RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is Navigation Hard Disk Drive Replaceable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18 | 06:31 PM
Tryer
Driver School Candidate

Default Is Navigation Hard Disk Drive Replaceable?

The hard disk drive used for the navigation system is likely to fail at some point several years before the end of the life of the vehicle (assuming the vehicle is expected to be on the road for about 20 years before ending up in an auto wrecking yard).
In 10 years from now, they may no longer be updating the map data for this generation RX, but I assume the hard drive still needs to function regardless or you will just see an error on the screen and won't be able to use any other functions in the nav system menus. (Will the backup camera even work with a busted hard drive?)
Can the disk drive by itself be replaced out of warranty or would they have to replace the "entire system" at a cost of multiple thousands of dollars?
Old 09-04-18 | 11:47 AM
Clutchless

Good questions to ask a Lexus dealer.
I would never invest that much money for such a repair in a vehicle that would be that old at that time.
Old 09-05-18 | 04:58 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tryer
The hard disk drive used for the navigation system is likely to fail at some point several years before the end of the life of the vehicle (assuming the vehicle is expected to be on the road for about 20 years before ending up in an auto wrecking yard).
In 10 years from now, they may no longer be updating the map data for this generation RX, but I assume the hard drive still needs to function regardless or you will just see an error on the screen and won't be able to use any other functions in the nav system menus. (Will the backup camera even work with a busted hard drive?)
Can the disk drive by itself be replaced out of warranty or would they have to replace the "entire system" at a cost of multiple thousands of dollars?
On Parts.com the "Hard drive" is a subassembly part in the parts diagram so it can be replaceabled just as a sub-assembly compared to the WHOLE nav system. However, it has a msrp of $1999 and sells for $1400.

At my local Lexus dealer, the service adviser even stopped advising me to update the maps and told me to save my money and just use my phone or get a standalone gps.

Last edited by raytseng; 09-05-18 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-14-22 | 09:26 AM
maximil
Driver School Candidate

Hello, you bring up very good questions on this topic. My friend uninstalled the hard disk in his car because the disk was not working properly, so his camera is still working but without any recording function. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on the hard disk replacement, you can also try to address the hard disk recovery services. Just google the following sentence data recovery services near me, and I'm sure you will find a proper service.

Last edited by maximil; 04-21-22 at 01:53 AM.