RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

reset after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-18, 08:20 PM
Trav80015
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reset after battery replacement

If I replace my battery can I also reset the computer or do I have to take it to dealer
Old 11-05-18, 04:36 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

Never heard of a vehicle that must be reset by a dealership after having its battery replaced. What does your owners manual say?
Old 11-05-18, 09:47 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

No. ************************************
Old 11-05-18, 06:16 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Trav80015
If I replace my battery can I also reset the computer or do I have to take it to dealer
If I understood your question properly, No, you don't need to reset it at the dealer however, you will lose your seat memory setting, radio presets and most notably, the engine-transmission might feel different for a few kilometers until they re-learn your driving/shifting pattern.
Old 11-05-18, 07:29 PM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't lose anything. Memory seat, radio presets.. etc.. nothing was reset when I replaced my battery. The battery was probably disconnected for 10 minutes?
I do have Navigation, not sure if the settings might be saved on the HDD? No idea how non-navs work.
Old 11-06-18, 04:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

You are good, nothing else to do.
Old 11-06-18, 08:12 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kezgao
I didn't lose anything. Memory seat, radio presets.. etc.. nothing was reset when I replaced my battery. The battery was probably disconnected for 10 minutes?
I do have Navigation, not sure if the settings might be saved on the HDD? No idea how non-navs work.
I'm really curious to know how the vehicle kept all settings intact while there was no battery. On my older 2nd Gen RX330, the vehicle lost all settings every time the battery was disconnected. I haven't had to do that on my 3rd Gen RX350 but expected to be the same.
Old 11-06-18, 04:35 PM
slawless
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

BMWs use "advanced gel mat batteries" the way the car charges the battery changes over time to adjust for the aging of the battery. So if you put a new battery in and don't properly code the car, the new battery will die in 6 months. Other cars may have similar systems.

Fortunately for us our RXs just need a new battery dropped in.
Old 10-23-19, 02:27 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My battery failed yesterday and I went to O'Reilly's and it said in the notes the dealer would have to use a scan tool to reset.

So I went to Napa and got one of their Legend batteries for $145 OTD and just dropped it in and started it up and no CELs or warnings but I did lose seat and steering wheel memory and radio stations. It held all my saved stuff in the Nav.
Old 12-07-19, 04:46 PM
ribster197
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation battery replacement

hello All,
it looks like time to replace the battery on my 2013 rx350.

1. Is it simply that I can replace it myself or take it in somewhere ( someone mention that I could damage sensors doing it myself)
2 if I do it myself , how do I save all my memory settings, and if I lose memory settings what am I losing.

Thanks C.L fans
Old 12-08-19, 05:48 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,158 Likes on 988 Posts

You can do it yourself. You cannot damage anything unless you manage to put the negative cable on the positive terminal etc.

Red = Positive terminal and Black = Negative terminal.

OR many of the large chain auto parts stores that sell batteries in the US will provide you with a free installation in the parking lot when you buy the battery. I am sure it is probably the same in Canada.

If you replace it yourself, just work fast on the part where you pull out the old battery and put the new one in and re-connect the cables. If you can do this in under a minute or two, you will not lose any settings.
The trick is to first disconnect and remove the battery hold down piece. Then loosen the cables but don't remove them until both cables are loose, then remove the cables and then the battery and put it on the ground then grab your new battery and place it in the car and slide the cables on the terminals. Then you can take your time installing the hold down piece and tightening the cables.
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (12-09-19)
Old 12-08-19, 08:50 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 327 Posts

^^ What he said. This has worked every time for me on any vehicle we have ever owned. Just be quick about getting the old battery out and the new battery in.
Old 12-08-19, 10:54 AM
ribster197
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You can do it yourself. You cannot damage anything unless you manage to put the negative cable on the positive terminal etc.

Red = Positive terminal and Black = Negative terminal.

OR many of the large chain auto parts stores that sell batteries in the US will provide you with a free installation in the parking lot when you buy the battery. I am sure it is probably the same in Canada.

If you replace it yourself, just work fast on the part where you pull out the old battery and put the new one in and re-connect the cables. If you can do this in under a minute or two, you will not lose any settings.
The trick is to first disconnect and remove the battery hold down piece. Then loosen the cables but don't remove them until both cables are loose, then remove the cables and then the battery and put it on the ground then grab your new battery and place it in the car and slide the cables on the terminals. Then you can take your time installing the hold down piece and tightening the cables.
Thank you Clutchless
Old 12-09-19, 07:26 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Or, you can use an OBD II Memory Saver, and not hurry. Google it, they're cheap.
Old 12-09-19, 01:25 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

My trickle charger has a feature that you can plug it in on the cigarette lighter outlet and you can save you preset memory when you change the battery. The OBD Memory Saver requires a power source. Google it. Saves all your preset.

Quick Reply: reset after battery replacement