RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tire Pressure Sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 11:01 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
^^ And that is exactly why I asked the question regarding recalibration of the TPMS system in another thread about a week ago pertaining to tire rotations. I read this same passage in our 2015 RX350 owners manual. It led me to believe that whenever I rotate my tires, I will have to recalibrate the system.
I have rotated a number of times and replaced tires once on my 2015 and in no instance did I have to do anything to the TPMS
The following users liked this post:
RX in NC (01-21-19)
Old 05-24-21, 06:56 PM
igetit14is
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently had my tires replaced and had flat lines for pressures immediately following the install,, shop couldn't figure it out, researched and talked with friends in the business,, turns out lexus puts corner specific color coded specific sensors on some cars and they can not be moved, c2198 and all the other associated codes came up, and sure enough, my right front wheel had been placed on the left front and this created a problem. tomorrow we're going to place it back where it belongs and clear codes to see if its that simple, I'f not, we'll do the relearn/reprogram i.d.'s and see what happens..
if you're having tire work done you should ask the shop (incase they don't know) to put your wheels back where they came from to eliminate the potential BS I and so many others have had to chase.
Old 06-15-21, 08:45 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I would like to know how the TPMS actually works. It does not tell me which tire is low/high, only that there is a pressure problem. Should all the pressures be the same? Should they all be above a specific threshold? Should they all be below a specific threshold? Or does it just compare them to each other and if there is an imbalance it warns you? I have a techstream but have not yet hooked it up. Will that let me find the problem?
Old 06-16-21, 02:48 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
I would like to know how the TPMS actually works. It does not tell me which tire is low/high, only that there is a pressure problem. Should all the pressures be the same? Should they all be above a specific threshold? Should they all be below a specific threshold? Or does it just compare them to each other and if there is an imbalance it warns you? I have a techstream but have not yet hooked it up. Will that let me find the problem?
Read post 8 he explained how the system works.
Old 07-14-21, 06:22 PM
MacCat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2015 RX 350 just showed me this display.
It turned out to be the left front tire was low (25 lbs).
I keep them at 32 psi, which is what the tire recommends and the door panel says.

I have not been able to find any mention of the tiny red dots in the Lexus manuals.
Old 01-12-22, 01:39 PM
salimshah

Received 1,090 Likes on 981 Posts
Default I think the battery has been depleted

Celebrating 10yrs with one sensor calling it quits .... the other 3 seem to be sending the info in reasonable time, but the fourth is just lazy.

How many think it is the battery? Consensus is the life should be about 10yrs.

Salim
Old 01-13-22, 04:39 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 344 Posts

10 years is good. Most of the TPMS literature I have seen says to expect 7 to 8 years. My 2013 Outback 3.6R was built in April 2013 and to my knowledge still has all four of its factory sensors.
MacCat (01-17-22)
Old 01-13-22, 08:12 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,189 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Time for new TPMS sensors. Go to Costco if a member. I found the best price there. They used Schrader and they do have to be programmed. Or get new tires at the same time.
Don't believe them if they tell you to drive around and come back if they don't auto program. Toyota/Lexus requires TPMS programming. It only takes a few minutes.
MacCat (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 12:54 PM
MacCat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get new tires about every 4 years.
I get the TPMS sensor replaced every other tire change.
It doesn't cost much and COSTCO does the best tire service I have every had.
With nitrogen gas, they never get soft.
I won't buy tires at another store because nobody else uses nitrogen or gives me that option.
I worked on airplanes for years and it's routine in the hanger and on the race track, so why not in tire stores ?

BTW, while my Lexus Dealer does not offer nitrogen, they did over me a choice of 7 different brand tires at competitive prices - that did surprise me.
Old 01-17-22, 01:18 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by MacCat
I get new tires about every 4 years.
I get the TPMS sensor replaced every other tire change.
It doesn't cost much and COSTCO does the best tire service I have every had.
With nitrogen gas, they never get soft.
I won't buy tires at another store because nobody else uses nitrogen or gives me that option.
I worked on airplanes for years and it's routine in the hanger and on the race track, so why not in tire stores ?

BTW, while my Lexus Dealer does not offer nitrogen, they did over me a choice of 7 different brand tires at competitive prices - that did surprise me.
They don't offer nitrogen because for street use it is worthless. The air we breath is 78% nitrogen.
alisher (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 04:15 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 430 Likes on 344 Posts

Yep, nitrogen can make a favorable difference in giant aircraft tires. For automobile tires, it is inconsequential.
Old 01-22-22, 01:04 PM
doji
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the TPMS light blink on start and become solid a month back. Chalked it down to the sensors almost 10 years old. Pulled out my Autel TS508 and one of the sensors was not emitting any signal, likely a dead battery. And another with a weak battery. Put some black electrical tape on the dash so the light would be less obstrusive.
Fast forward a month and it’s been 0-5 degrees and the TPMS light disappeared! I don’t know what could have caused it, but I’ll take it 😀
samsonn25 (06-15-23)
Old 01-26-22, 01:42 PM
ejdossary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dear tranft, I have 2012 RX350 and just experienced what you just reported on you 2009 RX !! My tire pressure LIGHT came on flashing and then stayed solid ! Checked tire pressures on all tires and spare !!! Filled all tires including the SPARE to 35lbs ! Reviewed my LEXUS manual on page 501 that stated that the reset button on right of the Steering wheel will reset the light. However, looking for that RESET button, I found no such Reset Switch there !!
Conclusion: After reading your report, I am sure now that my problem is a bad sensor one !! Thank you for sharing !! EJ Dossary, EE
Old 01-26-22, 02:32 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by igetit14is
I recently had my tires replaced and had flat lines for pressures immediately following the install,, shop couldn't figure it out, researched and talked with friends in the business,, turns out lexus puts corner specific color coded specific sensors on some cars and they can not be moved, c2198 and all the other associated codes came up, and sure enough, my right front wheel had been placed on the left front and this created a problem. tomorrow we're going to place it back where it belongs and clear codes to see if its that simple, I'f not, we'll do the relearn/reprogram i.d.'s and see what happens..
if you're having tire work done you should ask the shop (incase they don't know) to put your wheels back where they came from to eliminate the potential BS I and so many others have had to chase.
I’ve never heard of sensors being location specific. I’m pretty sure you just needed to intialize the system and it would recognize their new positions.
Old 01-26-22, 05:27 PM
salimshah

Received 1,090 Likes on 981 Posts

I have never had any problems with rotating tires. The only thing I cant tell where each of the reading is coming from, but who cares.

Salim

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor issue