RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone use Amazon basics Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 12:23 PM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone use Amazon basics Oil?

Just came across the product. I won't be needing to change my oil for another 9,000 miles, but was curious if anyone had used it. From what I can tell is it meets the necessary standards. Some savings from Mobil 1 jug at Walmart.
Old 12-07-18, 12:52 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 418 Likes on 334 Posts

I assume you are talking about 0W-20 full synthetic. If it meets the required specs, it will be in compliance and you should be good to go.

I have used Castrol for decades and can always find better deals on Castrol 0W-20 than on Mobil 1. I will run Castrol in our recently-acquired 2015 RX350.
Old 12-07-18, 01:00 PM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX in NC
I assume you are talking about 0W-20 full synthetic. If it meets the required specs, it will be in compliance and you should be good to go.

I have used Castrol for decades and can always find better deals on Castrol 0W-20 than on Mobil 1. I will run Castrol in our recently-acquired 2015 RX350.
You are correct about the weight and compliance. And agreed. Castrol is usually a little cheaper. I used Castrol in my first car, a Nissan Altima, and never had any issues. I was able to get the jugs with a $12 rebate from Mobil, and from reading other posts it is what the dealer uses, just rebranded.

I'm not sure if I will go the amazon, but in the meantime wanted to hear any first hand accounts.
Old 12-07-18, 01:30 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

There seem to be a number of threads on it over at BITOG. From just skimming a few threads they seem to think the numbers look good but that it's not competitively priced considering equivalent options out there from other sources.
Old 12-08-18, 11:42 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,169 Likes on 997 Posts

You are better off just going to Wal-Mart and getting the least expensive 0w20 oil if price is your main objective. Wal-Mart Supertech oil is probably similarly priced. Not sure who makes it. The bonus is most Wal-Mart stores have the K&N oil filter for our vehicle at a great price. It has a synthetic element and similar design to OEM, thus no plastic end caps to restrict oil flow.
The Amazon oil is made by Warren oil a reputable company who also makes house brand oils for Auto Zone and Advance Auto. I have used their MAG 1 brand low full synthetic viscosity ATF in my RX for several drain and fills and it works great. Shifts better than ever at 65,000 miles.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-08-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-08-18, 02:05 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Clutchless,

What process did you use to do an ATF drain-and-fill? Were you underneath the car using a hand pump through a fill plug hole in the pan? And when doing so, did you have someone else sitting in the drivers seat shifting through the gears with the engine running? And how many quarts of the old ATF actually drained out?
Old 12-09-18, 05:17 AM
Clutchless

I do not want this oil thread to turn into another transmission thread, I was just commenting that the Amazon oil was high quality. I have used the Warren oil made Car Quest branded oil (Advance Auto Parts house brand, also Car Quest which they own) in my niece's ES350 and in an old Honda and it appears to be just fine.

Regarding the transmission fluid change, I did a cold (overnight sit) drain and fill. About 2 quarts drain at a time. You first remove the drain plug, then the overflow tube that sits inside the drain plug hole. I think both take a 4, 5 or 6 mm Allen wrench. The fill plug is on the side of the transmission and is reached through the driver side wheel well. You have to remove a small flap piece toward the front of the wheel well lining. I used a long funnel and hose to fill it up. Carefully measure the drained amount and replace that plus a few ounces more for spill/drain loss. I have done this many times on both the RX350 and my old 2009 MINI Cooper S that had a similar Aisin transmission.

See this thread for more details as it has been discussed over and over...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html

Finally there is a VW tool that allows you to fill it up through the drain hole but it is a pain in the butt to use and makes a mess and I had a hard time being sure I put back in the correct amount of fluid, so I sold it. VW has several models that use a similar Aisin transmission. I only used it on the MINI Cooper as it did not have an actual fill hole, but a bolt for something else that was used to fill it. It was a very small hole that was hard to access and took a long time to fill, unlike the Lexus version which has an actual fill hole.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-09-18 at 05:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RX in NC (12-09-18)
Old 12-09-18, 06:51 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Clutchless,

I appreciate your input regarding ATF drain-and-fills for my wife's 2015 RX350. There is no such animal as "lifetime fluid" for ANY vehicle application. My wife's two previous RXs (a 2000 RX300 and a 2004 RX330), her Jaguar, and my Subaru have all benefitted greatly from my DIY ATF drain-and-fills performed every 30,000 to 50,000 miles depending upon the specific vehicle. The previous RXs and my Subaru were/are easy because they had/have conventional dipsticks so you pull the drain plug, drain the pan, replace the drain plug, and fill through the dipstick tube. A 20-minute job and you are done. Her Jaguar is similar to the RX350 because they have no dipstick so the fresh ATF must be pumped in from below while the pan measures a specific temperature as read by a handheld laser thermometer.. But her Jaguar drains about 5 quarts each time, not just 2 quarts as the RX350 apparently does. So as you said, doing a couple of drain-and-fills a week or so apart on the RX350 will be my plan. I just need to decide on an interval. Her RX350 currently has about 33,700 miles. I may do the initial ATF drain-and-fills as part of the 40,000-mile service and then stick with that interval going forward. I will use Toyota WS ATF while the vehicle remains under the factory warranty just to protect myself.

Again, thanks for all the ATF drain-and-fill information you have posted. It will serve as my reference point for the procedure. If you have any additional information or advice to share, please send me a PM. Like you, I do not want to start any additional flame-outs on the forum from folks who disagree with servicing a "lifetime" transmission.
Old 12-09-18, 09:53 AM
Clutchless

Once you do your first RX350 ATF drain and fill it will take about 20 mintues the next time. I do it annually. It is easier to get at the fill hole if you remove the left front tire! I think you could drain more fluid by unhooking one of the trans oil cooler lines and letting that drain. I am not sure if all models have a trans oil cooler or only the towing package.
The following users liked this post:
RX in NC (12-10-18)
Old 12-24-18, 10:50 AM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You are better off just going to Wal-Mart and getting the least expensive 0w20 oil if price is your main objective. Wal-Mart Supertech oil is probably similarly priced. Not sure who makes it. The bonus is most Wal-Mart stores have the K&N oil filter for our vehicle at a great price. It has a synthetic element and similar design to OEM, thus no plastic end caps to restrict oil flow.
The Amazon oil is made by Warren oil a reputable company who also makes house brand oils for Auto Zone and Advance Auto. I have used their MAG 1 brand low full synthetic viscosity ATF in my RX for several drain and fills and it works great. Shifts better than ever at 65,000 miles.
Purchased the K&N filter from amazon. I had also read about supertech. If the timing is right, I'll go the same route, but do thank you for your input. Also for being considerate about eh trans fluid, but that was something i was also researching.
Old 02-25-19, 12:21 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

for the sake of adding to this older discussion Amazon basics 0w20 is just branded Warren oil which is the same supplier of Walmart's SuperTech line. Supertech 0w20 comes in a high mileage formula (likely additives for seals).. and a Dexos 1 Gen2 formula. Both priced about the same at $15-16 depending on your area. Considerable savings for a synthetic meeting the manual specs. https://pqiablog.com/2018/10/09/pqia...e-more-brands/