will post my own video if successful.