RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX 350 engine tapping noise when idling

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 09:00 AM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX 350 engine tapping noise when idling

Hello Everyone,
I am new owner of 2015 RX 350 just brought used on Aug.2018 with 77,000 Km, the car still in good shape but I heard some tapping noise from the engine during idling while I walk outside the car and didn't hear any noise from inside car. Then I bring my car to the dealership in Victoria, British Columbia. The service manger said it's the high pressure fuel pump generated the noise because I fuel up cheap unleaded gas from Costco and nothing they can fix the tapping noise problem.
From my 40 years driving experience, the tapping noise may be come out from engine valve or oil pump or fuel pump. I have owned so many car never have problem by fueling unleaded gas from Costco.

I am appreciated some one can answer my problem/

Thanks
Patrick

Old 10-23-18, 11:02 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Deleted my earlier response since I somehow missed the part about the fuel pump and went off on a tangent about engine knock, my bad.

However, I would still have to recommend asking the service manager what gas you should be buying, filling up with a tank of it, and see what happens. I'm guessing you'll still have the noise since I see no way this could be what he says, and can bring the thing back making the noise running on the gas he told you to buy
Old 10-23-18, 11:46 AM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tus
Deleted my earlier response since I somehow missed the part about the fuel pump and went off on a tangent about engine knock, my bad.

However, I would still have to recommend asking the service manager what gas you should be buying, filling up with a tank of it, and see what happens. I'm guessing you'll still have the noise since I see no way this could be what he says, and can bring the thing back making the noise running on the gas he told you to buy
Thank for the recommendation to ask the service manager what type of gas to reduce the engine tapping noise (you are right about engine knocking noise ).
I really upset about Lexus engineer who design the engine can't auto adjust the engine timing for any regular unleaded gasoline with a Octane #97.
In that case the gasoline from Costco may not have a real Octane #97, but why for other cars that I have (2006 Nissan X-trail, 2013 Toyota Prius V and 2016 Honda CRV) and they all don't have that engine knocking noise.
Anyway i will try other gasoline from Chevron, or Petro-Canada or Shell and see what's the result.
Old 10-23-18, 12:29 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VictPatman
Thank for the recommendation to ask the service manager what type of gas to reduce the engine tapping noise (you are right about engine knocking noise ).
I really upset about Lexus engineer who design the engine can't auto adjust the engine timing for any regular unleaded gasoline with a Octane #97.
In that case the gasoline from Costco may not have a real Octane #97, but why for other cars that I have (2006 Nissan X-trail, 2013 Toyota Prius V and 2016 Honda CRV) and they all don't have that engine knocking noise.
Anyway i will try other gasoline from Chevron, or Petro-Canada or Shell and see what's the result.
I think the engineer did his job right when it comes down to detecting a knock and adjusting things, and what you're hearing has nothing to do with the quality of gas, the fuel pump, or engine knock.

In any case, the fuel pump running cheap gas has nothing to do with the sound. Given that the pump is in the gas tank, you would be more likely to hear the sound in the car than outside of it and it would be coming from the back of the car not under the hood.

Without hearing the thing I honestly can't tell you what's wrong and since I have a 450h I don't think I would know what sounds are normal for a 350.

As a guess, and keep in mind I have absolutely nothing to back up this theory, I would guess that you are hearing hydraulic lifter noise, which in some cases is caused by using the wrong weight oil in the thing, but in most cases cause no real problems.

As the long time owner of a first generation Miata, I can tell you many new owners will hear hydraulic lifters for the first time in the old cars and immediately think something is wrong.
Old 10-23-18, 02:32 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Your model year is the 4th gen Lexus, and I'm guessing it may be the sound of the injectors. Unlike the Gen 3 and earlier engines, the Gen 4 engines have direct injection, i.e. gasoline fuel is injected directly inside the combustion chamber. The sound of the injectors is quite distinct, and a metallic tapping sort of sound - I would describe it as a ticking sort of sound. This is most noticeable at idle to those with sensitive ears - so the good news is that you have fine hearing!

When I was shopping for a Lexus IS250, I noticed this metallic ticking sound on all the vehicles that I examined. It's only obvious when you are standing outside the vehicle, not heard at all when inside the cabin.

You could try different fuel, particularly premium branded fuel, which may have additives that could help quieten down the injectors. However I think the mild tapping/ticking sound at idle is a characteristic of direct injection engines. I am on the side of your Lexus service advisor on this issue.

At least, get it noted down in your service records that you raised this concern, if your vehicle is still under warranty, so that if there's an actual underlying fault that occurs down the track, you can produce evidence that it happened whilst the vehicle was inside the warranty period.

