RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trunk/Rear Door Rattling Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 02:37 AM
kmjs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trunk/Rear Door Rattling Sound

Hi guys, Im new to here but not new to lexus. My 2011 RX450h has been having bad ratting sounds, mostly having in the back of the trunk.

i think i might have found it at the hinge/joint of the trunk door (maybe im wrong) even if the car runs very slow, it would still have the rattling sound. it has been frustrating me! of course, the doors have a little too.

has anyone dealt with the same situation before and how to do it? truly appreciate if you all big bros/sis s can help out.

J
Old 01-16-19, 09:37 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

For the doors, I was able to resolve the ratttling by removimg the door panel and placing a thin piece of felt over the top of the door frame where the door panel sits. I also replaced all of the door panel clips.
As far as the rear door, mine is rattling below the window, where that large piece of trim covers the rear hatch. I haven't taken it off yet, but I planned to replace the clips and add some insulation where needed.
Of course with the trunk it's always advised to clear it out completely and take out all the tools and spare first, to make sure that isn't the issue with something loose back there.
Old 01-17-19, 08:16 AM
kmjs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 14RX350
For the doors, I was able to resolve the ratttling by removimg the door panel and placing a thin piece of felt over the top of the door frame where the door panel sits. I also replaced all of the door panel clips.
As far as the rear door, mine is rattling below the window, where that large piece of trim covers the rear hatch. I haven't taken it off yet, but I planned to replace the clips and add some insulation where needed.
Of course with the trunk it's always advised to clear it out completely and take out all the tools and spare first, to make sure that isn't the issue with something loose back there.
Thank you for ur reply n let me try to find out the problem. Appreciate it. But most of the sound is from the roof.
Old 01-17-19, 08:23 AM
14RX350
Driver

Your welcome. Hope ur able to figure it out. The roof rattle for me was that the sunroof bolts we're loose and rattled. Had to have the headliner taken down and them tightened up.
Old 01-17-19, 11:50 AM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure what your noise is but take a look at the struts which operate the hatch. I have noted my experience in another thread titled squeaks and rattles.
Old 01-17-19, 11:53 AM
garbo
Driver

"squeak/chirping is the other thread...not squeaks and rattles, sorry about that
Old 01-17-19, 12:52 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 541 Likes on 379 Posts

Make sure the small panel right below the hatch window is fully seated. It can get caught on cargo when closing the match and pop out, causing it to rattle.
Old 01-17-19, 06:44 PM
kmjs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 14RX350
Your welcome. Hope ur able to figure it out. The roof rattle for me was that the sunroof bolts we're loose and rattled. Had to have the headliner taken down and them tightened up.
Looks like I have to try everything hahaha thank you so much
Old 01-17-19, 06:53 PM
kmjs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garbo
I am not sure what your noise is but take a look at the struts which operate the hatch. I have noted my experience in another thread titled squeaks and rattles.
Thank you for ur reply. This is one of the spots that I think the sound might come out. But how I can deal with the struts/hinge? I just went to a local pro, I was told most of these Toyota/ Lexus models from 2008-2013 (he has dealt with many of these model year) are having the same problem from the roof which is the Glue between the roof is being oxidized n harden so when it bumps or shakes make the rattle/squeak sound. He doesn't want to do it for me becoz of all the little spot he needs to cover n might miss so he rather teaching me how to do it then having me paid him to do it. I have to try and see whats going on next.
Old 01-17-19, 06:55 PM
kmjs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droid13
Make sure the small panel right below the hatch window is fully seated. It can get caught on cargo when closing the match and pop out, causing it to rattle.
This is one of the spots that I think of but how can I deal with this panel, I trtied o take out but didn't work for me. Any idea? Appreciate it .
Old 01-17-19, 11:31 PM
14RX350
Driver

Maybe have someone else drive while you're in the back seat listening. You really want to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.
Old 01-18-19, 04:48 AM
garbo
Driver

in my case the dealer disconnected and removed the rear hatch struts, drove it and the noise disappeared. They then reinstalled the same struts and the noise reappeared. When the noise came back a year later, they looked at the hatched and found it was not properly aligned.
Old 01-18-19, 10:33 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Another thought ( since I recently had a similar issue, and it drove me crazy trying to chase down the rattle! ). It turned out to be the privacy shade rest ( the part right below the glass on the hatch ) that had come loose!! Ugh! All I needed to do was snap it back in place and voila!

Just a thought..
Old 01-18-19, 02:18 PM
14RX350
Driver

Originally Posted by m5rahul
Another thought ( since I recently had a similar issue, and it drove me crazy trying to chase down the rattle! ). It turned out to be the privacy shade rest ( the part right below the glass on the hatch ) that had come loose!! Ugh! All I needed to do was snap it back in place and voila!

Just a thought..
Thats a good point. Definitely take the whole privacy shade setup out and retest to make sure that isn't it. Those things are known to rattle. And if u take it to the dealer with it installed, they will just blame it on that regardless.
Old 01-18-19, 02:21 PM
14RX350
Driver

Originally Posted by kmjs
Looks like I have to try everything hahaha thank you so much
You can tell I've had my share of rattles with this car. So I definitely can give you lots of ideas of what it could be hahaha.

Quick Reply: Trunk/Rear Door Rattling Sound