RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear tailgate communication not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 01:39 AM
UlesPt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tailgate communication not working

Hi.
After a battery change by the RAC my rear tailgate stopped working. Although initially it worked a couple of times then stopped. After some research I disconnected the positive connection and reconnected which made it work again once or twice.
Dealer has told me me that the rear tailgate motor needs to be replaced as the computer unit and motor come as one. This is obviously an eye watering £1400 after diagnostics.
Does any body have any alternative suggestions. Bit gutted a aboot worked fine before battery change.
Thanks.
Old 02-11-19, 06:17 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if your vehicle is still covered by warranty but that's a hell of a costly item.
Did you confirm that the tailgate won't go up by either pushing the button below the steering wheel or the key fob? I'm also assuming that you've confirmed that the deactivate button in the glove box is on!
I honestly won't go for the repair at the moment as I don't feel it's an urgent matter but it depends on what you feel about it. I would wait until it gets a bit warmer and try again. I would even remove the tailgate lining and test the motor while someone bushing the button just for the heck of it. It seems like an easy DIY when it comes to replacing the motor/computer.

Last, did you check the price in the US or Canada? If there's a substantial difference why don't you order from there?

Please keep us posted.. Cheers..
Old 02-11-19, 08:12 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would definitely wait before replacing anything. I feel like I read that is one of the things that could need to be reprogrammed or something when the battery is changed, or there is some procedure when changing the battery. I'll see if I can find the info tomorrow. I just wanted to message u quickly and tell u to wait before giving them any of your money.
Old 02-13-19, 10:32 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I was able to find a bulletin from Lexus about the rear tailgate and battery correlation. I've pasted the gist of it below. I'm not sure I understand it completely though as they speak of "resetting" and "initializing" it and I'm not sure what those entail. I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion from a different dealership and explain to them what happened. There are dishonest dealerships just like there are dishonest private mechanics, so while it is possible that they are being truthful, you really don't know. I would want a second opinion before doing anything, especially because it worked before the battery was changed and it is mentioned as something that is of concern when doing that.
Here's the info I found:
"When disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal, initialize the following systems after the cable is reconnected. Parking Assist Monitor, System Back Door Closer System, Power Back Door System"
"If the back door is closed when disconnecting the cable from the battery terminal, it is not necessary to reset it. The power back door ECU controls the locked or unlocked state of the back door based on its memory. If the connector for the power back door ECU is disconnected and reconnected, the back door will need to be unlocked before it can be operated."
"Reset Memory cannot be completed by only disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the negative (-) battery terminal."
"After the engine switch is turned off, the display and navigation module display (HDD navigation system) records various types of memory and settings. As a result, after turning the engine switch off, make sure to wait at least 60 seconds before disconnecting the cable from the negative (–) battery terminal."
Old 02-14-19, 06:01 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mind sharing the bulletin number or the bulletin itself? It seems to be valuable to keep.
Thanks,