RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RAV4 to RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 10:49 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow RAV4 to RX350?

Hey everyone,

I've been driving my 2010 RAV4 V6 Sport for a few years now and i'm starting to feel like I want to upgrade to a lexus RX350.

I was curious if anyone of you have driven the RAV4 V6 and RX350 and could give me some of the pros and benefits of the RX over the RAV. I really love the idea of a comfortable ride, my RAV4 isn't very comfortable, the seats have no lumbar support and it aggravates my sciatic nerve quite a bit. I love my RAV4 for the engine and practicality, but I am longing for a more luxurious ride. I feel the RX350 would be the perfect match.

Here's a few questions about the RX that I have.

1. Is it much more comfortable than the RAV4? Seating wise, I drive 1 hour each way to work and I want the miles to be less of a hassle, comfort is the most important thing for me.

2. Is it much quieter than the RAV4? The RAV4 has a lot of road noise.

3. Are there any weird quirks about the RX350 that you like/don't like? For instance, the infotainment system, etc.

4. How's the MPG's and range in the RX? My Rav4 gets about 24 mpg (80/20 HWY/CTY) but only gets about 320 miles. Also what's with the premium fuel? Do you guys run regular a lot on your RX? Notice a power drop, mpg drop when you do that?

5. Any reliability issues? I doubt there are any since the engine is the same as my RAV4 (awesome engine by the way), but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks guys! I'll probably be buying used. The RX checks all my boxes my only gripes with the RX is I feel the interior is a bit outdated (still heaps better than my RAV though) and I wished it had adaptive cruise control (I'm willing to give it up though for a super comfortable ride).
Old 08-16-18, 12:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

You'll definitely notice the RX being quieter than the RAV4. As for comfort, lots more room but you ought to try out the seats to see if they work for you.

Lexus switched to recommending regular unleaded on the 350 starting with the 2012 model year.

FYI - My 2013 RX350 had adaptive cruise. It may be a bit hard to find, but it's definitely out there.
Old 08-16-18, 02:11 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,020 Posts

They no longer offer the V6, your generation 2005 - 2012 was the last with it. From 2013 - 2018 on all RAV4's have only had 4 cylinder motors. I have a few friends with the current generation, one has a 2017 RAV4 Limited and it is every bit as nice or nicer as the 2010 RX350 and just as large inside. Compare the cargo capacity from car reviews and they are about the same! In the Limited the infotainment system is a thousand times better than what the 2010 RX has. With voice command that actually works, a decent Nav system and apps etc. Plus the Toyota safety sense suite of features. The seats are fine in the Limited. It is quiet and drives well. It is a bit slower, but gets better mileage.

I am going to look at one of the redesigned 2019 RAV4's as they should be even better with more mainstream looks. Toyota even has them on their web page. with the hybrid model listed as the sport version as it has the most power. https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehi...V4/?srchid=sem GOOGLE Model_RAV4 RAV4_General_2019_E&gclid=CjwKCAjwwdTbBRAIEiwAYQf_EwKvb76m-ilvgngXi4KMMES36aYBfqFAfqcaYh74g54gnLscyexQWRoCcJkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 08-17-18, 04:27 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

FYI - My 2013 RX350 had adaptive cruise. It may be a bit hard to find, but it's definitely out there.
Took me over a year to find one that had it. It was worth the wait though. I'll never buy another car without "The Button"

Luckily starting with MY2016+ it is a lot easier to find on Lexi.
Old 08-17-18, 06:49 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife and I traded her 2008 Rav4 4x4 V6 in for a 2015 RX350 2 months ago.

Originally Posted by HeroDanny
Hey everyone,

I've been driving my 2010 RAV4 V6 Sport for a few years now and i'm starting to feel like I want to upgrade to a lexus RX350.

I was curious if anyone of you have driven the RAV4 V6 and RX350 and could give me some of the pros and benefits of the RX over the RAV. I really love the idea of a comfortable ride, my RAV4 isn't very comfortable, the seats have no lumbar support and it aggravates my sciatic nerve quite a bit. I love my RAV4 for the engine and practicality, but I am longing for a more luxurious ride. I feel the RX350 would be the perfect match.

