RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Dealer Diagnostic

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 11:57 AM
MHess
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer Diagnostic

Good Morning!
I just purchased a used 2012 Lexus RX350. I've been an Audi driver for 30 years and this is my first Lexus - I'm excited! Do you recommend having the dealership go over the car 'tooth and nail' to see if any defects, etc? I purchased the car from a Toyota dealership but I just don't trust them to tell me the car is 'fine'. Any particular tests you recommend? I'm in the San Diego area. All advice is incredibly helpful as I'm always skeptical of dealerships, mechanics, etc. Been burned many times in the past. Thank you all!!!
Old 08-05-18, 02:19 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Congratulations on the new car! I'm in San Diego as well (Ramona) and recently purchased an RX350.
I haven't tried another Lexus dealerships yet so I'm not sure if it is the same everywhere, but when I went to the one in Escondido I realized that they charged $160/hr... And if you bring the car in for warranty work and they can't find the problem (or say that it is working as designed, etc..) they will charge you $160/hr for the time they spent looking into it. I asked for the same thing when I purchased my car... a general inspection, but I'm pretty sure they didn't do it. On top of that, the service consultant was extremely rude to me and didn't answer/ return my calls. I'v hesitated to speak poorly of that dealership because I really liked the head mechanic there. If it wasn't for him, I'd be putting negative reviews out about that place left and right.

I think the best thing to do is just go to another Toyota dealership that's owned by someone else to have them check it out, or find yourself a good private mechanic.
You can go to the Lexus website to view service history... What they have of it at least, depending on where the car was serviced.
How many miles does it have?
The following users liked this post:
MHess (08-05-18)
Old 08-05-18, 03:12 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I'd go to Lexus dealer only at gunpoint and only on vehicle with warranty. I tried them 3 times, each time it's rather snooty attitude. I bought my NX from a local Toyota dealer that gave my detailed inspection list. Even oil was changed.
If you were to really take all the glitter and fancy body off the components that do matter, like chassis/power train - it's same Toyota.
What to do in your case? It depends how deep your pockets are. You WILL have to pay for inspection and you WILL end with long expensive list of recommended this and that. They always do.
The following users liked this post:
MHess (08-05-18)
Old 08-05-18, 04:57 PM
MHess
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both so much for your advice! It's greatly appreciated. Car has 90k on it, no deep pockets here - especially for a dealer Now I just have to get car mats (didn't have any) and definitely a good mechanic in the San Diego area. You guys are GREAT!!!! May you have a wonderful Sunday!
Old 08-05-18, 08:35 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MHess
Good Morning!
I just purchased a used 2012 Lexus RX350. I've been an Audi driver for 30 years and this is my first Lexus - I'm excited! Do you recommend having the dealership go over the car 'tooth and nail' to see if any defects, etc? I purchased the car from a Toyota dealership but I just don't trust them to tell me the car is 'fine'. Any particular tests you recommend? I'm in the San Diego area. All advice is incredibly helpful as I'm always skeptical of dealerships, mechanics, etc. Been burned many times in the past. Thank you all!!!
No - I don't recommend taking it to the Lexus dealer to go over it "tooth and nail" for obvious reasons. There is no test or inspection that tells your that your car is "fine".

If your car drives and feels fine and has a clear maintenance history, taking it to the dealership and asking them to find "everything wrong with it" will pretty give them a carte blanche to list all the unnecessary recommended service items that needs to be done.

Much better to take it to an independent mechanic for inspection, or inspect the vehicle yourself.