RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX450h with no sound from radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 11:41 PM
dlynch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450h with no sound from radio?

I have a 2104 RX450h that worked fine until it didn't!!
I shut the car off then 8 hours later I lost all sound in the car!
There is no audio!!
This is the 1 disk CD changer and not Levinson.

Everything else functions fine. All controls to the radio and gps. I first checked all fuses and tried resetting everything by disconnecting the battery.

I first though it was the amplifier but sent it out to find it is fine.

When I did the diagnostic through the screen it show the inputs are all good from the steering wheel and volume control but I have no volume control and I also found the Treble Mid & Bass control is gone along with the DSP and Fade.

The shop I sent the amp to said from the start my amp hardly ever goes bad unless it has water damage and he tested to see it is in fact still good. He keeps saying he thinks it is wirring but I can't believe something went wrong with the wiring while the car just sat for 8 hours.
I have to believe it is component related??

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-19, 12:05 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a 2004 RX330 and last summer I also had the dreaded no sound and no control. I did the following and waited 30 minutes.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-control.html
Old 01-24-19, 02:25 PM
dlynch
Driver School Candidate

Default Radio reset

QUOTE=Audiqv8;10419058]I have a 2004 RX330 and last summer I also had the dreaded no sound and no control. I did the following and waited 30 minutes.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-control.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks but I don't think that will work being that I tried disconnecting the battery which should act as the same thing.

Last edited by dlynch; 01-24-19 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Changed placement
Old 01-24-19, 06:38 PM
LexusHoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened in my GS.. it was the amp. I found one on line at a salvage yard, paid about $250 less than Lexus wanted, easy install.. worked like a charm. Amps can go bad. Oh, and I also made sure the salvage yard took returns in case it wasn’t the amp. That was important as Lexus wouldn’t let me “borrow” one to test.

Last edited by LexusHoo; 01-24-19 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 09:39 PM
dlynch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusHoo
Same thing happened in my GS.. it was the amp. I found one on line at a salvage yard, paid about $250 less than Lexus wanted, easy install.. worked like a charm. Amps can go bad. Oh, and I also made sure the salvage yard took returns in case it wasn’t the amp. That was important as Lexus wouldn’t let me “borrow” one to test.

Not the amplifier since it checks out good. The shop I sent it to for repair says he never sees the 1 I have go bad and is leaning towards something wrong with the wiring from the receiver to the amp??
I don't see how since nothing was done to the car but that's what I'm going to check out next!
Old 01-24-19, 10:50 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

If you sent out the amp and it checked good, it could be just as simple as missing power and ground to the amp.
When you say you checked fuses, what fuses and how many did you check for the amp and radio?
There could be multiple fuses that power your amp.
I believe you that its highly unlikely a bad wiring.
But it still needs to be check to rule it out.

When my my volume went out, it was diagnosed as a bad amp.
I had power and ground going in to it but no sounds to the speaker and thats how i found out.

Old 01-24-19, 10:58 PM
dlynch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
If you sent out the amp and it checked good, it could be just as simple as missing power and ground to the amp.
When you say you checked fuses, what fuses and how many did you check for the amp and radio?
There could be multiple fuses that power your amp.
I believe you that its highly unlikely a bad wiring.
But it still needs to be check to rule it out.

When my my volume went out, it was diagnosed as a bad amp.
I had power and ground going in to it but no sounds to the speaker and thats how i found out.
I checked 3 different fuses for the system that were all good. The system still does exactly the same thing with the amp out and the amp checks out good from the repair shop so it has to be the wiring to it or the receiver not sending the signal to it??
The shop says he doubts it is the receiver that anytime he has seen this it is the wiring. I find it hard to believe also that the wiring just went bad but I have to rule that out next.
Old 01-24-19, 11:13 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by dlynch
I checked 3 different fuses for the system that were all good. The system still does exactly the same thing with the amp out and the amp checks out good from the repair shop so it has to be the wiring to it or the receiver not sending the signal to it??
The shop says he doubts it is the receiver that anytime he has seen this it is the wiring. I find it hard to believe also that the wiring just went bad but I have to rule that out next.
Yea, i dont know what your power wires are but ground is usually a WHITE wire w/ a BLACK tracer.
If you have that, Ohm it out and see if it is indeed grounded.

You would have to get a wiring diagram to check for power going to the AMP.
Old 01-28-19, 06:07 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dlynch
QUOTE=Audiqv8;10419058]I have a 2004 RX330 and last summer I also had the dreaded no sound and no control. I did the following and waited 30 minutes.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-control.html

Thanks but I don't think that will work being that I tried disconnecting the battery which should act as the same thing.[/QUOTE]

did you unplug the battery for at least 30 minutes? It takes some time for all the power to dissipate so to speak to reset the head unit in this fashion.
Old 01-28-19, 01:12 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Outside chance the overhead "SOS" button for the Safety Connect was been pressed and is now
jammed up? SOS takes over the mics and speakers. Try pressing (repressing?) the button, it will
either start a call in which case it was not the OP's trouble or it will announce that "your emergency
call has ended..." which will solve your original problem.