Here's a few questions about the RX that I have.

1. Is it much more comfortable than the RAV4? Seating wise, I drive 1 hour each way to work and I want the miles to be less of a hassle, comfort is the most important thing for me. We went from cloth interior to a leather, vented saddle leather color. The Lexus seats are a lot better in comfort and cooler being vented

2. Is it much quieter than the RAV4? The RAV4 has a lot of road noise. Hers is quieter. Tire types have a big impact on road noise

3. Are there any weird quirks about the RX350 that you like/don't like? For instance, the infotainment system, etc. Compared to her Rav, she likes it a lot. Little things like cup holders are not as good in the RX350.

4. How's the MPG's and range in the RX? My Rav4 gets about 24 mpg (80/20 HWY/CTY) but only gets about 320 miles. Also what's with the premium fuel? Do you guys run regular a lot on your RX? Notice a power drop, mpg drop when you do that? We get about the same mileage in the RX as we did the Rav. 23-24 avg

5. Any reliability issues? I doubt there are any since the engine is the same as my RAV4 (awesome engine by the way), but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. The engine is the main reason we bought her the RX350 and my RC350. We have had 4 toyotas with that motor and have put over 100K on all of them, 260K on one and 160K on another. No leaks, no burning and ram great

Thanks guys! I'll probably be buying used. The RX checks all my boxes my only gripes with the RX is I feel the interior is a bit outdated (still heaps better than my RAV though) and I wished it had adaptive cruise control (I'm willing to give it up though for a super comfortable ride).
Old 08-17-18, 08:44 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
They no longer offer the V6, your generation 2005 - 2012 was the last with it. From 2013 - 2018 on all RAV4's have only had 4 cylinder motors.
Sorry I probably worded it wrong. I don't plan on buying another RAV4, I'm either going to keep my current car, or upgrade to a used lexus. I never buy cars brand new because I don't mind used and I would rather not take the depreciation hit.

Old 08-17-18, 08:45 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by louczar
My wife and I traded her 2008 Rav4 4x4 V6 in for a 2015 RX350 2 months ago.

Nice, how do you like it? Was it worth the switch?
Old 08-17-18, 08:47 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
You'll definitely notice the RX being quieter than the RAV4. As for comfort, lots more room but you ought to try out the seats to see if they work for you.

Lexus switched to recommending regular unleaded on the 350 starting with the 2012 model year.

Thank you! I didn't know that! Well, it's probably going to be a while before I find the right RX then, I would definitely like to hold off until I found one with adaptive cruise control and it has to be grey or silver. Also did anything change in 2012 with the engine, fueling, etc.? Or did lexus just officially say they recommend the regular?
Old 08-18-18, 07:43 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Never driven the RAV4 but thought I'd chime in.

There are quite a few complaints on here about the ride in this generation RX. I don't personally find it really bad, but I will say my 2013 and 2017 Passat both ride better, and the 2017 has rubber band tires on it (235/40R19). Hard to recommend without knowing your budget, but if you really want a soft ride, look for one with 18" wheels, or maybe even go down to a 2007-2009, or up to a 2016+. Stay away from the F Sport models, those have a harder suspension and the seats in the 2016+ F Sports are sport seats. I've also heard that seats without the cooling function have a bit more padding (the extra padding was removed to make room for the cooling fan).
The following users liked this post:
HeroDanny (08-20-18)
Old 08-18-18, 09:23 AM
lexicam739
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a Rav4's 2006 and 2013. The 2013 was a Limited AWD. I traded the 2013 Rav4 for a 2014 Highlander Limited AWD. There's a Big difference between them . I really liked the Highlander, more room and better pickup. Then I traded the Highlander for a 2015 RX350 AWD. Now that's a Vehicle. I gave up the 3rd row seating but that was OK. I feel that the RX has better pickup and a nicer ride. Also gave up a little cargo area. I'm glad I made the switch.
Old 08-18-18, 06:12 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

