RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trunk/Rear Door Rattling Sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 07:47 PM
SofiaRae
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling on rear door

Hello there. My Rx350 2010 is a tank and I am taking good care of it to include some noises that appear. Recently I have a plastic-sound rattling noise coming from the rear door. I did the exercise suggested by someone of riding in the trunk while someone else drove. I softly hit with the rear with the rear of my fist on all spots of the plastic covers around the glass of the rear door. I in fact found that the plastic cover of the inside cover of one side of the door actually has a slight loose movement. NOW the trick is, how can I remove this component without breaking it in order to insert the suggested felt to buffer the movement? Can it be removed without breaking some clips? Thanks in advance! Stock images marked with arrows.

Side covers inside rear doors
Old 09-05-21, 10:36 AM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a rattle in my 13RX that I swore sounded like it came from the back seat or further back. I thought maybe something loose under the rear floor panels (where the spare and tools are). It turned out to be black plastic molded piece under the knees of the passenger side, FRONT seat. Its the black plastic molded L shaped piece attached to the front of the front seat. Mine was broken in 2 pieces. My guess is a prior owner of my car stepped on this piece or tried to use it as a support when lifting themselves. This piece is mainly trim and cannot take much force before breaking.
I glued mine back together and the rattle was gone.
Old 09-05-21, 10:37 AM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Originally Posted by SofiaRae
Hello there. My Rx350 2010 is a tank and I am taking good care of it to include some noises that appear. Recently I have a plastic-sound rattling noise coming from the rear door. I did the exercise suggested by someone of riding in the trunk while someone else drove. I softly hit with the rear with the rear of my fist on all spots of the plastic covers around the glass of the rear door. I in fact found that the plastic cover of the inside cover of one side of the door actually has a slight loose movement. NOW the trick is, how can I remove this component without breaking it in order to insert the suggested felt to buffer the movement? Can it be removed without breaking some clips? Thanks in advance! Stock images marked with arrows.

Side covers inside rear doors
I've removed this trim panel piece. I found that the plastic clips that hold it in place are easy to lose, and they easily will get lost inside the sheet metal of the rear hatch. I bought a bunch of extras and just put new ones in. The rear panel will not rattle if all the clips are present.
Old 09-06-21, 10:40 AM
SofiaRae
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for responding. Would mind sharing a few ideas of how have you addressed the rattling in the rear door? Thanks!

Originally Posted by 14RX350
You can tell I've had my share of rattles with this car. So I definitely can give you lots of ideas of what it could be hahaha.
Old 01-04-22, 03:14 PM
Paolo22
Driver School Candidate

Default type/model no. of clips

Hi, can you tell me the model no. or brand of the clips you bought? i am having the same knocking sound in that area. took it to the dealer the other yesterday. i told them the specific spot where i can hear the knock. i even drove it with the mechanic and he heard it right away. when i picked it up last night, they told me that the spare tire was loose. today, the knocking is back. smh
Old 01-04-22, 04:25 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

sure. The brand is Lexus (Toyota). Part No.: 90467-A0025
around $1 each. If you google the PN, you will find images that are wrong. Below is a photo I took just now. The clips are not round, and they go into a slot in the sheet metal, rather than a round hole. The clips are extruded plastic, so they have a constant cross section.

Old 01-04-22, 04:47 PM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Instructions for 2013-2015, for removing the power lock in PDF format. The first few pages cover the interior trim removal. Obviously, you do not need to remove your power lock unit unless its broken.

In my case, I was swapping out the liftgate motor, so I had to pull the upper interior trim to get to the 2 screws that fasten the liftgate motor actuator arm to the liftgate.
Attached Files

Last edited by AlgoTrader; 01-04-22 at 04:50 PM.