Last edited by tempestv8; 10-23-18 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tus (10-24-18)
Old 10-23-18, 04:48 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,192 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Costco gas has nothing to do with your noise which as others stated is likely from direct injection, or just fuel injector or lifter noise, notyhing to be concerned about. You cannot hear it in the car. It is normal.
Costco gas is now top tier. It has all the additives of Chevron, Exxon, BP etc. I bet your car does have a knock sensor to auto adjust timing for gas variations, they have been standard on most vehicles for over 20 years!
Old 10-24-18, 02:04 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

We use COSTCO gas exclusively for years and both of our Lexi have no tapping noise.
It boils down to simple question - do you have GDI engine or not? As there was model change in 2015. So you may or may not have 2GR-FKS engine, which is direct injection one. Dual DI, actually, with two injectors per cylinder and they do get noisy. Also, they come with a high pressure fuel pump that is also noisy.
Those engines do not have hydraulic lifters, as far as I know. Sort of not a Toyota thing.
Old 10-30-18, 12:24 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I am surprised that between the 3RX forum and the Lexus dealer that there is so much misinformation. The 2015 RX350 does not have any of the following:
- direct injection
- 2 injectors per cylinder
- high pressure fuel pump
- a requirement to use any type of premium fuel

In short, it's probably your valvetrain that is making noise. It has been talked about a lot on these forums and the consensus seems to be, just get used to it, that's just how this Toyota v6 is.

Last edited by N4TECguy; 10-30-18 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-30-18, 03:22 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, maybe.
Thing is, 2015 was a year, when new model lineup was introduced.
2015 through current.
Before, it was
all the way into 2015 models.
Then, for the same year models, it became:
3.5 L 2GR FKS gasoline
3.5L 2GR FXS hybrid and
2.0 L 8AR FTS turbo
With 2GR FKS being dual injected GDI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX

All we know is OP has 2015 model - but which one? Made in 2014? Early 2015? Late 2015 with new engine?
Old 10-30-18, 03:33 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Well, maybe.
Thing is, 2015 was a year, when new model lineup was introduced.
2015 through current.
Before, it was
all the way into 2015 models.
Then, for the same year models, it became:
3.5 L 2GR FKS gasoline
3.5L 2GR FXS hybrid and
2.0 L 8AR FTS turbo
With 2GR FKS being dual injected GDI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX

All we know is OP has 2015 model - but which one? Made in 2014? Early 2015? Late 2015 with new engine?
The article clearly states that the model was introduced in Calendar year 2015, as a Model year 2016 vehicle. Vehicles are referred to by Model year, and not the year in which they are bought. My friend bought a brand new, unregistered 2017 Ford 3 months ago (well into 2018) and sales of the 2014 Mazda6 started January 2013.

Lexus info corroborates this

I stand by what I said...there is no ambiguity in this situation
Old 10-30-18, 06:15 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

As to the year that a vehicle is purchased, many car manufacturers, including Lexus, may chose to release their next year spec not by the calendar year. So it's quite possible to purchase a MY16 spec vehicle in the late part of 2015. So it's definitely ambiguous as to whether we are referring to a 3rd gen or 4th gen RX, The Lexus information corroborates this - notice the article on the MY16 4th Gen Lexus was written in Sept of 2015.

To the original poster, Patrick: You will need to clear up whether you have the 3rd gen RX or the 4th gen RX so we all know which engine we are talking about.

If indeed you have the superseeded 3rd generation RX, it should not be making distinct ticking noises at idle when listening to the engine from the outside, with the hood shut.
Old 11-02-18, 02:53 PM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Where can I find out what type of engine in my 2015 RX350 and which generation falling into 3rd or 4th??
After I read all the people reply to me that I may have engine knocking noise or valve lifter noise instead of tapping noise.
recently I fuel up with full tank of premium unleaded gasoline and the noise quite a little bit but the knocking noise still there if I listen very carefully.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 11-04-18, 05:55 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,192 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I am surprised one does not know which generation vehicle they own and how the generations are divided since it is plainly displayed in the way the sub forums are divided. This may help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX

Since you are under warranty and they said the noise is nothing to worry about, why are you still worrying. Eventually you will get used to the new to you noises of your new vehicle and ignore them like everyone else. Then when you get another vehicle with different noises you will again be disturbed for a while. Happens to everyone, you just appear more sensitive to these sounds. I doubt your vehicle is much or any louder than any other.

In any event I would given your mileage and complaints and history above, consider getting a fuel system induction cleaning service (aka carbon depletion service) (BG makes nice machines that do this) as it may help reduce the noise by cleaning out the injectors, intake valves, intake, piston tops etc. Then get another oil change.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-04-18 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-04-18, 08:55 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I am surprised one does not know which generation vehicle they own and how the generations are divided since it is plainly displayed in the way the sub forums are divided. This may help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX
How could you blame them, just look at the replies he got from senior members of this forums. It's crazy that when someone says they have a ”2015 RX350,” that they get told it might be a 4th generation. And then those senior members continue to argue with me that it might be a 4th gen, even after I posted links from Lexus to dispute that...
Old 11-04-18, 02:08 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
How could you blame them, just look at the replies he got from senior members of this forums. It's crazy that when someone says they have a ”2015 RX350,” that they get told it might be a 4th generation. And then those senior members continue to argue with me that it might be a 4th gen, even after I posted links from Lexus to dispute that...
I kinda have to agree. I've been reading this and thinking it's kinda silly. A 2015 is a 3rd gen. If it was a 4th gen model that was sold in 2015, it would have been sold as a 2016 model.
Now that that's settled, anyone have any other ideas to help them? Maybe you can upload a video of the noise?

Quick Reply: 2015 RX 350 engine tapping noise when idling