RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Transmission Cap O-ring

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18 | 12:17 PM
Remotecont
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission Cap O-ring

Hello fellow members! I have a 2010 RX350 and the dealer told me I had to replace a leaky Transmission Cap O-ring. I told them I could do this myself and purchased the O-ring. I cannot find anything online showing the location of this part and can see the drain plug at the bottom of the pan as well as the fill/level check plug on the side of the transmission through the wheel well. When I have seen these side plugs and since I don't see (and didn't expect to see) a transmission dipstick since it has a side plug, I don't understand why there would be any other sort of cap on top of the transmission that requires an o-ring. Even if it was, it wouldn't be impossible to find/difficult to access. To me an O-ring is used instead of a gasket if it is meant to be accesseed. Also, everything I can see on the transmission is dry as can be, so not sure where a leak would be.

Anyway, did Lexus make a mistake by saying this part is needed? Is this part/issue something from Gen 2 vehicles which would include the prior model year? Please help!!

thanks in advance,

Ken
Old 12-18-18 | 01:31 PM
Clutchless

You can proceed 2 ways with this,
1.ask the dealer where this alleged leak and O ring are located, have them show it to you.
2. Go to this website which has great exploded drawings of the parts, enter your part number and maybe you can tell from the drawing where it is located. https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...hoCNiIQAvD_BwE

How much did they want to install it? How much was the part? Please post the part number and a photo.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-18-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-18-18 | 05:41 PM
salimshah

Do you see any leaks or accumulation of grime as you examine the transmission?

Where did you get the part number? Search may lead you to the location.. I think Clutchless is alluding to this.

Salim
Old 12-18-18 | 06:41 PM
Remotecont
Driver School Candidate

Hello - the part # is 96711-24030 and it is an o-ring. I tried searching at the link you provided but it seemed to be bringing up a manual transmission as the option. I think I am not searching correctly. It did say that this part (o-ring) is for a speedometer hole or block off plate (again though it seemed to be for a manual transmission).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Ken
Old 12-18-18 | 06:43 PM
Remotecont
Driver School Candidate

The transmission is clean enough to eat off of (at least the parts you can see from the side through the wheel well and the bottom where the pan is) the part number is right off the invoice from the Lexus Dealership.

I don't have the oring with me so I can take a picture, but it is like 1.5 inches in diameter.

Thanks again,

Ken
Old 12-19-18 | 05:59 AM
Clutchless

Try pulling up the transmission parts drawings for your RX350 model year and scan the parts lists for the O Ring number, then look for it on the corresponding drawing above the list.

Here I think I found it in this link http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/part_d...3&part=1580236

I Googled the part number and results state it is for the speedometer sensor and/or speedometer driven hole cover and it costs under $3. I also saw photos and it is a basic O ring.

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-19-18 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-19-18 | 06:14 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Remotecont
The transmission is clean enough to eat off of (at least the parts you can see from the side through the wheel well and the bottom where the pan is) the part number is right off the invoice from the Lexus Dealership.

I don't have the oring with me so I can take a picture, but it is like 1.5 inches in diameter.

Thanks again,

Ken
If there is no sign of leak, then the suggested repair is 'not needed' imho

I would say leave it alone.

Salim
Old 12-19-18 | 06:16 AM
RX in NC
Racer

^^ What he said....
Old 12-19-18 | 01:52 PM
Remotecont
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Try pulling up the transmission parts drawings for your RX350 model year and scan the parts lists for the O Ring number, then look for it on the corresponding drawing above the list.

Here I think I found it in this link http://jp-carparts.com/toyota/part_d...3&part=1580236

I Googled the part number and results state it is for the speedometer sensor and/or speedometer driven hole cover and it costs under $3. I also saw photos and it is a basic O ring.
Clutchless - the part number is for the $3 oring (Dealer charged me $6), but I think it has wide application. I think the link you provided is for a 90's lexus and picture shows a transmission dipstick which I definitely don't have. As for the other comment about not fixing something that doesn't need fixing, I didn't see this part anywhere when looking at the transmission so trying to figure out where to look for the leak that supposedly exists. At least now realizing this is supposed to be for a speedo gear housing makes more sense to me. When it said "transmission Cap O-ring" it didn't make sense. I will take the wheel off and look again on top of the transmission with a mirror to see if I can find it.

thanks again!

Ken
Old 12-20-18 | 03:50 AM
Non
Intermediate

I think it's possible that the dealer was simply dishonest, and tried to sell bogus service to make a couple hundred dollars.
The first think I would do is call a couple of other Lexus dealers, and tell them that your local mechanic said that you need to replace the transmission cap O-ring, and ask them how much they would charge. If it's something they do routinely, they'll give you a quote within a minute.
Old 12-20-18 | 07:37 AM
Clutchless

Here is an exploded drawing of the 2010 RX350 6 speed automatic transmission which shows the gasket, part no. 96711-24030 also identified as 33403N. It is in the exact same location as in the prior transmission drawing I linked, so obviously, Aisin based ours on that older case design. I think it is more toward the back center facing the firewall and will be difficult to see and access due to the intake manifold etc above it.

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...rimLevel=19109
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (12-22-18)