RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

someone broke my window glass! Need some info

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 03:49 PM
sz8
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default someone broke my window glass! Need some info

My 2013 RX350 was left in a parking lot for 2 hours with a lunch bag (nice looking one) left on passenger seat.
Someone hit the side window with sharp objects and seriously damaged the glass (shown in the pic). Luckily, the
window was not broken through and the stuff in the car is intact.

Now I need to replace the window. Also the chrome strip at the bottom side of the window has a dent (looks it is called
belt trim). I know I need to remove the door internal trim to get to the glass. But for that belt trim, any one has a clue to remove it?
Also, is there anything I need to be careful with when removing the door internal trim? I think a picture from manufacturer manual will be
helpful.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by sz8; 12-14-18 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 06:55 PM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

Why are you not going through insurance claim and repair? Even if you have a high deductible, I think it will cost you more to DIY .. unless you can find all the parts through a recycler.

Since it is not an accident, your insurance premium should not go up.

Salim
Old 12-14-18, 08:03 PM
sz8
Driver

My insurance deductible is $1000. I estimates the repair cost is lower or around that by the dealer. I can get all parts myself for $300. Replacing the glass seems not that hard. Not sure about the belt trim. Thanks

Originally Posted by salimshah
Why are you not going through insurance claim and repair? Even if you have a high deductible, I think it will cost you more to DIY .. unless you can find all the parts through a recycler.

Since it is not an accident, your insurance premium should not go up.

Salim
Old 12-15-18, 12:48 AM
salimshah

Received 1,057 Likes on 954 Posts

My estimate is 1500 - 1800 with OEM new glass & labor.

Also check the deductible for non-collision. Also check your home insurance coverage.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-15-18 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-15-18, 06:17 AM
SilverRX30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus glass retail price is about 445 for right side front passenger window

Lexus labor is about 1.5 hours for this job, taking apart your inside door, removing the broken glass, and installation of the new window glass.

See if u can purchase the glass yourself and have it shipped to your dealer. Part number is 68101-0E051. Google that and a bunch of sites will show up. Lexus glass will be the most expensive and your insurance prolly won’t pay for that. They will pay about 245.00 for cheaper glass without Lexus logo and perhaps lesser quality. Labor is about 1 hr per insurance company at a ridiculous rate. Dealer will charge you MSRP for the glass.

I went through the window replacement scenario but mine was on the driver’s side for a rock chip which ended up splitting the window in half. Good Luck!
Old 12-15-18, 07:20 AM
sz8
Driver

Salimshah/SilverRx30: thanks for the info. I actually already bought a OEM glass from ebay for less than $200 (taken from a 2015 model). The glass would cost
$335 + shipping from lexuspartsnow. I also got the belt trim for $80 from the lexus parts. From the youtube video, changing glass seems not that hard. But I need
to know the exterior trim replacement procedure.

My insurance deductible is same for non-collision damage. And I think it is pretty high

I've done window regulator change (similar to changing glasses) many times for my Toyota Sienna/Camry. So, I think I should be ok on that. But I just want to check
with the guys here to get some more tips. Thanks again.

Last edited by sz8; 12-15-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-15-18, 08:27 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

Maybe ask a body shop for an estimate for them just to replace the trim.
Old 12-15-18, 09:09 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 331 Posts

Good luck on the DIY repair. Let us know how it goes. I would definitely disconnect the battery to keep the window regulator from inadvertently operating and taking your fingers off.
Old 12-15-18, 11:11 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If nobody knows how to do it, you could always sign up for a 2 day subscription to the Toyota TIS site for something like $25. They should show the replacement procedure there with a diagram. That's what I do every time I have a project that's a little more complicated.
Old 12-15-18, 11:34 AM
sz8
Driver

Good consideration. But window needs to be adjusted up/down to lineup the holes for bolts access for removal/installation.
Originally Posted by RX in NC
Good luck on the DIY repair. Let us know how it goes. I would definitely disconnect the battery to keep the window regulator from inadvertently operating and taking your fingers off.
Old 12-15-18, 11:39 AM
sz8
Driver

Thanks. Will consider that. I will first check if I can figure that out by looking at the new part once I receive it.

Originally Posted by 14RX350
If nobody knows how to do it, you could always sign up for a 2 day subscription to the Toyota TIS site for something like $25. They should show the replacement procedure there with a diagram. That's what I do every time I have a project that's a little more complicated.
Old 12-15-18, 11:44 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

seems like you could post a nice tutorial with pics informing others how this is done. I hope that you'll contribute to the growth of the CL community by posting a how-to on this. good luck!
Old 12-15-18, 02:35 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,163 Likes on 991 Posts

I would see if youtube has any other Toyota/Lexus window glass replacement videos as most of them will be the same or very similar to the RX. If anything one of their many window regulator replacement videos should help. I bet the Camry is almost the same.
Old 12-20-18, 05:48 PM
sz8
Driver

Default fixed with update

Ok, I finally got the belt trim yesterday in addition to the glass I ordered from ebay. Today, I spent something like 2.5 hours to replace the glass and the trim. I took my time since I don't want to break anything. Youtube has very good videos on replacing the glass, I will not put too much details here, but rather give some tips on replacing the glass and some details on replacing the trim. By the way, I did not find detailed procedures for replacing the belt trim for my car on Internet.

Since my car glass was tinted, I actually pre-tinted when the glass is out. Much easier this way!

This is the trim I ordered:

Now follow the youtube to take out the internal door trim. Not many tricks here but you do not need to open up all water protecting plastic cover like shown in youtub video. You only need to open the lower part just enough to access screws that hold the glass to the regulator. Adjust regular as needed to let screws line up with the openings.

After the screws are removed, you can pull out the glass from OUTSIDE. Just slowly derail it and pull it out.

Now, I will remove the old damaged belt trim. I thought removing it after glass is out is easier. But it turns out it does not matter. As you can see from the trim picture, it has 5 clips and 1 hook.
This is how the clips look (with a dent since this is my old trim).

This is how the hook looks:

The hook is in front side of the car. To remove the trim, you first remove the clips by prying the trim up and use your hands to help pulling the trim up. However, for that hook, it is not possible to pull it up without breaking it.TIP: at front side of the door, there is a triangular plastic piece covering the hook. Just pry it open a bit (no need to pry it off), and use another flat prying tool to disengage the hook. At the same time, you can pull the trim up:

Here is my final result :

Last edited by sz8; 12-20-18 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-20-18, 06:31 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

wow, awesome! great work! looks perfect!
thanks for posting pics and details!

Quick Reply: someone broke my window glass! Need some info