Ever considered NX? If you were comfy in RAV for years, you'd be comfy in NX. Though V6 is V6, that turboed 4 cyl in NX is very agile.
I have NX and RX350 side by side in garage. I commute for well over an hour one way and I can take it in NX seat for entire drive fine. Maybe when it hits 1.5 hr, then I change legs position some. In our RX, legs go numb in about 20 minutes.
Also, you will have a much better mpg in NX.
That RAV you have is rare find. Drive her till wheels fall off. You will NOT find RX to be much more practical over RAV. As you sound like a p practical guy.
Old 08-20-18, 10:38 AM
HeroDanny
Rookie

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Ever considered NX? If you were comfy in RAV for years, you'd be comfy in NX. Though V6 is V6, that turboed 4 cyl in NX is very agile.
I have NX and RX350 side by side in garage. I commute for well over an hour one way and I can take it in NX seat for entire drive fine. Maybe when it hits 1.5 hr, then I change legs position some. In our RX, legs go numb in about 20 minutes.
Also, you will have a much better mpg in NX.
That RAV you have is rare find. Drive her till wheels fall off. You will NOT find RX to be much more practical over RAV. As you sound like a p practical guy.

Yeah I do love my RAV4. I especially love how the outside looks. I just hate how the interior is, very basic and like I said the seats are uncomfortable. There's no lumbar support. Also I just kind of want to have a nice interior, a screen for the radio would be nice, with bluetooth. Heated/cooled/powered seats would be a nice change (with comfort) I'm only 26 years old but my RAV4 makes me feel old because of the sciatic nerve pains. (having adaptive cruise control would be so nice for that).

I'm 5'8 so maybe my legs would be better suited for the RX than yours since i'm short? I guess it goes without saying that i'm going to need to test drive all of these. Although the problems like that usually arise after multiple hours on the road. (My RAV4 felt comfortable when I did the test ride on that car).

The reason why I've always wanted a Lexus is because of the reliability & luxury. I would consider other brands but I really don't want any issues and anything that's not toyota or lexus kinda puts me off.

My budget is no more than $20 grand (i'm buying used). I know that limits me to the used market, which i'm totally fine with.

This is a picture of my RAV4
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (08-21-18)
Old 08-20-18, 10:45 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HeroDanny
Although the problems like that usually arise after multiple hours on the road. (My RAV4 felt comfortable when I did the test ride on that car).
I use apps like GetAround and Turo, if you're in the right area you can rent these cars for a few days. Pricier than normal car rentals, but you get the car you want to evaluate...small price to pay to weed out back pain for the next few years.
Old 08-20-18, 02:39 PM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RX will be a much heavier vehicle and offering a smooth ride. NX will offer better mileage but it burns premium. 2012+ RX350 will take regular but 450h requires premium.
Aside from a smoother ride and more luxury, you won't get anything new vs the v6 Rav4. The practical side would say hang onto that Rav4 for a bit longer. But if you're itching for some luxury and can spare $20k without debt, then it doesn't hurt.
Heck I upgraded to the RX from a Venza which is an even smaller upgrade.
Old 08-20-18, 03:36 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

Donno. I am 6 4 1/2 and fit into NX pretty decently. Seat is all the way back, of course. The ONLY gripe I have with seating is that arm rest is way too high and I hit my elbow into its side all the time.
Wife has RX350. It's a very nice car, but it's a cow. Yes, yes, has nice acceleration, has very nice V6, but it just feels like a cow. I am actually in a loaner ES350 for day or two, and it's a grand car. Totally fine but.... I actually like my NX better.
I have my issues with NX. Infotainment is from something like 70s, it's so slow. But, otherwise, it's a darn fast car, especially in Sport mode. That it takes 92 octane, that's fine. You do your math between 30 mpg on 92 octane and 19 on 87. Even if it's true that past 2012 RX takes regular gas, as I somehow doubt.

Quick Reply: RAV4 to RX350?