RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Interior Driver Door Trim Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 06:56 AM
MHess
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Driver Door Trim Protection?

Good Morning!
I am new to the group and am seriously challenged when it comes to identifying parts - so my apologies in advance for not describing items correctly. Hopefully you can understand since you are the experts! I just purchased a used 2012 RX350. I want to protect the interior, driver's side molding (that goes around the driver's door window). Dirty hands have already mucked it up! Is there a clear plastic molding (or something similar) that can go over the trim piece? Thank you all - you've been amazing!!! Melinda
Old 08-08-18, 09:43 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Are you talking about the "A" pillar? Where the windshield meets the driver side window?

If yes, then makes me wonder if the prior owner had sustained a crash where the side/curtain airbags had deployed. And then whomever made the repairs DID NOT PROPERLY REPLACE ALL AIRBAGS OR DID NOT CLEAN UP AFTERWARDS?

There is no "grab" handles as typically found in the LX570 (for example) and therefore I see no reason for anyone to grab that area USUALLY. It's just odd to me.

Originally Posted by MHess
Good Morning!
I am new to the group and am seriously challenged when it comes to identifying parts - so my apologies in advance for not describing items correctly. Hopefully you can understand since you are the experts! I just purchased a used 2012 RX350. I want to protect the interior, driver's side molding (that goes around the driver's door window). Dirty hands have already mucked it up! Is there a clear plastic molding (or something similar) that can go over the trim piece? Thank you all - you've been amazing!!! Melinda
Old 08-08-18, 11:24 AM
MHess
Driver School Candidate

Wow - you all are quick! Yes, where windshield meets pillar. Wanting to protect it around the driver's side window, not where the windshield meets the the pillar. Looks like someone was using it to hoist themselves in/out of the vehicle (dirty hand prints). Need clear/hard plastic piece? Lucite? Hmm...
THANK YOU!!!!
Old 08-08-18, 11:34 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Maybe try cleaning with a clean white rag and clear/clean distilled water first (non-cholrine)? Then if still there, then with a clean white rag and mild nonabrasive noncolored soap? After it's all cleaned, maybe apply some 3M Scotch fabric protection spray? I did that for my RX and it worked well.......

Originally Posted by MHess
Wow - you all are quick! Yes, where windshield meets pillar. Wanting to protect it around the driver's side window, not where the windshield meets the the pillar. Looks like someone was using it to hoist themselves in/out of the vehicle (dirty hand prints). Need clear/hard plastic piece? Lucite? Hmm...
THANK YOU!!!!
Old 08-08-18, 11:35 AM
MHess
Driver School Candidate

Thank You! I will do that. Still would like to cover it - rain, dirt, etc. We shall see. Appreciate all of your advice!!
Old 08-08-18, 12:07 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think there is any product like that... to cover it.
After it's cleaned, it should stay clean unless it's still being grabbed there, which I don't think most people do.
My interior is the light tan color and that area still looks good, so I think it should stay clean if not grabbed.
That whole area is just referred to in general as the headliner.
The headliner is kinda a delicate area, so just be cautious when cleaning it. I think it is most important to blot, and not scrub.
You could search for specific headliner cleaners or post in the detailing section and I'm sure people could recommend some good cleaners.
Me personally, my father used to own a janitorial business and he found that Folex is a really good product for carpet spot cleaning.
I've tried other cleaners, but always come back to it for all my carpet/ fabric stains. I have used Folex on my tan headliner with perfect results. I buy it at Home Depot.
It never seems to leave a stain from the cleaner and doesn't need much rubbing... it kinda just magically gets rid of the stain with a little agitation of your fingertips, and then blotting with a towel to soak it up.
It's of course always advised to try on a small inconspicuous spot first and let it dry to see the end result before doing a larger area. Don't use more than you need to, and again, don't scrub.

If you do find that the area is still getting dirty afterward, you could spray a fabric coating or protectant or on it. I wouldn't really recommend this though as they can sometimes change the coloring. I get most of my products from autogeek.net. They have a lot of good info there and can also recommend products if you call in.
Old 08-08-18, 12:57 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 603 Likes on 423 Posts

If you really want to cover it, one idea would be using clear adhesive carpet protector. Basically it's like a slightly thicker version of plastic food wrap but with a sticky side. Not sure how it would look or work where you want though. I, based on posts from years ago, tried using this on the bottom plastic trim piece to keep boots from scratching the plastic during the winter while entering or exiting. It worked fairly well for a few years and looked pretty good, but that was protecting hard plastic. I stopped bothering as my RX got older, but if you have issues with continuing grubby hands for some reason that might be an option.
Old 08-09-18, 04:47 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,208 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I agree with the above post: To clean it get Folex Carpet Cleaner in the pump spray bottle and use a white cotton cloth to rub the dirty areas. It worked wonders on dirt in my RX interior. I learned of it in a detailing forum. Most large grocery stores carry it, maybe even Home Depot or Lowe's. If you cannot find Folex, use some Spot Shot carpet cleaner which is in an aerosol spray can. Both are designed for small dirty areas on carpet and work great on soft car interior areas.

You could try spraying some 3M Fabric Protector on it afterward. I would not cover it as there may be an air bag inside the pillar.
Old 08-09-18, 08:53 AM
MHess
Driver School Candidate

Folex it is! I have a gallon of it in the garage, use it for carpet stains. Glad to hear it works on a car's interior. Thank you all so very, very much for your advice (and patience as I navigate the Lexus waters). May you all have a wonderful rest of the week and an even better weekend!